What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

I'm happy to report that my second shave with the M2 was smoother than the first. I switched to a 7 O'Clock yellow and didn't notice the blade as much as I had the first shave. I paid more attention to my blade angle as well. I also skipped a day of shaving so I had a little more growth than usual. All these changes worked and I had a great shave.

I got to tell you guys about the 3 in afternoon effect I have been experiencing with the R2 You know when you happen to rub your face half way through the afternoon and say to yourself "man that was a dam fine shave this morning" I get that everyday with the R2

I got to tell you guys about the 3 in afternoon effect I have been experiencing with the R2 You know when you happen to rub your face half way through the afternoon and say to yourself "man that was a dam fine shave this morning" I get that everyday with the R2

That's how I determine how good my shave was for the day. The 2 o'clock check.

I was a little disappointed that the 5 piece set came paper wrapped in a cardboard box. It didn't quite fit in the flat rate box, so it is a bit mangled. For $300 I don't know what I was expecting, but t thought it would be packaged much more nicely. Even the $20 cadet razor I purchased came in a cheap plastic case, fitted to the razor.

However, the craftsmanship of the set is fantastic. I love the look of both handles, especially the Atlas. However, it's too short for my taste. The Kronos is better, but still a bit short. I have had just the handle for a month or so, and have become more used to it. I am finding ways to adapt my grip and make it work. Stan has said they don't have the ability to make custom length handles currently, but perhaps one day. I would love a 4" Atlas, though I would settle for a 3 1/2" Atlas. That should be much easier since he already makes a 3 1/2" handle.

I only have one shave under my belt with the H2, so I can't comment on the quality of shaves yet. I think the R2 or M2 will be more up my alley. I've had issues with the 2013 R41, and that is what I can compare the H2 with.

I have the R2 Kronos. I love the build and heft of the razor. It's smooth and shaves well on my face, but I'm having trouble with nicks and razor burn on my neck - something I don't get with my Merkur Progress. I'm only four shaves in (Astra and now Super Iridium blade), so I still have some testing to do. I'm wondering if the M2 plate would be more to my liking. I'm using MdC and DR Harris soaps.

I bought this razor with high expectations, and for the most part I'm pleased. However, it's an expensive razor, and if it doesn't shave any better than my Progress I'm returning it. I can't justify $185 for looks alone.

I have the R2 Kronos. I love the build and heft of the razor. It's smooth and shaves well on my face, but I'm having trouble with nicks and razor burn on my neck - something I don't get with my Merkur Progress. I'm only four shaves in (Astra and now Super Iridium blade), so I still have some testing to do. I'm wondering if the M2 plate would be more to my liking. I'm using MdC and DR Harris soaps.

I bought this razor with high expectations, and for the most part I'm pleased. However, it's an expensive razor, and if it doesn't shave any better than my Progress I'm returning it. I can't justify $185 for looks alone.
Your right about looks alone, I found the ATT can take some getting used to but if your getting razor burn perhaps you can exchange the R2 for the M2 plate and see how that works out. Or just buy the M2 and if your not happy return both

I don't have any of the open comb base (OC) plates (yet!) ... but based on ATT's standard bar (SB) base plates, I'd either try more mild blades with your R2 (my favorite mild blade is probably the Israeli blues) and/or a range of other different blades ... or follow fl_guy's advice above (swap base plates or buy the M1 and return one/both).

What setting do you typically use your Progress at? The ATT M1 (and probably M2) has a unique feel to it sporting a tiny blade gap that is very small relative to its blade exposure. Compared to your Merkur Progress, the M1's blade gap is about 2/3rds of the Progress at its smallest (#1) setting. Where as the R1's blade gap is a bit (0.02mm) larger than the Progress set at #2).

reference:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap
(note: I just updated this wiki page correcting the listings/rankings of the ATT razors. Previously they had the inches blade gaps in the millimeters column ... which significantly changed the "blade gap rankings" of the R1 and H2 base plates.)

Also, as the Progress has moving parts, and is (I believe) made from chrome plated pot metal ... the ATT razors should significantly outlast your Merkur Progress. A solid, un-plated stainless steel razor should in theory be able to last for centuries with only an occasional buffing with a toothbrush and water to remove slowly occurring rust (before it hastens further rust underneath).

I'm sure that one razor can't be everybody's favorite, but at least ATT has their generous return policy!

I'm absolutely wanting to keep my ATT. I love the clean looks and feel of the razor. And I get a great 2-pass shave. I haven't tried a full ATG shave yet, just spot ATG after the second pass.

I use a 3 setting on my Progress. I also have a Fatboy that use on setting 5. My dilemma is whether or not to buy the M2 plate. My first few shaves were rushed due to holiday activities. My 5th and last shave I had more time. I eased up on the pressure and had the razor glide across my face. I'm also dialing in on the proper razor angle; the Progress shaves at a much more shallow angle to my face. I'm thinking that I'll end up loving the R2. If I buy the M2, it may just be a temporary fix until I get used to the R2 - thus my dilemma for buying the M2.
I don't have any of the open comb base (OC) plates (yet!) ... but based on ATT's standard bar (SB) base plates, I'd either try more mild blades with your R2 (my favorite mild blade is probably the Israeli blues) and/or a range of other different blades ... or follow fl_guy's advice above (swap base plates or buy the M1 and return one/both).

What setting do you typically use your Progress at? The ATT M1 (and probably M2) has a unique feel to it sporting a tiny blade gap that is very small relative to its blade exposure. Compared to your Merkur Progress, the M1's blade gap is about 2/3rds of the Progress at its smallest (#1) setting. Where as the R1's blade gap is a bit (0.02mm) larger than the Progress set at #2).

reference:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap
(note: I just updated this wiki page correcting the listings/rankings of the ATT razors. Previously they had the inches blade gaps in the millimeters column ... which significantly changed the "blade gap rankings" of the R1 and H2 base plates.)

Also, as the Progress has moving parts, and is (I believe) made from chrome plated pot metal ... the ATT razors should significantly outlast your Merkur Progress. A solid, un-plated stainless steel razor should in theory be able to last for centuries with only an occasional buffing with a toothbrush and water to remove slowly occurring rust (before it hastens further rust underneath).

I'm sure that one razor can't be everybody's favorite, but at least ATT has their generous return policy!

Thank you ever so much for your very effective enabling.
I am seriously considering placing an order for the H-2, although I can't decide on which handle: the Kronos is too long and the Atlas is too light.

Anyway, the one thing that gives me pause is the ATT name and logo. I hate to wear a tie, especially since I have to do it on a regular basis. Why would I want to buy a product that reminds me every time I look at it that I will soon have to strap on a tie (aka "noose")?:001_unsur

proxy.php

Well my problem is a bit weird... I start hearing the Star Wars theme in my head when I see ATT even though it's missing a '-' and another 'A' AT-AT.... o_O

Top Bottom