What's new

Suit advise?

Never bought from men's warehouse. Looked at stuff from jab and purchased from several department stores. The best I found is the hart schaftner & Marx goldem trumpeter on sale at nordstroms for about $1000. Made in USA. Excellent quality and always gets compliments. Kills anything from brooks bros off the rack. I was happy with my various designer dept store suits until I got my first hsm.

Knotty - I am assuming when you say 3 piece you are meaning a vest as well? Please forgive my ignorance, I'm just new to classier dressing.

Doc4 - I read the link you provided and after reading the rest of this thread, that is actually the direction I was leaning - Thank you!

LogisticEarth - Thanks for mentioning Suit Supply. I remember hearing in a podcast about the difference between fused and canvassed suits but had forgotten about that detail.

I know for sure I will stay away from black. The one function I know for sure that I will be attending in a suit is a summer wedding in Arizona...110F+ in a black suit would be torturous. I am torn between Navy and a medium grey. I would like to incorporate a light blue somehow, because my wife likes the way that color looks on me, so I still have some research to do. Thank you everyone for your help so far. I also forgot about needing shoes, tie, belt, cuff links(maybe?), and a pocket square. And I also did a search and found out there is a Brooks Brothers outlet 15 minutes from me, I may look there as well.

Knotty - I am assuming when you say 3 piece you are meaning a vest as well? Please forgive my ignorance, I'm just new to classier dressing.

Doc4 - I read the link you provided and after reading the rest of this thread, that is actually the direction I was leaning - Thank you!

LogisticEarth - Thanks for mentioning Suit Supply. I remember hearing in a podcast about the difference between fused and canvassed suits but had forgotten about that detail.

I know for sure I will stay away from black. The one function I know for sure that I will be attending in a suit is a summer wedding in Arizona...110F+ in a black suit would be torturous. I am torn between Navy and a medium grey. I would like to incorporate a light blue somehow, because my wife likes the way that color looks on me, so I still have some research to do. Thank you everyone for your help so far. I also forgot about needing shoes, tie, belt, cuff links(maybe?), and a pocket square. And I also did a search and found out there is a Brooks Brothers outlet 15 minutes from me, I may look there as well.

You can try a double breasted or 3 piece suit and see if you like it, but that look is not for me.

You find all kinds of suits for 1K and most will be very nice. You can also find a good suit for half that price. I think the colors you mentioned are fine but don't stray too far from your original budget. Remember, you will have to buy at least one dress shirt, a tie, a belt and possibly shoes. This is all going to add up in terms of cost.

I know this is a matter of opinion and I don't mean any ill will towards anyone's sensibilities, but I would never wear brown shoes with any suit.

Also - you might want to consider a summer weight suit since you live in a warmer climate.

Chris, if you are in the valley go see Minas at Brothers Taylor off central. That's where I buy all my semi custom suits and tailored shirts. He knows what works in our environment very well.

Last edited:
I find myself second guessing the choice to buy a suit. As much as I want one, I just realized that this will be a summer wedding(which in AZ means 100+ temps, easily) and will be a casual affair. I'm worried that I will drop what, to me, would be a lot of money on something that I wouldn't end up using.

I'd like to hope that I could get my work life in order, but feel I may be stuck for at least two more years. This means that the only functions left are social gatherings, and a suit would have me terribly overdressed in my circle of peers.

Any thoughts fellas? As always, I am appreciative of any and all comments and suggestions!

1. JAB isn't particularly terrible, it's just that there are better options for the money. Yes, even at buy 1 get 2 free. There's a reason they run that sale.
2. Charcoal or navy. Charcoal is generally more versatile. I wouldn't wear a navy suit to an interview, for example. Navy is a little more casual and showy.
3. No.

You can get a perfectly capable suit around $200 if you wait for sales. Spend another $100 on a few ties, a pocket square, and a tie bar. Another $100 on a couple of shirts. Another $100 on a competent pair of shoes, like Cole Haans. There's your $500 and you got several outfits out of it. To make this possible, I suggest JCrew's Factory Thompson suiting. They're nice suits for what you pay and they're frequently on sale for ~$200 for the jacket and pants. You can even add the vest later on if you decide you want 3-piece. The Thompson shirts are also very capable and you can catch them on sale for ~$30.

Maybe I missed it, but what is your size? If you have an "average" size, you have a world of options.

If you are like me and wear a 36S and need something slim, then your options are limited. Finding something at a second hand shop for me would be like finding a needle in a haystack. Someone mentioned HSM from Nordstrom...too wide a fit for me. One post linked to a nice looking suit from SuitSupply...not offered in a 36S.

After Thanksgiving I bought a JAB suit for $120 to see if their new slim cut fit me, since their old slim cut didn't. It isn't bad, especially for the money. It does feel cheap compared to my Brooks Brothers suits, but those are $550 on a good day. I'd say it might be nicer than what you'd find at Macy's for $200.

As others have said, ultimately it is about the suit being properly tailored and how you wear it. Store it correctly so it isn't wrinkled. Take off your jacket when you get in the car so it isn't a mess of wrinkles when you arrive where you are going. Wear some decent, shine shoes and a properly tied tie. A shirt with a nice crisp collar instead of some flaccid mess up top because you couldn't throw some collar stays in.

