What's new

Straight razor too much work?

Hello, I'm new to this forum, but I've been reading it for quite a while.
I've been shaving with a safety razor since I started shaving, only shifting to mach 3 and canned goo it comes with a few months ago because I thought newer technology would be better, but I'm back to pavilion now.
I was planning to get a straight razor, but I'm holding myself back as I've read, its too much work - stropping it everyday for 50 laps, honing it every 5-6 shaves, oiling it everyday to prevent it from rusting etc!
Is it really so much work, or do I read too much? Can anyone convince me to get a straight razor and all those sharpening equipments? All of it costs too much, around $200 shipped to my country!
I have shaved with a one of those local made hair shapers/shavettes before, but found safety razors more comfortable and easy on my face. I know I would be wrong to compare that to a straight razor.
Mods: I wasn't sure which subforum to post this in but this seemed more appropriate. Move it as you may see fit.

I guess it's whatever you consider 'too much work'. Yes, it does take more time (just as building a lather from a puck/cream takes more time than a squirt from a can), so it depends what the extra maybe 10-15 minutes (on top of what you're probably doing now) is worth to you. I really enjoy the routine. I often shave at night so I'm not time-constrained, but when I shave in the morning, I get up 15 minutes earlier so I can enjoy the shave and not feel rushed-shaving with a straight requires more concentration as well.

I'm still new at this game (less than a year), but I find the time required for a great shave to be well worth it, and the maintenance side isn't a big deal to me either.

That 50 lap stropping is only going to take a minute or two, honing certainly isn't required as often as every 5-6 shaves (maybe 5-6 months, depending), and oiling depends on how long and where you'll store the razor between shaves.

It is a bit of an investment up front; I recommend you get some decent stuff to start with off the B/S/T here, or the always-recommended Whipped Dog starter razors and strops.

Bottom line: I love it and can't see turning back!

I drive a stick-shift, enjoy Linux, ride a unicycle (somewhat), like to customize things MY way, etc. Doing what others consider "the hard way" is part of what makes it fun. For me, the upkeep is a huge part of why I like shaving with a straight. I get a fantastic amount of satisfaction knowing that, good or bad shave, I put the edge on the blade, I chose the angle of the blade, and in several cases, I even built the scales (the handley parts) for it.

I don't have any one to blame but me if something is wrong, and at the same time, I'm not relying on anyone else to provide for me the stuff needed to do a basic function of my daily life. It's fun to walk the shaving aisle at the store and see guys shaking their heads at the prices being charged for razors, and clearly they feel trapped by The Man that they have to buy them (i know i did). I walk up and mention that the straight razor option works for me. I get funny looks, but I can plant the seed, anyway.

Then there's the whole historical aspect of it...it's great to be using something that is an exact tool that a guy was using 200 years ago+.

There s nothing to throw away, so that fits in with basic do-the-earth-good theme as well.

Last edited:
The other alternative is to go the low-end way and see what you can pick up in flea markets etc and send it off to be honed, or learn yourself with lapping film, vintage hones, CrOx etc.
If it's for you, it'll all fall into place - I got a Yellow Lake oilstone from a boot fair for 50p!
Then it becomes a meditation and a way of life :D

I drive a stick-shift, enjoy Linux, ride a unicycle (somewhat), like to customize things MY way, etc. Doing what others consider "the hard way" is part of what makes it fun...

I'm with Krodor 1000%

I do a two-pass head and face shave everyday. Not just becasue I like a well-kept and groomed appeance, but because I love it so damn much! I strop 25/50 before and after EVERYTIME ... it's theraputic to me, not work at all. Hell, sometimes I lather and shave just because I'm bored!

Seriously, having pride and dignity in your own upkeep says alot about your character. Be able to do this in a traditional and skillful manner, says even more

With that said, if you are looking at straights as "work," then Ashwin my friend, you may need to re-evaluate why you want to use a straight in the first place.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Honing every 5-6 shaves seems excessive to me but it depends on what you want. I hone every 20-30 shaves on average. It depends on the razor. I never oil my razors but you got to make sure they are dry.

For the stropping bit, it takes 2-3 minutes to do the laps so it's not too bad. Sure, you got to be committed to it and if you don't think that you can, it might not be for you.

... I never oil my razors but you got to make sure they are dry.

That's my rule as well. Make sure every nook and cranny is dry.

For me straights became part of my lifestyle and daily operation. Almost instictually.

... dammit, I want to go shave now!

Hello, I'm new to this forum, but I've been reading it for quite a while.
I've been shaving with a safety razor since I started shaving, only shifting to mach 3 and canned goo it comes with a few months ago because I thought newer technology would be better, but I'm back to pavilion now.
I was planning to get a straight razor, but I'm holding myself back as I've read, its too much work -

stropping it everyday for 50 laps,
I strop at night, shave in the morning, stropping takes about 1 minute

honing it every 5-6 shaves
Once you get proficient you can likely go near 100 shaves before it needs to be honed

oiling it everyday to prevent it from rusting etc!
I never, ever oil my razors, I store them in silicon sleeves

Is it really so much work, or do I read too much? Can anyone convince me to get a straight razor and all those sharpening equipments?

