What's new

Suit advise?

So as I have entered into the world of DE shaving, I am learning more about style, and especially my lack thereof. I got to thinking that I do not own a suit, dress shirt, tie, or anything of the sorts. I have no real need for a suit, but will be attending at least one wedding this year, and may like to begin down a new career path. I am looking to buy a suit with a portion of my tax return and have a couple of questions.

1. Is a suit from Jos. A. Bank(which is really like buy 1, get 2 free right now) really that bad for a first suit? I would spend a little extra at a tailor to have it fitted.
2. If I could only purchase one suit, what color?
3. Instead of a suit, should I consider a quality(best I could afford) Navy blazer? or a blazer of a different color?

I'm not sure of a budget, as I've never shopped for a suit before. I would say the most SWMBO would let me spend is about $500.

I can't personally answer your first question but the second two are easy. For colour go for a black or navy suit. These colours are good for almost any event you will wear them to any time of the day.

As as for whether you should buy a suit or blazer, it really depends on what you plan to wear it for, I would suggest owning at least one suit and one blazer or sport coat. I don't personally like blazers but most people wear them like a sport coat anyway, which is considered and usually worn more casual than wearing a suit considering you can wear it with khakis or even jeans in the right setting. When I say jeans I don't mean the ones you work in I mean a good quality pair of dark jeans.

If you go with a suit have some class and spend the extra $50 on a pocket square, most men don't wear them anymore and even more think it's just a handkerchief. Buy a white one and make sure it's silk, you can wear a white pocket square with any colour shirt and tie. And don't use it as a handkerchief, ever.

Finding a suit for $500 can be easy if you give up a little quality or you find an amazing sale. But I could go on forever about the different level of quality of suits. I will say though that high price or designer suits don't always mean quality. And any suit you buy take it to a qualified tailor to get everything fitted properly, very rarely will an in-store tailor be able to get the suit fitted perfectly for you.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Last edited:
1. Bought my last two suits from Jos. A. Bank, and have been satisfied. I, too, only use a suit occasionally. My Jos. A. Bank has a tailor at their disposal, but it still will cost.
2. I would suggest dark blue for versatility. Next best suggestion would be a dark gray.
3. I honestly would suggest a blazer in Navy, as well. It is a bit more casual and will not substitute for occasions requiring a suit.

I would caveat this by saying that I am in my 70s, and most definitely old-school in wardrobe opinions. Plus I reside in a small community. I wear my suit to the symphony in Omaha, church occasions including funerals, and would to a wedding if one were to occur.

I feel a man should have at least 1 suit or preferable a 3 piece. I would think if you are only buying 1 suit it should be blackish or grey, because itll go with any color. If you are going with the JAB suit I would go with colors that work well together. That way you will have a nice sport coat & nice pair of pants.

I got some of my first suits at jos banks when I started my former job. I needed several suits right away since I was in court every day. Their suits are above average.

If buying one suit look at department stores.

I would stick with the classic plain look. Solid dark or charcoal grey or solid blue suits. Perhaps light grey.

For a shirt I would go with a traditional blue and white hounds tooth pattern. You can buy them at many stores, but I like brooks brothers. If you buy retail price, you are wasting money. $35-$40 at an outlet store. This shirt also looks good with jeans or khakis. Look at this shirt in Light Blue.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Supim...dwvar_627E_Color=LTBL&contentpos=30&cgid=0203

I hate the fit of brooks brother ties.

If you are able to do so, go to Nordstroms and treat yourself to good looking tie ($75-$100). Burgundy really compliments a classic suit.

A good neck tie will last you years and still look good. I bought a quality tie in college for job interviews. It was a stretch financially, but I still wear it and still hear compliments.

Keep your shoes shined, your top button on the jacket buttoned and wear a watch.

If you go classic, choose a proper tie and pay attention to small details, people will notice.

If you shop smart, all the above can be had for $500.

Last edited:
Try and get a suit that is 100% wool - it will hold its shape and age better than a wool/polyester blend (and won't look 'shiny').

Get something plain (not pinstriped) if you are only getting one. Charcoal or black are easy to wear with anything. Wear black shoes, black socks and a black belt.

Good luck!

I'm a young kid here 19 and gonna give my young opinion.

Suit brand- try stuff at macys. They have a 50% suits sale once or twice a year and have great deals. Brand - try Ralph Lauren. If you go at the 50% sale you can get a nice suit for 300-400$ normally 700+. Also stuff like Michael kors etc. stuff at macys is usually pretty good.

One thing I must say is it should be a slim fitting suit or (fit to you) the style now is slim fit for all shapes and sizes. One mistake I think a lot of people make is getting suits to big for them.

