What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

Took the plunge and ordered the atlas m1 with an extra m2 plate. Really looking forward to it. I was torn between the Kronos and the atlas, but I figured I'd start small and work my way up as I need, or if I need.

Just bought an R1 head and a Shavecraft LE handle(love long handles but didn't like the look of the Colossus) to pair it with - super excited!

So I feel I have had my 7 piece set for long enough to write a semi review.

So I just got my new baseplate that I swapped out and have shaved with 4 of the 6 plates and two of the handles. Here are my impressions.

M1 - Very mild. On par with a tech or Merkur 25c. For me it made me feel like I had to apply pressure it was so smooth. Shave was good but not super close. I would say it's a mild razor overall. If that is what you like this would be perfect but not for me and I swapped it out.

R1 - Big step up in aggressiveness from the M1 but still not super aggressive. I would say on par with an Edwin Jagger DE 89, all the EJ clones, Gilllette New, etc. Still smooth because of the smaller blade gape but a medium aggressive razor.

H1 - A slight step up in aggressiveness from the R1. Since there is a big blade gap and exposure it has a very large range of cutting angles. Super close shave. This is the most aggressive razor I own so I can't really compare it to anything else.

R2 - Felt more aggressive then the R1 and maybe even slightly more than the H1. The open comb has a unique feel that you can really feel on your face. Very strong feedback on what your doing.

To me it seems the more aggressive you go the wider the range of cutting angles you can use. The ATT M1 has a very small blade gap and I think my beard may be too coarse for that. I thought I would feel some tugging from the small gap. The R1 is a wider gap and that feeling started going away. The gap is still smaller than an EJ. The H1 has a bigger blade gap than most regular razors so I never had that sensation.

I have used the R1 for a bunch of shaves and I just used the H1 once so far. The H1 was a closer shave and the aftershave stung way less with less irritation. I hope it wasn't a fluke and the H1 seems to be my go to razor. I will keep the R1 as a backup if the H1 seems a little too aggressive but I don't think it will be. I also like the option of the R2 in case I need to hack down a lot of growth as the open comb won't clog up.

As far as handles I got the Kronos and Colossus. Both beautiful and I am leaning towards the colossus most shaves and one shave I even stopped with the Kronos and put the colossus on. The Kronos is nice but that extra length is really good. Seems my preference is the colossus H1 which I would never have expected as I never really went for aggressive razors before but it shaves so nice.

As far as price and all that. At first I bought it and started with a head that wasn't as good for me (M1). I got great shaves but nothing to justify the price. After trying more baseplates and more use I can say the ATT system won me over. I expected an immediate love and shave changing experience but I had to dial in my setup that worked for me. Now at this point I get it. I can't see shaving with anything else other than just wanting to shave with something else for no real reason. The quality is so superb. I am a perfectionist and this razor is just flawless. For this type of quality the price is worth it. Stan was a pleasure to deal with. I felt guilty making an exchange but it wasn't treated that way at all. Always easy to contact and deal with him. I plan on selling off a couple of my other razors as the ATT is that good. I think the system covers all bases very well. Mild, medium and aggressive. Closed bar and open comb. Short handle, medium and long handle. I know YMMV but I think picking a setup that works for you can be done. All I know is I will be buying the slant when it comes out too. I look forward to using this razor for my lifetime and passing it down. I really like the fact that it says 2014 on it as well.

Anyone hesitating to try an ATT give it a try. The quality, material, customer service, satisfaction guarantee and shaves are all amazing and for a piece this nice you shouldn't feel it is expensive. And let's be honest. Add up some of your other shaving purchases and you could have bought an ATT easily.

Never had much RAD, more SBAD. My ATT M2 is the only razor I use. Still have an R89 that is gathering dust and will be sold. Hoping Stan will come out with a slant. Might get an R2 or H2 plate at some point, but other than that I'm good.

I was impressed with Leisureguy's book on DE shaving, so I subscribe via RSS to his blog. As such, I caught this new, extremely positive review of the ATT R1 from him:

My Above the Tie R1 baseplate (the moderate one) is fantastic—with an Astra Superior Platinum blade it removed my two-day stubble comfortably and effortlessly. As I wrote to them when I returned my H1 baseplate to exchange for an R2 (open-comb), “I’m extremely impressed by the R1’s shaving feel and performance: it somehow conveys a feel of precision: no slop in the razor ups your game a notch, I think. You want a shave that lives up to the razor.” I continue to be impressed by the ATT razor.

Cheers,
Shawn

I have used the R1 for a bunch of shaves and I just used the H1 once so far. The H1 was a closer shave and the aftershave stung way less with less irritation. I hope it wasn't a fluke and the H1 seems to be my go to razor.

So, Jinx18 ... was the first shave with your H1 a fluke? Or is still your go to razor?

Cheers,
Shawn

So, Jinx18 ... was the first shave with your H1 a fluke? Or is still your go to razor?

