What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

I never use my M2 anymore. Actually only used it a couple times, should probably sell it. Once you master the angle, the blade gap difference in the plates really don't make them feel more aggressive.

I agree with that; once you master the angle, the shave is wonderful.

I like the feel of the M1, but prefer the R1 for plowing through my whiskers as the M1 clogs up for me.

Would you say the M2 "feels" like it is somewhere between the M1 and R1?

I've got an Atlas R1, and I feel no need to move to the H1, or to anything else for that matter. I think I have my end game razor.

Isn't it a wonderful feeling once you've found "The One"? I've hardly touched another razor since I received my ATT in Jan 2015. All others fall to the wayside as they just don't compare. I experimented with all the standard plates basically, but once I zeroed in on the right one I've not changed anymore - perfection can't be improved upon. :lol:

Would you say the M2 "feels" like it is somewhere between the M1 and R1?

I've never used any of the SB plates. I read the results of the surveys here and I think the general consensus is they are about the same. I think the blade gap is the same so it's really if you prefer SB or OC. If you like the feel of the M plates, the OC might keep it from clogging up a little better.

Isn't it a wonderful feeling once you've found "The One"? I've hardly touched another razor since I received my ATT in Jan 2015. All others fall to the wayside as they just don't compare. I experimented with all the standard plates basically, but once I zeroed in on the right one I've not changed anymore - perfection can't be improved upon. :lol:

well said.

BUT....

RAD is a rough monkey on the back!

I'm starting to think about the S1. There's a LOT of buzz about slants, and it has me thinking.

Also, I'm waiting on delivery of a polished, short handled Blackland Blackbird.

I have no reason to believe that the R1 will ever be knocked off its throne, but I still have a collector's mindset. Woe is me! :laugh:

I never use my M2 anymore. Actually only used it a couple times, should probably sell it. I use the R2 daily, but I've been feeling the call of the H2. For me, the ATT is the most technique dependent razor I've used. Once you master the angle, the blade gap difference in the plates really don't make them feel more aggressive. Which is why I think most folks describe the H plates as very smooth.

The Atlas R1 is my routine DE razor. The H2 is used if I have skipped a couple days. Of course currently I am using our newest razor the Bamboo SE1. Started with the Kai Mild and the shaves were nice. Yesterday used a Feather Pro and the shave was more aggressive.

Hi,

Me, I am patiently waiting for the head which is S1 on one side and S2 on the other. With the S1 side preferably the more aggressive side. ;)

(a different) Stan

Hi,

Me, I am patiently waiting for the head which is S1 on one side and S2 on the other. With the S1 side preferably the more aggressive side. ;)

(a different) Stan

I have given that some thought but just not sure how popular it would be. At least one other company has made a plate with an open comb on one side and a solid bar on another. I just don't ever hear about it nor see comments about it. Because of this I am lead to believe there is little demand for it.

I have given that some thought but just not sure how popular it would be. At least one other company has made a plate with an open comb on one side and a solid bar on another. I just don't ever hear about it nor see comments about it. Because of this I am lead to believe there is little demand for it.

Personally I prefer it to be the same on both sides. I always flip the razor and use both edges throughout my shave, so to have two different combs is not something I'd like. If I want an OC then I put it on. I like both OC and solid, but would not want a combo razor.

Personally I prefer it to be the same on both sides. I always flip the razor and use both edges throughout my shave, so to have two different combs is not something I'd like. If I want an OC then I put it on. I like both OC and solid, but would not want a combo razor.

+1

Hi,

From the various reports of the S1 v the S2, this ought to be differentially aggressive. That is what I am really after. And with one side SB and the other OC, telling the sides apart would be easy.

I suppose I could grab a current unit and get to work making it differential.....but that won't help you sell more than one razor to those who like differential slants.

Stan

Wow! FL guy..What an impressive number of views in regards to the Above The Tie. I live in Tampa,Fl and you can reach me anytime.

Enjoy your weekend,

Frank M.

Hi,

From the various reports of the S1 v the S2, this ought to be differentially aggressive. That is what I am really after. And with one side SB and the other OC, telling the sides apart would be easy.

I suppose I could grab a current unit and get to work making it differential.....but that won't help you sell more than one razor to those who like differential slants.

Stan

I will not say never to a dual plate but I have a new project on the drawing board now. Also, I will likely offer an addition to the New Bamboo SE1. Gotta stay busy!

Thanks Frank, Stan is a really good guy and I am glad his products have been so well received
Wow! FL guy..What an impressive number of views in regards to the Above The Tie. I live in Tampa,Fl and you can reach me anytime.

Enjoy your weekend,

Frank M.

Gotta say I am an ATT guy for life.

Started with a Kronos S2 (I quickly sold my other 10 razors) solely used the S2 for 8 months, thought I was cured, but curiosity got the best of me reading all the forms. I eventually bought an M1, H1, R1, and cap, then an R2 and H2 and an Atlas handle.

The Atlas handle is amazing, love the Kronos too but the control of the Atlas is hard to part with. SB heads have given me really good shaves, had one of the best last night with the H1, and another great shave today with the R1. I get no nicks or razor burn the the SB heads, for some reason I do every time with the open combs, even though I still love them, especially for trimming my beard or goatee.

I am also a head shaver, and shave everyday. I bought the inkwell stand, and the leather travel case from ATT. My fiancé may soon ban me from their site lol. But we are talking heirloom quality, precision tools, shaving is more than a chore, it's a lifestyle with ATT.

I'm looking to replace my ATT Atlas handle.

Does anyone know the size of the thread on the handle please?

What sort of handle do you have in mind? I'm not sure what the exact thread size of the ATT handles is, but I like to use the stainless steel handles from Maggard's Razors on my ATT heads. Maggard's has an interesting variety of handle styles, sizes, shapes and weights. They make quality handles at an affordable price. The MR5 is one of my favorite Maggard's handles.

Last edited:
Same for me too. The M1 is great, but if I skip a day, forget about it.

I would love to see a base plate somewhere between an M1 and an R1. Or maybe a "Lowercase r1" with slightly less blade exposure.

Hello folks, new to the forum. I recently purchased a Colossus with the R1 and M1. I definitely agree with the sentiment above. I'd really like a baseplate that's smack in between the M and R. I find that the M misses spots and I have to go over my face a million times in many directions and the R I have to think about a bit too much. I am hoping that I can adjust to the R1 though. If I shave with it excruciatingly slow I can probably get a perfect shave without even using any shaving cream, or prep but it would be nice to be a bit more careless and get a quicker shave with a baseplate in between the two mentioned.

I'd really like a baseplate that's smack in between the M and R.

We should start a petition. HAHAHA

I haven't tried it yet, but I will try shimming my R1 to see if that gives me the shave I'm looking for from the ATT.

I love the quality of the ATT products, and I love the feel, but struggle with mild razor burn that I don't get with other razors.

I shaved with my new R1, vs. my M1 and found that the R1 is much more suited to my course whiskers. I got a fantastic BBS this morning. Has anyone used the ATT slant head? I'm curious, from all the reviews I read, slants are worth a try. Any input is greatly appreciated. That all being said, I love my ATT R1!

Top Bottom