I don't know my actual measurements, but I am 5'6, 165 lbs. with a 29 inch inseam. I tried a jacket on at Macy's that was 42s which buttoned well, but any time I moved my arms, the whole jacket kind of scrunched up, so I don't know. The sales guy was too busy(holiday rush), so I will have to go back another time

100% Wool, plain (no pattern), Navy Blue, Charcoal Grey, fitted for Braces (suspenders), plain (no pattern) shirts, have pattern in your ties, too many patterns and you appear disorganized. Shoes, Bal (closed at bottom of vamp) Oxfords, no Wingtips (too casual) or Slippers aka Loafers, Black, Oxblood, Wine, Burgundy. Buy the best you can afford which can be made for you by a tailor since most of them will not have advertising factored into overhead.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Also budget he cost of alterations. Different stores have different policies on this. At Nordstrom, it's all included. At men's wear house and Nordstrom rack, it's a la carte--you pay for what you need, and you can drop $50 or more depending on what you need. I go to a local haberdasher, and alterations there are usually $25 and if you need more tailoring they just pay for it. With suits, service and good tailoring matter.

Am I correct in assuming that when you wear the suit, you wear the pants and jacket, but change the shirt and accessories to alter the look?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Am I correct in assuming that when you wear the suit, you wear the pants and jacket, but change the shirt and accessories to alter the look?

Correct.

The suit is the pants and jacket ... and vest, if it's a 3-piece. The choice of shirt and tie is where most of the "change-up" takes place ... shoes, pocket square, cuff links, tie bar/pin ... stuff like that can help the change-up too ...

look on television or a movies they have most time perfect out balance suit.
for the Taylor and fit if you are slim i will go for a slim fit suit if you are big normal fit.
you can also buy a 100% Wool regular suit and go to a Taylor and let him a just the suit to your body.
ask also before you whant to buy a suit ask the tailor the price for the adjusment.
collor navy blue or black no patern one collor not two.
shoes handmade banker broque balmoral or just with no patern low shoes
whe have handmade shoes here in Holland from €140 its a bargain if see the quility afther xmas there is discount in most stores.
with good and proper threathment they last a decade.
collor shoes horse zadel Brown black or ox blood
braces black
tie black or black with rectangle gold patern
white blouse or blue with white boards
mocassin if you like them black under the grey suit
Black is a collor with many options
a 100% Wool suit is a good investment and suits are timeles.

always do what is best.

Last edited:
I don't watch much television anymore, unfortunately. Just no time.
I did have something else just come to mind though. What about shoulder pads? I was at 3 different Goodwills this weekend and EVERY jacket had shoulder pads. I thought I read somewhere that those are not favorable anymore? Any thoughts?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't watch much television anymore, unfortunately. Just no time.
I did have something else just come to mind though. What about shoulder pads? I was at 3 different Goodwills this weekend and EVERY jacket had shoulder pads. I thought I read somewhere that those are not favorable anymore? Any thoughts?

Every suit will have padded shoulders. Some of them are far more padded than others, though.

I remember back in the 80's, even women's sweaters had shoulder pads. Seriously. Those days are gone.

Suits will always* have shoulder pads ... but if you are looking in thrift shops, look out for suits from the 70's with linebacker pads.

*Never say "never" ... or "always".

There's a lot of good advice here but my two cents to add to the conversation is that just like the suit should be cut right for your body (whether you find a good off the rack fit or have it tailored) the style and way you wear it should also be right for you. You need to buy a suit (or suits) that are good for your body, good for your overall look, good for what you need and within your budget.

If you don't wear suits very often you will be fine buying a JAB suit, especially if you can get them on a really good sale. One decent suit paired with a nice pair of shoes and a decent tie will get you a long way. Don't buy a suit that is overly trendy (e.g. lapel size, number of buttons, slimness of fit) unless you plan on buying a new suit every 2-3 years. You can make a basic suit look modern and trendy with your shoes, tie and shirt (and watch). It will also give you flexibility to wear the suit to any occasion.

If you are buying one suit I recommend charcoal grey over any other color. Black suits are for formal events. Funerals. Evening events. Court. Black is not a business color. Black is a good purchase if you are a preacher or a lawyer. Nobody else needs to own a black suit. Navy blue is a good business color but too business-y for formal events and shouldn't be worn in the evening as a full suit. Other colors can be too informal or un-business-like. Charcoal grey can transition across almost any event or time of day, especially based on what you wear with it.

Reverseapachemaster - I pretty much have come to the same conclusions as what you posted. I know of only one occasion that I for sure will need a suit, and it is not formal enough for black. I have decided on a charcoal suit with black cap toe shoes, and want to incorporate light blue somehow. It may be the blue collar in me, but I can't justify paying an arm and a leg for a suit that will rarely be worn.

I'm not too much of a suit man myself, but since needing to buy one earlier this year, I've actually have found several occasions where I wore it to engagements and it felt great to fit in being properly dressed.

Believe it or not, I bought a perfect $800 Italian made Gianni Manzoni suit 2 piece suit off the rack for $85!

Now get this... the rack was on a sidewalk in Conakry Guinea.

The suit is dark charcoal, slim fit, double stitched, narrow lapels, and center vented. The fit couldn't be better, sleeves didn't need narrowing, the fit was smooth with no puckering between the shoulders. The pants are top shelf, well made and all the seams are taped. They only needed to be hemmed, and I choose to have them cuffed with a slight break. I was lucky to have a retired tailor/seamstress that is working in our ships crew bank (I normally live/work on a hospital ship in West Africa year round) take care of the tailoring for me. She thinks that I was lucky that, it was most likely an overstock dump, as she couldn't find any flaws in it.

With the dark charcoal, I have both black and brown euro style shoes, a reversible black/brown belt. I ordered several shirts and ties from Kohl's at a great price... they always have them on sale. The trick is finding something that is simple, but yet sleek and trim. Buy the best that you can afford, because for the most part, suits are timeless.

Good luck in your shopping.

Here's a guide that I googled for you...
http://www.gq.com/style/style-manual/201204/suits-guide-tailoring-fit#slide=1

More about my ship...
https://www.mercyships.org/ships/africa-mercy/

Top Bottom