What's new

Ramen vs. Pho

Ramen or Pho?

• Ramen

• Pho

Results are only viewable after voting.
Now this is an excellent question. Short answer is I love a good bowl of either. But you can only really get good ramen in Japan (negi/miso/chashumen) from a 'ramen shop' franchise up in Aomori. After you've had that you'll understand. Pho, on the other hand, is much better made by Vietnamese in Melbourne at a 'pho dzung' franchise (the beef special with all the good stuff + hoisin sauce) than in Vietnam itself. Discovering that was a disappointing surprise.

Last edited:
Real ramen is so much better than pho. There's a place in DC I had the chance to try that has the noodles flown in from Japan and their ramen cooks learned how to cook ramen in Japan. It's just sooooo much better than pho. One of my favorite ramen places is a little hole in the wall ran by a Japanese couple in Morgantown, WV. Pho's good, but there's one kind of pho. You have all kinds of different variations of ramen.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ramen.

... good ramen, that is. Putting a bowl of pho up against the instant noodle nonsense that most of us think of as "ramen" is like putting a bottle of Latour up against half a can of flat Miller Lite in the "wine or beer" poll.

Just had the best ramen the other day, spicy pork broth with the most succulent roasted pork. It's ramen by a mile for me since I'm more of a fan of egg noodles than mushy rice noodles. Also, you can't compare the cheap $1 store bought insta-ramen to a restaurant bought pho.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I had my first Pho last night. I got steak, and it was great. I am kicking myself, though, for not spending the extra $2 for a side of oxtail. Maybe I will get it the next time.

I had my first Pho last night. I got steak, and it was great. I am kicking myself, though, for not spending the extra $2 for a side of oxtail. Maybe I will get it the next time.
Most pho places offer a house special, which contains all the different types of beef in one dish ... steak, brisket, meatballs, tendon, tripe, etc. This gives you the chance to try them all in one shot.

I've found that brisket is my favorite, so that's what I've been ordering for the last few years. But when I first discovered Pho, I tried something different each time to sample all the different varieties. Some are better than others, except for tripe, which is downright disgusting.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Most pho places offer a house special, which contains all the different types of beef in one dish ... steak, brisket, meatballs, tendon, tripe, etc. This gives you the chance to try them all in one shot.

I've found that brisket is my favorite, so that's what I've been ordering for the last few years. But when I first discovered Pho, I tried something different each time to sample all the different varieties. Some are better than others, except for tripe, which is downright disgusting.

I knew I couldn't stomach the tripe (I hate menudo, too) and wasn't sure about the tendon.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but i HAD to share. Eat tour heart out gents.Had this last night after working a 16 hr shift. It was sooooooooooo good. House special which was spicy but left you really full with the beef & pork mixed in.
Carry on.

Attachments

• $IMG_20150122_202219_440.jpg
    $IMG_20150122_202219_440.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 67
Living where I do, the San Gabriel Valley, I can say that they are different colors of the same car. I love both Ramen and Phò.

I love the simplicity of Phò Tai and Hakata Ramen. I cannot chose. But I will tell you that I am real picky about where I get it. And out here I can get fresh Phò noodles and fresh Ramen noodles and they make difference.

I just ate, but my mouth is watering! This is a small chicken and mushroom pho. I season to taste with basil, lime, soy sauce, chili paste, jalapeño, and add plenty of fresh, crispy bean sprouts. Great way to clear the sinuses, too!

I had pho for dinner tonight. Love the stuff! I am in Edmond, OK and there are only a couple of places that have it. The one we get here does a good job but I do doctor it up quite a bit. Sriracha, hoisin, even a little Chinese 5 spice.
If you drive about fifteen minutes though OKC has a pretty large Asian district and there is a place there that does it right! Just amazingly good. Probably my favorite meal out right now.

I had pho for dinner tonight. Love the stuff! I am in Edmond, OK and there are only a couple of places that have it. The one we get here does a good job but I do doctor it up quite a bit. Sriracha, hoisin, even a little Chinese 5 spice.
If you drive about fifteen minutes though OKC has a pretty large Asian district and there is a place there that does it right! Just amazingly good. Probably my favorite meal out right now.
Pho is just about all I eat when I'm in the mood for a sit-down meal. Nothing else fills me up and tastes so satisfying for only $9.50 with tip.

Top Bottom