What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

New guy here. Returning to DE shaving after a 30+ year layoff. Fascinating thread, it made me go visit the ATT site. I'm seriously considering skipping the endless rounds of upgrades and acquisitions and just going straight for an R1 Colossus.

Hi BigPete! I did the same (purchased the R1 Colossus), however, I then purchased the S1 plates and I have not used my R1 Plates since! The S1 is my "perfect" razor!:thumbup1:

Hi,

All of it cuts hair more effectively than any other kind of safety razor.

This becomes important when the whiskers become thick, stiff old hairs like they are off of a scrub brush, like mine are after 40 years of shaving.

Stan

Ah, I get that logic. Makes sense, thanks!

+1...

I have been enjoying both the S1 & S2 since I started shaving with them, without giving too much thought to what is going on behind the scenes, so to speak. Your descriprion makes sense to me and provides a good mental picture of the cutting action of the slant..:thumbup1:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the point of a slant? Half of it lacerates you and the other half doesn't cut hair?

As some have already indicated but perhaps in a different way consider the blade orientation. With a standard blade the contact with the beard is straight on. The blade is either "pushing" or "pulling" against the beard depending on the grain of the beard at the time of contact. This can be a blunt cutting action. With the slant however, the cutting angle is set on a diagonal thus the cutting action is more efficient. For many this improved efficiency produces a better shave. Lastly, if you have a beard that grows in many different directions (determined by beard mapping) using a slant can be a big improvement. Hope this helps.

I am intrigued as I have a swirly beard in many directions. Do you have any plans on making a slant baseplate with a smaller blade gap than the one you have now, which seems a bit aggressive?

I am intrigued as I have a swirly beard in many directions. Do you have any plans on making a slant baseplate with a smaller blade gap than the one you have now, which seems a bit aggressive?

Hi Patrick. I just thought I would offer my own take regarding the agressiveness of the ATT slant. As one who also has swirly growth patterns and is not comfortable with the more agressive razors I have found that with a bit of practice the S1 performs well if you use slow, short to medium strokes and follow the no pressure rule..

See, that's the thing. I don't like the no pressure rule. I have an R1 and M1 and would prefer something in-between, but I seem to favor the M1 because I like to be a bit more careless and apply pressure. The R1 would lacerate me if I wasn't overly careful. Based on the blade gap measurements I would be hesitant to even try the S1.

All this being said, what is the cost to Stan to produce a prototype of an in-between baseplate for both regular and slant? Maybe we could get some folks together for a special order, or if it is reasonable I'll pay out of pocket to try it.

All this being said, what is the cost to Stan to produce a prototype of an in-between baseplate for both regular and slant? Maybe we could get some folks together for a special order, or if it is reasonable I'll pay out of pocket to try it.

The slant plates are designed to fall between the M1 plates and the R1 plates.

As some have already indicated but perhaps in a different way consider the blade orientation. With a standard blade the contact with the beard is straight on. The blade is either "pushing" or "pulling" against the beard depending on the grain of the beard at the time of contact. This can be a blunt cutting action. With the slant however, the cutting angle is set on a diagonal thus the cutting action is more efficient. For many this improved efficiency produces a better shave. Lastly, if you have a beard that grows in many different directions (determined by beard mapping) using a slant can be a big improvement. Hope this helps.

That's why I get the best shaves from a slant.

See, that's the thing. I don't like the no pressure rule. I have an R1 and M1 and would prefer something in-between, but I seem to favor the M1 because I like to be a bit more careless and apply pressure. The R1 would lacerate me if I wasn't overly careful. Based on the blade gap measurements I would be hesitant to even try the S1.

The slant plates are designed to fall between the M1 plates and the R1 plates.

Patrick, I started out with the M2 plate, then moved on to the R1 which I could not get comfortable with as I found it too agressive for me. My impression of the S1 is that it does in fact fall between the M and R plates.

I would be happy to send you my S1 head for a tryout if you wouldn't mind sending it back to me at some point. It's a small package so shipping would be cheap..

My usual daily driver is my S2 so I would not miss the S1 for a few weeks. If you're interested, PM me your shipping address.

Hi,

The action of the relationship between blade gap and exposure is different between a slant and a non slant design. It also is different between slants which use a different degree of helix (meaning I can't use those measurements between my Fasan and an ATT slant).

Stan

Top Bottom