All of it costs too much, around $200 shipped to my country!
Wipped dog can get you shaving with $50

I have shaved with a one of those local made hair shapers/shavettes before, but found safety razors more comfortable and easy on my face. I know I would be wrong to compare that to a straight razor.
Mods: I wasn't sure which subforum to post this in but this seemed more appropriate. Move it as you may see fit.

See above

shavette is an easy 'gateway'.
what type did you use?

alternatively, here is an idea.
try getting a traditional straight shave at the barber and see if you like the result.
i took my soninlaw for a traditional barber shave at the local aos store in the mall.
he has sensitive skin, but was really pleased with the shave.
and i got him a feather shavette, which he now prefers over his cartridges.

Agreed with what was said before.
And to add a few things.
Yes, stropping takes time. But if you get yourself a nice razor, which I recommend. It is a beautiful piece of craft or even art. Handling it is pleasant in itself.
Yes, shaving with a straight razor takes more time and unfortunately sometimes yield worth results than a Mach3. But sleeping takes even more time and does not shave at all. So does watching TV and other things we do because we have to or just because we like to, or need to relax. My Shaving routine in the morning happens to be one of the best time of the day. It is the only time in the day, when I have piece, quiet and do not need to rush.

Taking Doc's stats about honing every 100 shaves, this might mean you don't need to send a razor out for years. Straight razors are infectious in some way. I don't think you'll find many of us, that settles on just one or two. There are so many grinds, width, shapes, metal source (soligen, sheffield, thiers, Eskilstuna, Fine india ...), type of metal (carbon steel, stainless, damascus)...

Anyway, my suggestion is to get something nice and enjoy it.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Too much work? For some of these maniacs, it's not enough work. They'll go so far as to breadknife their blade, just so they can start all over again.

You are reading on a hobbyist board where a great many of us are obsessed with every nuance of our shave. I love to look at different honing techniques, stropping materials etc etc. When I don't have time I just grab my straight and get it done. The earlier post that said maybe an extra 15 minutes is spot on and part of that is because I can not help but sweat the details. If you never wanted to learn to hone that would be OK. There are plenty of excellent honemiesters that will touch up your blade when it is needed. I suspect, that once started you will find it enjoyable enough that you want to learn to hone. I think the number one reason I love straight razor shaving is it took a task that was always boring and a waste of time and turned it into a part of my day that I really enjoy. Since I look forward to it, a few more minutes is just more time during my day that I am having fun!

I agree with Brian's post above. Most of us straight shavers here took up straight shaving as a hobby, so that 'work' that you're referring to is fun to most of us.

I guess you could equate it to any hobby; take model car building for instance. My brother in law builds model cars as a hobby and spends crazy amounts of time & concentration building these model cars (more than I could do!!). For some it may seem like 'too much work', but for him it's all worth it...and he has great fun doing it!! .same thing with straight shaving/honing.

As has been said, most of us here think the time is worth it. Please note, much of the time spent initially is learning how to shave again. It is the rare straight shaver who picks up a straight for the first time and delivers a shave as good as he was getting with his DE.

Like most things, you get out of it what you put in to it.

try getting a traditional straight shave at the barber and see if you like the result.

Too much work? For some of these maniacs, it's not enough work. They'll go so far as to breadknife their blade, just so they can start all over again.

You are reading on a hobbyist board where a great many of us are obsessed with every nuance of our shave.

Most of us straight shavers here took up straight shaving as a hobby, so that 'work' that you're referring to is fun to most of us.

PREACH!

All this advice and knowledge is so motivating ... makes me want to go shave right this instance :straight:

Get a vintage straight, made sure to be shave ready. If you don't like it you can probably get your money back on ebay or the BST. Give it a go.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I only have to hone a razor once. Period. After each shave I strop on balsa with .1u diamond paste. That keeps my edge sharp, usually. If it starts to fall off, then I strop on .5u diamond on the other side of the balsa until it is sharp again, and then do the normal stropping on .1u diamond. I still strop before the shave, on my hanging leather strop. <br><br>My entire shave routine is less than 15 minutes. My edges are sharp enough and I have been doing this enough that a single WTG pass is good enough for my everyday shave. If I am in a hurry, I reach for the shavette. About 7 minutes for a shave. It's not really any work, just doing what I got to do to make it work, and it's fun and slightly challenging. But if it is too much work for you, I suggest in the following order:<br><br>A shavette<br>A DE<br>An injector<br>A single blade disposable such as the Bic or the Kai Gold-S<br><br>Don't punish yourself. We will have our fun. You can have your no-work shave. It's all good.

Sorry for referring to it as work, and I'm not exactly looking for a no work shave. I drive a stick shift and use Linux too, so I'm not really afraid to work if the result is satisfactory.
Thanks people, I'll order mine as soon as possible!

Sorry for referring to it as work, and I'm not exactly looking for a no work shave. I drive a stick shift and use Linux too, so I'm not really afraid to work if the result is satisfactory.
Thanks people, I'll order mine as soon as possible!

Yay! As you / if you have questions as you progress, just post and ask! Welcome to the crazy-house.

Top Bottom