What's new

2014 Shave Purchase Sabbatical, The Year of Gentlemanly Shenanigans.

Inspired by the 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 Shave Purchase Sabbaticals and all those who were successful, those who are still toughing it out, those who signed up, and those who fell to temptation, we--sgtd, maxzoran, and Reckoner--present the Badger and Blade 2014 Shave Purchase Sabbatical Gentlemanly Restraint thread. The sabbatical is open to all ascetics, gluttons, minimizers, denizens of the doghouse, hecklers, reformed treewhalers, and folks with nothing better to do. Heck, we might even let Searlands back in. We're all about cheap thrills in the sabbatical. Cure your ADs, prime your 3017 campaign, learn your current setup, enjoy what you've got, protect your paychecks: we walk many paths on the same road.

New to restraint? The ground rules are simple: You don't purchase shaving related goods for a calendar year (12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days, 525,600 minutes). We start when 2013 becomes 2014 and we end when 2014 becomes 2015.

To clarify, not buying anything means not spending money (or redeeming gift cards) on shaving goods, period. This includes blade, cream, soap, brush, scuttle, Bic Comfort Twins, aftershave, stone, strop, lapping film, water heater, and on and on. You get the idea. You spent money on it? You haven't shown restraint.*

The fine print on the grey areas: Functional maintenance, such as straight razor honing, does not count as a purchased good. Since we're all gentlemen here, we leave it up to you to decide if PIF purchases for others count as purchases. Gifts you receive are also dicy. Because these and other fuzzy areas may pop up, let's agree to be gentlemanly in our appraisal of still in or knocked out. In other words, you're in until you say "I'm out" and you're out if you spent money! If you buy something, announce what you bought so we can get our vicarious thrills at your expense and strike you from the list.

Group exceptions
Badger and Blade branded items
Sue Moore Memorial Auction items
Badger and Blade contributor badge
January 1-7, 2014 restock window for successful year-long 2013 sabbaticalians (2013 GRUCers can restock 12/25-12/31/2013).

*Oscar Wilde Clause ("Everything in moderation, including moderation"): If you elect to do so, you may state one specific personal exception when you sign up.

What say you? Are you in?!
:euro::euro:

Let's do this! I'm in for back-to-back sabbaticals. As a (hopefully) victorious member of the 2013 sabbatical, I will make use of the restock window to top off my soap dish, but I will not use my personal exception for 2014.

I'm really looking forward to doing this thing with sgtd and maxzoran. Bruce is leaving big shoes to fill!

Let's get the list fired up:
1. Reckoner - No exceptions

I'm in but I have a feeling that I'll be out before January is over.

2. AABCDS - B&B Essential brushes are my only exception

I am in! I missed the 2013 sabbatical - mainly because I didn't want to participate. But I am ready for the 2014 sabbatical. Only exception would be the Ikon Razor with a 85mm handle. Why don't I buy it now, you ask? Well, its currently out of stock on my favourite vendor's site.

2. AABCDS - B&B Essential brushes are my only exception
3. Dwader
4. lordfink - Ikon razor with 85mm handle bar

Also, here are pictures of my shipment that came in yesterday. All the items are in preparation for the 2014 sabbatical. Not pictured is the rest of my shaveden which I suspect might have been sufficient to last me 2014 anyway.

The entire shipment with some shaving sticks that I've never tried before
$photo 3.jpg

The ATT Atlas H1
$photo 1.jpg

A Muhle R41 to replace my existing R41 with a standard length Bulldog handle
$photo 2.jpg

2. AABCDS - B&B Essential brushes
3. Dwader
5. Andy - No exceptions
6. maxzoran - No exceptions

I need to get my shave den in order before 2013 is out so I'll be posting a WTT in BST, but other than that.... I'm IN, no exceptions.

I want to do it. I want an exception but I don't know what I want. I figure I will know it when I see it. I should be ready to rock and roll 1 Jan with a head ache.

I'm in as well. Nothing I'm looking for so I will also have no exceptions. I have a pretty big shipment of soap coming from IB so I really need to whittle down my soap collection. Let's do this!!

I'm in. My one exception is a GEM Jewel or Ever-Ready Streamline. That's the same razor with two different names, so it counts as one, right? If I find either of those in the wild (or on the BST) I'm buying it.

I'm in,no exceptions.
I think I am over all my AD's by now, but still have not been able to let go of anything.
my goal for 2014 will be to let go of all the excess stuff.

Just copy the list from the person above you and add yourself to the bottom. It's easier if everyone adds themselves.

3. Dwader - No exceptions
5. Andy - No exceptions
7. Reevers - No exceptions
8. olschoolsteel - Exception to be determined
9. treewhale - ?
10. ckang79 - No exceptions
11. martym - No exceptions
12. dcobranchi - GEM Jewel/Ever Ready Streamline
13. vreddy2000 - No exceptions
14. Clover - No exceptions

I'm in. I came back to traditional wet shaving to save money. I've had a blast but the saving money thing didn't happen at all. So, this is the year I make that part happen too. No exceptions.

3. Dwader - No exceptions
5. Andy - No exceptions
7. Reevers - No exceptions
8. olschoolsteel - Exception to be determined
9. treewhale - ?
10. ckang79 - No exceptions
11. martym - No exceptions
12. dcobranchi - GEM Jewel/Ever Ready Streamline