What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

I have the M, R, and H plates in both open comb and closed comb. So far I have used the M1, M2, R1 and R2 (currently with two shaves in) and so far I find the M2 better than the R1 but it is close and the best one so far is the R2 for me. Not sure if or when I will adventure to the H ones but for me at least is seems like the open comb are nicer, give a closer shave and provide more feedback.

Just ordered the S1 Atlas from Italian Barber...just noticed they were starting to carry ATT! Looking forward to giving this a try and comparing it next to my iKon Slant (w/ new Teflon coating) and my Merkur 39C. Three great slants!

So with a few shaves under my belt with the S1 Atlas slant I can say I am thoroughly impressed with this S-O-L-I-D razor. Just holding it in your hand and the heft really hits you. Just a great razor and feel when you're shaving with it. It's on the milder side of the slants I own (39C and iKon Slant w/ teflon coating), but it is very efficient too. Can it be used as a daily driver? Sure thing, my 39C is a bit too much for that (and I limit it to 2 passes; though I can get a very close shave with 2 passes on the 39C).

Overall in terms of aggressiveness I would rate them:

R41 (I know, it's not a slant, but wanted to give some perspective here) >> Merkur Futur (setting 3) > 39C > iKon Slant > Atlas S1

Overall, I think I prefer the slightly more aggressive and efficient iKon Slant (mine is the newer on with the teflon coating, I haven't tried the others). But the Atlas S1 is one heck of a slant and if you're looking for a daily driver that is also more efficient than standard razors, you should consider this razor!

So with a few shaves under my belt with the S1 Atlas slant I can say I am thoroughly impressed with this S-O-L-I-D razor. Just holding it in your hand and the heft really hits you. Just a great razor and feel when you're shaving with it. It's on the milder side of the slants I own (39C and iKon Slant w/ teflon coating), but it is very efficient too. Can it be used as a daily driver? Sure thing, my 39C is a bit too much for that (and I limit it to 2 passes; though I can get a very close shave with 2 passes on the 39C).

Overall in terms of aggressiveness I would rate them:

R41 (I know, it's not a slant, but wanted to give some perspective here) >> Merkur Futur (setting 3) > 39C > iKon Slant > Atlas S1

Overall, I think I prefer the slightly more aggressive and efficient iKon Slant (mine is the newer on with the teflon coating, I haven't tried the others). But the Atlas S1 is one heck of a slant and if you're looking for a daily driver that is also more efficient than standard razors, you should consider this razor!

Thanks for the report. Never tried a slant, but I can def say that I LOVE my Kronos H1. Yes, a SOLID feel is definitely something that jumps out at you every time you pick it up. It's a pleasure to shave with each and every time.

Perhaps one of these days I'll be overwhelmed with curiosity and try the S1... :lol:

I posted a 4 piece ATT set in the marketplace for sale if anyone is interested.

I would buy it in a heartbeat if it was the M plate instead of R. I have S2, which is basically same as R, from what I've heard. Just an FYI: I'm not trying to beat you up for personal gain, because I already have one, but you're asking more for your Futur than you can buy them for new on Amazon. Just thought you might like to know.

I've never had rash from my M1 Kronos. Nicks are infrequent (one at most). I get a CCS/DFS with two passes - one WTG then the second one XTG from jaw/chin and above and WTG on my neck.

I love the M1 in every way.

I've read through this entire thread and found some really great info - thanks everyone! I even read through another thread that compared the Atlas M1 to the Feather AS-D2 and that was really helpful, too. I was going to post up a few more questions I had, but instead I just went ahead and ordered the Kronos M1 !!! which was what Stan recommended after we traded a few emails.

My only real hesitation is that I can only budget one SS razor+handle. I can't afford a multi-piece set, nor can I just add more base plates or handles - I would have to exchange/return what I have for something different/new, which is exactly why I went with ATT. If for whatever reason my M1 doesn't become my daily driver (I shave every day) I will have Stan's generous return offer to hopefully find the right match!!

