What's new

New blade every 2 days? I shave twice a day? Derby -?

Hi All,

I shave twice a day.....even going ATG witha nice BBS shave since I switched to DE two weeks ago...I still shave in the evenings when I go out.. but the blades don't seem to last past 4-5 shaves thats only two days for me...is this normal? after that they seem to skip..?

Any advice or is this normal... the blades are dirt cheap at 10 cents a blade...so I don't mind but just wondering what others experience is like...

Frequency of changing blades...

Thanks!!
Yosi

Yosi,

I only get 2-3 shaves out of a feather. I usually do 3 or more passes per shave. So, your blade usage is in the neighborhood of mine. I have the sense that my beard is pretty tough and that my blade usage is on the high end of normal. FWIW.

A lot of guys only get four shaves out of a blade. I can get seven, but I think I use them longer than I really should. So yes, you are inside the normal range.

That sounds about right. At least for my limited experiences with Derby's. I'm still trying blades from my sampler pack though. However, I've always seen great deals on Derby blades online, so I wouldn't feel too bad about purchasing in bulk if I had to.

thanks for the feedback... I feel that I'm withing the normal range... I ordered a pack of Feathers to try them out... I have course hair...so maybe I can get the same BBS shave without 3 passes (one ATG)...

But the blades seem to be 3 times the price... oh well...

:)

Yosi

is this normal?
YMMV.

I get a week with my Feathers. Some get 1-2 shaves. Some get more than I do. What's normal for one isn't necessarily normal for the next.

Have you tried any other blades to compare? This is why samplers are always recommended. How's your prep?

That sounds about right. I usually get 5-7 shaves, but have no hesitation to change blades the moment something appears to be problematic.

Some of it depends on the blade. Some of the sharper ones tend to dull faster. Some of the cheaper ones tend to dull faster.

I have tough coarse hair. I get 2 2pass shaves from a feather. I seem to be geting zero good shaves from my first try with a personna med prep. I'll try again tomorrow with a new blade. I can't wait for my Super Iridiums to come in. I really want to try them out.

3 and out for me. I figure that blade cost so small that I don't need to stretch them any further and take a chance at irritating my face.

I find that the Wilkinson Sword blades last the longest. I can get 3 maybe 4 shaves from them. I tried Derby's. I felt like I was shaving with a bottle cap or an old hacksaw blade- awful! Personna Blue was second best but on the second day the blade felt like it too was hacksaw like. I will try the Feather blades that came with my Feather Popular and see how they work out. I am no big fan of supporting the Russians so I will buy Japanese blades before I go Russian. Maybe one day (I doubt it) the Gillette folks will make USA mfg DE blades for us to use however, that is a subject for Advertising and Marketing 301.

4-6 is the number one often sees cited. I don't go past 3 because I don't want to get to edge of the bubble.

Part of what moved me to DE was being tired of using dull carts between expensive and troublesome trips to the store. Since the beginning of this obsession I have rotated blades every 4 to 7 shaves whether they need it or not. The collection is sufficient that I can do so for well more than 10 years. I am yet to have an experience with a dull DE blade. So, I can attest that 4 to 5 shaves is suitable but I do not know firsthand the limit of longevity.

Top Bottom