Color: navy blue or grey.
If you get 2 then get one black as well.

Hope this helps. Like I said, I'm a youngster and my opinion may not apply!

I'm going to go completely against the recommendation to automatically get a slim fit suit. It doesn't work for everyone. You need to try it on and see how it fits. I'm a runner and slim for won't work because my leg muscles are a little too big. It looks silly. YMMV...try it on and look in the mirror. Don't just take the sales persons advice.

I think it's pretty standard advice that the first three colors you should acquire are black, navy, and charcoal. I would suggest black if you're only going to buy one suit.

You can wet brown shoes and a brown belt with navy and charcoal, but always wear black with a black suit.

If you buy a suit off of the rack and don't take it to a tailor, people will notice. If you get a Jos A Bank suit tailored correctly, no one will be able to tell that it was affordable and not super expensive.

After you get your first three solid color suits, then you should branch out to different colors or stripped suits.

Also, one black suit with four dress shirts and four ties equals a massive amount of color combinations.

About the pocket square...YMMV. I agree that they look nice, but is depends on where you're wearing your suit too. I wear a suit almost everyday for work (sometimes I wear a uniform) and in my line a work a pocket square just isn't something that we wear in the office.

Take everything I said with a grain of salt though because there are other opinions. I personally HATE pleated pants and I'll never ever buy them. Some people need to wear those it just like them. It really comes down to personal preference at the end if the day.

1. nothing is wrong with jos a bank. if the suit fits, wear it.
2. dark blue with minimal pattern. you will get the most mileage out of it.
3. consider a navy blue blazer in addition to the suit. that will cover quite a few bases.

A word from someone who doesn't have much need to wear a suit or even a blazer very often but I still have 4 coats and 3 suits.
I live in a town where there is a very affluent section. And right in the middle of town we have a large Salvation Army store and a brand new (store of the future) Goodwill store. Both of them have a large section of upper name brand stuff. I have been very lucky to find a lot of stuff that has never been worn. Or if worn it must have been very lightly. 2 of them have had the pockets still sewed shut.
There must be a guy in town that has my build who donates a lot of clothes as I have been lucky to find some great fitting stuff.
I am 5'7'' with big chest and thick arms and there is no such thing as an off the rack suit that fits me. My last trip netted a JAB blue blazer that may be the best fitting jacket I have ever tried. I looked it over with a fine tooth comb trying to find any evidence of wear or a fault but could find none. I parted with the $1.85 they were asking and dropped it off for a cleaning and pressing and wore it last weekend to compliments from 2 different people.
It fits me better than a suit I paid $500 for and had tailored.

1. Is a suit from Jos. A. Bank(which is really like buy 1, get 2 free right now) really that bad for a first suit? I would spend a little extra at a tailor to have it fitted.2. If I could only purchase one suit, what color? 3. Instead of a suit, should I consider a quality(best I could afford) Navy blazer? or a blazer of a different color?
  • 1.) Jos A. Bank suits are generally cheaply built and WAY overpriced. They'll sell you a $200 suit for $300 and tell you it's 50% off because they have some absurdly marked up $600 "full retail" price on the tag. This doesn't mean you shouldn't buy the suits if they're the only thing in the price range, but you can do a lot better for your money if you spend just a tad more. I recommend Suit Supply. They have suits in the $400-800 range that are half-canvased (superior construction) and good styles. or looking for certain brands on sale in department stores.
  • 2.) Charcoal or medium gray. Do not buy a black suit as your first suit. It's way too specific. They're good for funerals and that's about it. Get a charcoal suit and black shoes. Your second suit should probably be a navy, then a medium grey, and maybe a brown. Wear all these with brown or light-brown shoes. Don't buy a black suit unless it's a tuxedo or you already have the more versatile colors. Also, do not buy a pinstripe as your first suit, maybe as your third. It makes it too noticeable and becomes "that suit" if it's the only one you have.
  • 3.) I would say get a suit in place of a blazer. If you don't have enough money to get a second suit, then go for a navy blazer. Either way the first one should be navy. Do not try to wear it with navy or black pants though to make a "fake suit". It just looks mismatched and bad.

Last edited:
There's only two thrift stores around me and they're both picked clean. There's a JAB and a Mens wearhouse near me, as well as a Burlington coat factory that I will have to check out.

Try and get a suit that is 100% wool - it will hold its shape and age better than a wool/polyester blend (and won't look 'shiny').

Get something plain (not pinstriped) if you are only getting one. Charcoal or black are easy to wear with anything. Wear black shoes, black socks and a black belt.

Good luck!
+1

The Goodwill and Salvation Army may sound like strange places to look but you can find some real good items there. My father bought a full length Burberry overcoat at one of these stores for a fraction of the price. You just have to be vigilant in your search.