Now I just have to get over a little sticker shock :blink:

I've read through this entire thread and found some really great info - thanks everyone! I even read through another thread that compared the Atlas M1 to the Feather AS-D2 and that was really helpful, too. I was going to post up a few more questions I had, but instead I just went ahead and ordered the Kronos M1 !!! which was what Stan recommended after we traded a few emails.

My only real hesitation is that I can only budget one SS razor+handle. I can't afford a multi-piece set, nor can I just add more base plates or handles - I would have to exchange/return what I have for something different/new, which is exactly why I went with ATT. If for whatever reason my M1 doesn't become my daily driver (I shave every day) I will have Stan's generous return offer to hopefully find the right match!!

Now I just have to get over a little sticker shock :blink:

I'm confident you'll not be disappointed. These razors are world-class lifetime precision tools. Even after a few months of EVERY DAY use I still get a thrill every time I pick it up and begin the shave. It's something I'm very proud to own and use.

The Kronos M1 is an excellent choice. :thumbup1:

I'm confident you'll not be disappointed. These razors are world-class lifetime precision tools. Even after a few months of EVERY DAY use I still get a thrill every time I pick it up and begin the shave. It's something I'm very proud to own and use.

The Kronos M1 is an excellent choice. :thumbup1:

Thanks JCS!!

I don't make purchases like this lightly, and only after a lot of digging for info. I'm really hoping to find a nice balance of precision and mildness that make shaving everyday a joy. I do have a few vintages but I've come to realize that while I like them a lot, I think I would rather pass them along to someone who would use them almost every day - I really am much more of a razor user, rather than a razor collector.

And now I wait patiently and keep my fingers crossed that my Gillette Silver Blues will work just fine in the M1, too ;-)

^^^ I don't collect either. I have two razors, the Kronos H1 and a '55 Super Speed that's my occasional retro shave when I feel like it (which is not all that often, but I still love that SS - you gotta have a vintage Gillette!). The Kronos is my everyday razor.

^^^ I don't collect either. I have two razors, the Kronos H1 and a '55 Super Speed that's my occasional retro shave when I feel like it (which is not all that often, but I still love that SS - you gotta have a vintage Gillette!). The Kronos is my everyday razor.

I admire your simplicity. I also don't collect, but I still have 25 or 30 razors. Although I'm on a BBX kick, I could easily live with only the razor, soap and AS mentioned in your signature line. (My blade of choice would be Indian Green or GSB.) I do miss my H1 and H2, but have been getting great results using the BBX with the Kronos handle.

full

Last edited by a moderator:

Kronos h1 is not a little aggressvie for daily shaving?

Kronos h1 is not a little aggressvie for daily shaving?

I've had no problems with rash or irritation - however I don't shave ATG. No razor regardless of how mild works for me ATG, esp on my neck. I do two passes, WTG and XTG and I get a CCS/DFS each day.

The H1 definitely requires a light touch or it will bite, but it gives me great shaves every day.

I've had no problems with rash or irritation - however I don't shave ATG. No razor regardless of how mild works for me ATG, esp on my neck. I do two passes, WTG and XTG and I get a CCS/DFS each day.

The H1 definitely requires a light touch or it will bite, but it gives me great shaves every day.

Well i use r1 daily with personna or polsilver. And do 3 passes. Which blad edo you use? And maybe i should try h1 also with 2 passes

Well i use r1 daily with personna or polsilver. And do 3 passes. Which blad edo you use? And maybe i should try h1 also with 2 passes

I use the Astra SP 90% of the time and it's been a great blade. Though lately I've just begun trying the Gillette Platinum (I was gifted a few tucks of these) and that's given me some great shaves, perhaps even a tiny bit closer than the Astra SP.

I love my ATT Kronos OC 5 piece set. Astra SP have been spectacular in the ATT for me. I've stuck to the R2 mostly so far, but each base plate feels magnificent with the Astra in it. I'm trying out other blades from my sample pack at the moment, but nothing stands out compared to the Astra for me, ofc YMMV.

Top Bottom