What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

Anyone ever get rust on their razor from sitting in the inkwell stand? Just took my Kronos out and there was rust inside the inkwell stand and at the bottom of the handle. Only had it a week or so, but not too impressed with that to say the least. Has never happened to my AS-D2 in its stand.

Your AS-D2 is chrome-plated. Make sure your ATT is dry before putting it into the stand and all will be fine. :thumbup1:

Well, the S2 with the Colossus handle arrived today. For those who asked earlier, it did have a pack of Astra blades, which is what I'll load it with for the first pass tomorrow. Of course, already shaved today. Will report back tomorrow with an update on the shave.

Well, the S2 with the Colossus handle arrived today. For those who asked earlier, it did have a pack of Astra blades, which is what I'll load it with for the first pass tomorrow. Of course, already shaved today. Will report back tomorrow with an update on the shave.

Congrats on your S2! That is next on my wish list. Love that Inkwell stand too!

OK, so got to give the ATT S2 a go for the first time today. Executive summary: loved it. Fantastic razor. LOVE the Colossus handle.

Slightly longer review. Software: Nancy Boy signature pre-shave oil and shave cream. Bowl lathered with my Shavemac 177. Astra SP blade in the S2. Decided to be very cautious and keep the angles conservative. First pass WTG was very easy, with some slight tugging under my lower lip. That was due to either the Astra or more likely because I didn't keep the skin tight. Second pass ATG. Very smooth, no tugging at all. Due to the conservative angle, I had to do a little more touch-ups than I have been with the AS-D2 but that's OK with me. The touch-ups were not a problem and ended up with a DFS. I could see me getting to a BBS with practice and a feather blade.

Bottom line - very high quality razor. It is still a fairly mild tool, although slightly more aggressive than the Feather to me. I will likely switch right over to the feather blades and keep on practicing with this one. Looking forward to the next shave!

... I could see me getting to a BBS with practice and a feather blade...
With just a bit more practice/experience with it, I don't think you will need to use a Feather blade to get a BBS. I used my S2/Colossus this morning with a Blue Lab and got a 2.5 pass irritation-free BBS. I don't think that's a great accomplishment on my part or testimonial to my shaving skills, just typical of what this razor can routinely produce.

Not to beat this to death, but switched to a Feather blade today and had an even better shave than yesterday. This may end up being my daily driver. Very pleased.

The colossus is about a half inch longer, but the design and proportions do look similar.
Yea besides length it looks identical to my Colossus based on the photos. I don't own the RazoRock.
Does it specify China anywhere? I would have guessed India. Not that it makes any difference... Sure looks like a Colossus knock-off to me, too.
No just assuming. I know the heads are India from past experiences but I would bet these new batches of stainless handles that are popping up everywhere are from China. You can find them all over Chinese auction sites.

So I received my slant combo pack last night with the Kronos handle. This was my first ATT razor and it was the birthday present from the SO.

I really was impressed with the quality of the product and the in hand feel. I was looking forward to my first shave with it, which would also be my first shave with a slant razor.

My setup was MdC unscented, ATT S1 with polsilver si, and Muhle XL STF. I woke up and followed the usual routine. Hot shower with face scrub, proraso pre/post to wash face before first pass, and cold water shave.

Initial impression was that the razor was smooth but maybe not aggressive enough. I went four passes, which is usual for me, but the jaw line was a huge problem for me. I ended up with areas that would just not get BBS. Maybe I need to refine my technique with the slant, but this may not be a keeper for me. I'll try the S2 tomorrow to see how that goes and I will give myself at least 10 days before taking advantage of the great return/exchange policy. If these don't work out I will exchange them for the H1 and H2, in hopes that those will work out.

Initial impression was that the razor was smooth but maybe not aggressive enough. I went four passes, which is usual for me, but the jaw line was a huge problem for me. I ended up with areas that would just not get BBS.
This mirrors my experience. I loved the smoothness of the slant on my neck, but in areas that aren't flat I just couldn't get a close shave. The transition of the blade gap from one end to the next makes it very difficult on uneven surfaces.

If these don't work out I will exchange them for the H1 and H2, in hopes that those will work out.

You could also exchange for an R1 and H1 and then send back the one you don't prefer in exchange for the OC version. Just a thought.

This mirrors my experience. I loved the smoothness of the slant on my neck, but in areas that aren't flat I just couldn't get a close shave. The transition of the blade gap from one end to the next makes it very difficult on uneven surfaces.

You could also exchange for an R1 and H1 and then send back the one you don't prefer in exchange for the OC version. Just a thought.[/COLOR]

How many exchanges am I allowed. I don't want to be super annoying about this with Stan.

Have you tried the S2? If so, did that solve the problem? It seems it is a touch more aggressive.

Top Bottom