What's new

Kevlar Canoe with Ash Trim

As if I didn't have enough paddles...but I guess it's no different then owning a dozen high end brushes. :blushing:

This is what I have my eye on now: Sunburst ST Premium Canoe Paddle

The Sunburst canoe paddle combines years of craftsmanship, with state of the art composite technology. The all-new Sunburst is a dream to paddle. From tip to grip this paddle is designed with the canoe elitist in mind. Also offered in XL, for those who want more power. Both the Sunburst and Sunburst XL will provide years of comfortable, worry-free paddling and propel you to places you've only dreamt of.

$Sunburst-Blade.jpg $Sunburst-Grip-Profile.jpg

In paddles I like the less is more concept- a single board carved into the willow leaf shape. All that lamination takes glue and all that glue adds weight to the paddle. Sure you could argue that its stronger stiffer ect but there is also an underlying aesthetic that I value.
Here are some examples.
http://amtraders.com/c-paddles.asp?Group=1

Making paddles does not require a lot of equipment and can be a very rewarding exercise. I think it was woodboat magazine had a tutorial on it 15 years ago or so that a bunch of us took on.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim.

It caught my eye with the carbon shaft and wood handle...not to mention the actual blade.

The few paddles I have now are all very nice, just wood, so it was something that I saw in CanoeRoots (family camping magazine) and looked up.

That link has some very nice looking paddles and I had never thought of the laminate, glue weight and durability etc. I can definietely see where you are coming from in the appreciation for a one-piece, solid wood paddle. This was our first real canoe and I am just now exploring the accessories and getting in to paddles, so still have lots to learn.

Thanks again! BBQ and Canoes, you are my go-to for a bunch of stuff. :thumbup1:

I just found this with a quck search. http://www.leevalley.com/us/shopping/TechInfo.aspx?type=a&p=43995

I don't have the resources (room) to make a canoe right now, but a paddle is something that looks like a fun and rewarding project.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim.

It caught my eye with the carbon shaft and wood handle...not to mention the actual blade.

The few paddles I have now are all very nice, just wood, so it was something that I saw in CanoeRoots (family camping magazine) and looked up.

That link has some very nice looking paddles and I had never thought of the laminate, glue weight and durability etc. I can definietely see where you are coming from in the appreciation for a one-piece, solid wood paddle. This was our first real canoe and I am just now exploring the accessories and getting in to paddles, so still have lots to learn.

Thanks again! BBQ and Canoes, you are my go-to for a bunch of stuff. :thumbup1:

I just found this with a quck search. http://www.leevalley.com/us/shopping/TechInfo.aspx?type=a&p=43995

I don't have the resources (room) to make a canoe right now, but a paddle is something that looks like a fun and rewarding project.

That hits all the important spots on paddle making.. when you use a really good paddle for the first time you will "get it" and know what its all about. One thing that is hard to describe is how whippy it can be and how light. It really does make a difference on long trips and portages.

That hits all the important spots on paddle making.. when you use a really good paddle for the first time you will "get it" and know what its all about. One thing that is hard to describe is how whippy it can be and how light. It really does make a difference on long trips and portages.

I never took you for a paddler, but looking back I do recall you selling a nice Paddling PFD but it was too big for me.

Last year I switch from a traditional vest to a paddling vest and really enjoy the mobility it offers. I can still use it for jumping off cliffs and when we go on boat rides. We always wear them on any type of watercraft, regardless of it being a boat, kayak, canoe etc. I consider it my seat belt and it does no good if I flip and hit my head and it's in the boat, floating away.

I have a lot to learn about paddling and am enjoying the new canoe. It has opened up a whole new level of enjoyment and was almost like making the switch to wet shaving coming from our aluminum square stern. The ease at which this one handles makes it much more fun and easy to get out on the water. I also never understood why people would take out more then one paddle, but then clued in...if one breaks or you somehow loose it in the water (I know they float), then you have another to use. It's also fun to mix it up depending on which way you are paddling (up or down stream) and what type of water you are in (current, flat, deep etc).

Last edited:
Paddled out to a little island yesterday and let the dog go for a swim. The water on this "lake" is wonderdul for paddling as it's a channel and no-wake zone for a long way.

Dog lovers don't worry, her roap is NOT attached to anything and she is not fastened to the boat in any way...but she does wear a PFD in case we are out deep and she gets injured in a tip (which has never happened and hopefully never does).
$uploadfromtaptalk1408368719496.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know how I missed your post when you started it :sad:

Glad you got a Kevlar model. We've had a Mad River Kevlar Explorer for about 30 years now and it has really taken a pounding over that time with no long term effects to it what so ever.

proxy.php

Also have a Mad River Outrage model which is also in Kevlar. It is a keel-less double bend full rocker white water toy boat with flotation.

The difference between paddling the BIG explorer and the little outrage is like the difference between flying a cargo plane and flying a fighter plane.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Nice pics Mick and some nice looking canoes. We have a store in town that sells Mad River canoes and they seem to have a good reputation. If my wife would let me, I'd own 3-4 canoes too.

We hit the water again today, this time with dog and child to explore some side streams off the lake.

$uploadfromtaptalk1408499099204.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking foward to getting back to the cabin in the great white north and using our canoes.

All 3 are up there as the cabin is on a lake.

proxy.php

Top Bottom