Cheers,
Shawn

I do love the H1. I have been going back and for the between the H1 and the R1. For me they are very similar. I am deciding which I like more and would use more often. They are both amazing and if I only had one or the other it wouldn't really be a big deal. But I have both so I like to find the little differences. I have figured out that I don't really like the open comb feel. The R2 shave is just as good closeness wise but when shaving you can feel the combs. With the solid bar it just feels smoother. Post shave is same but during has a different feel. I do like the concept of an open comb and being able to hack weeks of growth but I'm sure I could get the same done with the solid bars.

I also have the Kronos and colossus handles and am really liking the colossus.

Started with an R2, got the R1 and M 1 plates now. Have to say that the R1 is becoming my daily driver. I'm going to really watch the next 6 months and see if my baseline for a great shave with the R1 is still the same. best shaving tool in my repertoire

I posted earlier about my complete satisfaction with my ATT. What continues to impress is their ongoing research and development as well as product releases.

So I haven't been on here in a while (work got busy), but I'll throw my two cents in.

I started off with the Kronos R1. I found it to be what I thought was a bit too aggressive. I also have a thing for OCs, so I utilized ATT/Stan's amazing return policy and grabbed the M2. I've shaved with it now four (4) times and while I don't think it is too "aggressive", I find it to be just plain rough. I used a new Polsilver SI blade for the first two, and followed up with a feather for the latter two shaves (both blades are on my personal "top smoothness" charts for most of my other razors). None of the four shaves were anywhere near as smooth as my Gillette New OC and now I'm perplexed. I liked the weight of the razor, but I'm not at all sold on either R1 or M2 head.

Is it worth trying to the M1? Again, my issue wasn't "aggressiveness" per se, in as much as just plain rough.

Thanks in advance, folks!

So I haven't been on here in a while (work got busy), but I'll throw my two cents in.

I started off with the Kronos R1. I found it to be what I thought was a bit too aggressive. I also have a thing for OCs, so I utilized ATT/Stan's amazing return policy and grabbed the M2. I've shaved with it now four (4) times and while I don't think it is too "aggressive", I find it to be just plain rough. I used a new Polsilver SI blade for the first two, and followed up with a feather for the latter two shaves (both blades are on my personal "top smoothness" charts for most of my other razors). None of the four shaves were anywhere near as smooth as my Gillette New OC and now I'm perplexed. I liked the weight of the razor, but I'm not at all sold on either R1 or M2 head.

Is it worth trying to the M1? Again, my issue wasn't "aggressiveness" per se, in as much as just plain rough.

I've tuned down to a smoother blade in my M2. Using a GSB or Gillette Green. The Gillette Black was too much. I haven't tried a Feather yet.

I've tuned down to a smoother blade in my M2. Using a GSB or Gillette Green. The Gillette Black was too much. I haven't tried a Feather yet.

I may give this a shot. In order, my blades usually rank:

1: Feather
2: Polsilver SI
3: Gillette 7OC Black.

Since I've tried the first two, I may try the third to see if it's better.

The M1 and M2 have reportedly pretty different feels to them:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/410532-Above-the-Tie-(ATT)-M1-vs-M2

So, yes ... I'd say you should swap.

You might also try another shave with a more mild blade (Astra, Crystal, Personna Lab), as the Polisilver and Feather are both thought to be extra sharp....

Regardless, I'd contact Stan to see what his swap policy is on already swapped baseplates. You may not have enough time to experiment with different blades before swapping for an M1.

Cheers,
Shawn

The M1 and M2 have reportedly pretty different feels to them:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/410532-Above-the-Tie-(ATT)-M1-vs-M2

So, yes ... I'd say you should swap.

You might also try another shave with a more mild blade (Astra, Crystal, Personna Lab), as the Polisilver and Feather are both thought to be extra sharp....

Regardless, I'd contact Stan to see what his swap policy is on already swapped baseplates. You may not have enough time to experiment with different blades before swapping for an M1.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn,

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking maybe try the BST as I'm closing out on the 30 day warranty anyhow (it's a great warranty).

I have a TON of Personna Labs, so I'll give it a shot this evening, specifically with the lab!

I have tried the M1, R1, H1 and R2. What you are describing is exactly how I feel about the R2. The feel of the open comb is nothing like the feel of the closed bar. I wouldn't bother trying more blades. I would just swap for the M1. It is much more mild than the R1 and doesn't have the harsher feel of the M2. The combs give that harsh feeling you are describing.

So, first shave with my Atlas was a few minutes ago. I got it with the M2 and added an extra M1. I had never shaved with an open comb razor before, but I went straight to the M2 thinking it would be mild enough...but it wasn't what I expected. Easy places to shave (cheeks) were butter smooth, but difficult places seemed even more difficult. On my neck, I got a lot of weird feelings. I don't know if it was tugging, or if I'm just not cut out for an open comb. At first I though I was nicking the crap out of myself, but the AS application wasn't quite as bad as I was bracing for (still not stellar though), so that's why I was thinking it was maybe tugging. Just wasn't smooth. I am looking forward to the M1 and hope it works out better for me. By the way, I don't have a particularly thick beard, I had shaved yesterday, and I was using an Astra blade.

Last edited:
I have to say the price puts me off a little,
but recently being struck with the fact (previously unknown to me) that my R41 has a 5 year life expectancy.
The investment in an enduring SS razor might be worth it.
Guess I need to start saving up my shekels!

Top Bottom