What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

I don't use any safety bar razors except the Ikon Shavecraft Tech, but one factor for me is the open combs leave lather behind for buffing and touch-up, while the safety bars sweep the lather clean off the face. This OC advantage matters to me.

Is the H2 more aggressive than the H1?

I've heard yes and no on this. Some say the H2 is a tiny bit more aggressive, but others have said it's the same.

I can tell you that I've been using the H1 daily for about 5 months now and I can say it's an excellent shave. A very light touch - just guide the razor... No pressure is the key.

Is the H2 more aggressive than the H1?

The H1 is my favorite razor, but I haven't tried the H2. My understanding is that they are supposed to be identical razors except for teeth being cut into the H2. Theoretically they should be the same, but from survey results the H2 averages out to be very slightly more aggressive...

Poll summary:

4 responded that the Above the Tie (ATT) H1 (straight bar) razor felt more aggressive to them
7 responded that the Above the Tie (ATT) H2 (open comb) razor felt more aggressive to them
2 responded that they feel about the same

In addition to the poll results, this thread also has some good discussion on H1 vs. H2:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/410536-Above-the-Tie-(ATT)-H1-vs-H2

Cheers,
Shawn

Just received my Kronos R1. I shaved with the supplied Astra SP blade (in lieu of my Feathers). A huge jump in "contact" from my Feather ASD2 as stated in other places. However, I expected with my straight razor experience that I could sense/feel when to back off my touch. Well, I did OK. Had 1 weeper but was able to accomplish in 2 passes what took 3+ passes with the Feather ASD2 razor and Feather blade. With practice I should be able to get this one dialed in just fine.

Just received my Kronos R1. I shaved with the supplied Astra SP blade (in lieu of my Feathers). A huge jump in "contact" from my Feather ASD2 as stated in other places. However, I expected with my straight razor experience that I could sense/feel when to back off my touch. Well, I did OK. Had 1 weeper but was able to accomplish in 2 passes what took 3+ passes with the Feather ASD2 razor and Feather blade. With practice I should be able to get this one dialed in just fine.

Great first shave! Yes just guide the razor. No pressure, just barely enough to keep it from skipping is all. The blade does the work. LISTEN to the blade, you'll hear those whiskers popping as it cuts. That's how you know your angle is right.

I keep it quiet when shaving - no running water or radio. I want to be able to hear the whiskers cutting.

"I keep it quiet when shaving - no running water or radio. I want to be able to hear the whiskers cutting."

I started doing this a month ago and it does make a difference. Feedback is very important- especially in the less forgiving areas.

I started back with DE razors about a year ago after an unfortunate (for my thumb- 17 stitches) incident with a straight razor. With the ATT I am now starting to believe that I will be able to accomplish the shave that I thought I could only get with my straights. Once I confirm this I have a treasure trove of straight razors and stones and strops to sell, lol.

If you want to kick it up a notch and see what your R1 head can really do, try playing around with heavier handles than what you have. You'll be truly amazed by going heavy, such as with a Maggard MR8 handle, will do. Additional handles took my ATT heads to a whole other level. Going heavy has the tendency to force you to just let the weight of the razor do all the work. It must be tried & experienced to be believed! But it's oh so worth it.

If you want to kick it up a notch and see what your R1 head can really do, try playing around with heavier handles than what you have. You'll be truly amazed by going heavy, such as with a Maggard MR8 handle, will do. Additional handles took my ATT heads to a whole other level. Going heavy has the tendency to force you to just let the weight of the razor do all the work. It must be tried & experienced to be believed! But it's oh so worth it.

A definite +1. :thumbup:

ATT H2 with Matador S5:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya'll a bunch of enablers. My daily driver is an old Gillette NEW short comb with a Weber Bulldog handle for a bit more heft. I'd like to try a slant and am seriously considering an S1 or S2. Probably an S2, based on this thread it doesn't sound like theirs much of a performance difference between the S1 and S2, but I do prefer Open Combs.

Go for it snowman.

Oh, and I've read it here before, but there really does seem to be a reason why Stan ships Astra SP blades with his ATT razors. I've been through several blades and razors and have just gotten around to using my M2 with Astra blades. I was very happy this morning and so wasn't my neck. :)

Ya'll a bunch of enablers. My daily driver is an old Gillette NEW short comb with a Weber Bulldog handle for a bit more heft. I'd like to try a slant and am seriously considering an S1 or S2. Probably an S2, based on this thread it doesn't sound like theirs much of a performance difference between the S1 and S2, but I do prefer Open Combs.

The ATT slants are great. I have the S1 and S2. I like them about equally and shave with them both all the time, but if I could have only one ATT slant razor it would be the S2.

The ATT slants are great. I have the S1 and S2. I like them about equally and shave with them both all the time, but if I could have only one ATT slant razor it would be the S2.

Thanks for the feedback. I suspect ATT is going to be another long rabbit hole I crawl down before too long. I will probably work my way backwards like I always seem to. Start with an S2 and keep going until I hit the M1.

It's threads like this that make me consider buying a S2 baseplate to go with my S1 cap. Like I need another razor . . .

On a different note, how comfortable feeling is the S2 open comb? :tongue_sm

Top Bottom