What's new

Suit advise?

I'll offer a few different suggestions. If you're "average" sized, you can probably get something off the rack that's close to what you need. However, I am not (6'5", athletic build), and have found custom clothing to be amazing and not that outrageously expensive. If you're looking at just 1 suit, I would get either gray or navy blue from a place like indochino.com. As far as colors and accessories, find pictures of someone who knows how to wear a suit (Cary Grant, Clark Gable, John Kennedy, etc) with your coloring as far as skin color, eye color, and hair color, and try things on that are similar until you find what looks great on you. A well-made, good looking suit is a worthwhile investment, IMHO.

Great info being posted and very helpful to someone like me who has spent 90% of their time in a field uniform and the other 10% in T-shirt and jeans. To keep suits looking clean and well-shaped do any of you have a particular hanger you like to use? I have several new suits and dress shirts I don't want to stretch or stain with a traditional Target hanger.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You get a hanger with big, fat "shoulder" bits ....

proxy.php

You can get them expensively at certain spots on the internet, but ... a trip to Target, Walmart or the like will save you 90%.

You get a hanger with big, fat "shoulder" bits ....

proxy.php

You can get them expensively at certain spots on the internet, but ... a trip to Target, Walmart or the like will save you 90%.

+1

The best hanger I ever had was one that had the fat shoulders and rubber grip/"rubber bands" along the center piece to hang the pants on. Sadly, I left it backstage after my commissioning ceremony :( I will keep hunting for another and suggest them to anyone.

Ok I got an update about the wedding, and these are her words: "The wedding is formal, but casual too. Anything will be fine, it's a Notebook(the movie) themed wedding so I think whatever would work."

With that being said, I am thinking charcoal suit, white shirt, baby blue tie, and black cap toes.

Thanks so much for all your help everyone. There's a Brooks Brothers outlet as well as a Jos. A. Bank near my house. Because of the very little use this suit will get, I am going to go with one of these brands.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ok I got an update about the wedding, and these are her words: "The wedding is formal, but casual too. Anything will be fine, it's a Notebook(the movie) themed wedding so I think whatever would work."

Well, that really narrows it down for you.

:a20:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But it also helped me to realize I was over-thinking this a bit, and helped me to choose based on what I wanted to wear, rather than what I was thinking was expected of me.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. But it also helped me to realize I was over-thinking this a bit, and helped me to choose based on what I wanted to wear, rather than what I was thinking was expected of me.

Some weddings (ie brides) get pretty specific about what they expect people to wear, and sometimes not just the "wedding party". That's not bad if they opt for a "standard" form of dress that everyone already owns or should own, but still ...

Anyhow, then go ahead and get what you want ... what you, after reading and considering all the advice and suggestions you got here, feel you should get: what you see yourself using from time to time in the future, whenever it's 'suit-wearing time' for you.

I ended up with a charcoal suit that is going to the tailor today, a plain white dress shirt, navy pindot tie from the tie bar, white pocket square, and for the wedding I'm wearing my dark brown medallion toe Aldens with a brown belt and watch. I will add dress shirts, ties, and black shoes for other occasions over time. Thanks for your help everyone!

1) Banks is ok for a first suit but do not pay full price. Brooks Brothers has a corporate sale coming up on the 20th were the 2 for $$$ suits will be an additional 30% off.

2) Charcoal Grey or Navy, save the black for a funeral.

3) 1 suit and navy blazer.

Sounds like everyone gave you solid advice.

On 1. they're fine for occasional wear. If you wear a suit often, buy quality, and buy once. At my academy graduation ceremony, one of our younger guys (23) and I were walking up to the State Capitol where it was being held, and he and I checked each other out. I asked him where his suit came from as it looked decent/fine on him. He said Men's Wearhouse. For a young fit guy on a budget he did just fine. He looks at me, I said "Pal Zileri, Venice". Much swearing and cussing on his part, as my suit very obviously was cut and fit better and much better fabric. Not tailored but the cut is good enough it didn't need it really.

He also knew I've traveled far more and had more years on the planet/budget to get a very nice suit..but it opened his eyes as to what his future court wear should look like if he ever switches over to being a detective. :)

2. I prefer charcoal over navy as a 1-suit-for-everything color.

Top Bottom