I recently donated a solid blue Neiman Marcus suit to Goodwill. It was not a major loss because it was given to me.

Many people who wear nice suits sit behind desks. Working behind a desk all day and working long hours combined with getting a little older lends itself to a larger waist size. The suit I gave away was a 32. I just hit a 36 waist size. I plan on hitting the gym and improving my diet but I think my 32" waist is sadly gone forever.

PS - Great OP. I think this thread will benefit many in the future if they are willing to look for it. I am also surprised that although people have expressed personal preferences, there is a great deal of consensus on what to purchase and how to look sharp and professional.

Last edited:
I +1 the 100% wool too. If you do go with a blend for a better price or whatever you reasons, never go lower than 60% wool and never more than two types of fabric blended.

I can't comment on Jos. A. Banks suits, but if you aren't going to be wearing it a lot I can't imagine it not serving you well for the time being at least.
I only have to suit up roughly 10 times a month and I can say without any hesitation a med gray suit should be your first purchase. I can't think of a color that it doesn't really go with - looks great with blues, greens, yellows, pinks, red ... so on and so forth - most versitale color in my closet.
Where ever you decide to get your suit - spend the extra and have it tailored - a $1500 suit looks bad if it doesn't fit well and a $200 suit can look awesome if it fits well.

Joseph Bank suits are OK for a first suit, I would skip their lowest "executive" line though and get something in their "signature" line. As stated, they are overpriced at the regular pricing. Wait for a sale where you can get it for less than $250.

I would get the suit in navy, very versatile.

Regarding the blazer, maybe get one down the road. Again, a navy one.

Sales after Xmas are normally good.

The thing about Jos A. Bank and Men's Warehouse is that for a bit more you can get a huge jump in quality from a place like Suit Supply. The difference is that the mall-retailers are selling fused suits, and Suit Supply and other "quality" suits are selling half-canvased suits, which are more durable and look more "natural". Fused suits have structure to them, but the fabric looks stiffer because of the glue. The glue will also tend to break down after enough washes and the suit will lose it's form and go lumpy.Seriously, spend $250 at Jos A. Bank, or $470 at Suit Supply:http://us.suitsupply.com/en_CA/suits/napoli-grey-plain/P3457I.html?start=17&cgid=Suits It's like the difference between a pair of Allen Edmonds/Alden vs. whatever Chinese manufactured junk at DSW or something. EDIT: And my line spaces still aren't showing up? What the heck? I like to type in paragraphs but the forum isn't letting me lol.

The thing about Jos A. Bank and Men's Warehouse is that for a bit more you can get a huge jump in quality from a place like Suit Supply. The difference is that the mall-retailers are selling fused suits, and Suit Supply and other "quality" suits are selling half-canvased suits, which are more durable and look more "natural". Fused suits have structure to them, but the fabric looks stiffer because of the glue. The glue will also tend to break down after enough washes and the suit will lose it's form and go lumpy.Seriously, spend $250 at Jos A. Bank, or $470 at Suit Supply:http://us.suitsupply.com/en_CA/suits/napoli-grey-plain/P3457I.html?start=17&cgid=Suits It's like the difference between a pair of Allen Edmonds/Alden vs. whatever Chinese manufactured junk at DSW or something. EDIT: And my line spaces still aren't showing up? What the heck? I like to type in paragraphs but the forum isn't letting me lol.

Nice link. I may buy myself a suit now. Sadly, it will have to a 36".

With all this expertise ChrisinAZ, get your self measured, find a style and post a WTB in the b/s/t.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have no real need for a suit, but will be attending at least one wedding this year, and may like to begin down a new career path. I am looking to buy a suit with a portion of my tax return and have a couple of questions.

1. Is a suit from Jos. A. Bank(which is really like buy 1, get 2 free right now) really that bad for a first suit? I would spend a little extra at a tailor to have it fitted.
2. If I could only purchase one suit, what color?
3. Instead of a suit, should I consider a quality(best I could afford) Navy blazer? or a blazer of a different color?

I'm not sure of a budget, as I've never shopped for a suit before. I would say the most SWMBO would let me spend is about $500.

Read this:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/105206-The-quot-only-one-suit-quot-thread?highlight=suit

I've never seen a Jos.A Banks suit, but from what I hear it should be "okay". Just okay. The sense I get is that they favour a "traditional American" style of suit ... boxy cut and not flattering to a fit physique, but good at covering up lumpy middles.

I'd say spend as much as you can reasonably justify, up to about $1000 ... above that it's diminishing returns. Not that you have to go that high, but "bang for your buck" is there.

Top Bottom