What's new

Help me choose a pocket notebook

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Back story: I write on my hand. Simple as that. Specifically the little spot between your thumb and index finger. That's my notepad while on the go. Even while at work, where within 20 steps in any direction I could find something to write on....i choose my hand.

If I don't use my hand (let's say I don't have a pen handy) then I try to remember what I needed to take a note of. Which it never fails that I forget. Never.

So here is what I'm looking for.....

a pocket notebook that will fit in the back pocket of my jeans.
Something durable that will take a beating.
I don't want to remove it when I sit down.
I want it to be a part of my body like my wallet is.
I don't want to know it's there until I need it.

I'll just be using this for taking quick notes. Stuff to follow up on, stuff to do, stuff i need to remember pretty much.

I was checking out the Field Notes brand and they seem pretty cool. Small & flexible...but would it last living in my back pocket?

What other suggestions do you'll have?

Thanks!

Midori Passport size. I made my own version of one of these for my wife. She uses her phone for everything, so I adopted it for myself. I never leave the house without it in my back pocket. I hardly notice it, unless I need it.

I have a clairfontaine one I like, and a midori MD I love in my midori system, but dont think you can go wrong with a field notes either

I'm quite partial to this.

It's a military memo notebook. It fits all your criteria and it's made to take a beating. I've had mine in and out of coat and pants pockets for over a year now and the only cosmetic damage is a curled corner due to my own rough handling.

I would second the Midori. I like the looks of it and it seems like it will hold up. It is next on my list after I use up the field notes I have. Although, I would add the leather cover to help keep the note pad in better shape. The field notes don't seem to hold up as well as I would like.

I would also add that on the field notes I tend to get ghosting which makes it difficult to use both sides of the page.

Last edited:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
The small Moleskins work great, and can be found at Target.

$003.jpg$002.jpg

Nice pen Mike!
I use the Field Notes books as kick around note books, and think they fit exactly what you are asking for plus the paper is FP friendly.

For more serious notebook needs I have the B&B Folios or my Midori (regular size).
The Midori is pricey, but is a great system IMHO.

I carry a Rhodia #11 size. There is a vinyl cover for it, which I have, but am not sure that it's really needed, as the notebook itself has a plastic cover. I have carried it in a back pocket, but usually it's in a shirt or jacket pocket, so I can't tell you how it would hold up to months of being sat on. There is also a smaller size, which you could probably carry in any pocket at all.

Another solution. I have a large number, there still must be a couple of hundred left, of 1.5 x 3.5 inch index cards. I bought them many years ago for a project that never got underway, and didn't want to waste them. So I usually carry about 5-10 inside my wallet to make quick notes, or to write things down for other people if I don't happen to have remembered a notebook. Of course, there's no reason why you would have to hunt down the exact size, just cut some larger cards down into strips. It's a crude solution, but a step up from writing on your hand.:wink2:

I've read how some men were always scribbling notes on their shirt cuffs, back in the turn of the 20th century days when men's shirts had detachable cuffs. Irrelevant today, of course.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Thanks folks! Lot's of great suggestions to look in to. I like the Midori because of the leather cover. It seems like it would hold up nicely. But it is a little more than I wanted to pay.

The military memo is more along the price I wanted to pay. 9 bucks for a 3 pack is pretty good.

And those moleskins at target appear to be thin which would also be nice since I'll be sitting on it. Looks like they can take a beating too!

I think that 3" x 4.75" would be the ideal size. Maybe even a little smaller. But as long as it's thin then it should work well.

I'll have to head to target to check out those moleskins since they are about the only ones I don't have to order online.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Small Rhodia notebooks, 7.5 X 12 cm, 48 pages (24 sheets) and about $2-3

Bulletproof, they actually last longer than it takes to fill them, not even noticeable in the hip pocket. Perfect French paper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Small Rhodia notebooks, 7.5 X 12 cm, 48 pages (24 sheets) and about $2-3

Bulletproof, they actually last longer than it takes to fill them, not even noticeable in the hip pocket. Perfect French paper.

Looks like another possible winner. But only available in graph paper?
Was hoping for lined.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'll send you one Jason, you'll quickly forget it's graph paper...this coming from an engineer. :lol:

I carry a Rhodia #11 size. There is a vinyl cover for it, which I have, but am not sure that it's really needed, as the notebook itself has a plastic cover. I have carried it in a back pocket, but usually it's in a shirt or jacket pocket, so I can't tell you how it would hold up to months of being sat on. There is also a smaller size, which you could probably carry in any pocket at all.

Yep, a big +1 for Rhodia.
I have had their pad cover for around 18 months, and it lives in my trouser pocket and still looks presentable.
Can't go wrong with Rhodia :thumbsup:

Another solution. I have a large number, there still must be a couple of hundred left, of 1.5 x 3.5 inch index cards. I bought them many years ago for a project that never got underway, and didn't want to waste them. So I usually carry about 5-10 inside my wallet to make quick notes, or to write things down for other people if I don't happen to have remembered a notebook. Of course, there's no reason why you would have to hunt down the exact size, just cut some larger cards down into strips. It's a crude solution, but a step up from writing on your hand.:wink2:

I've read how some men were always scribbling notes on their shirt cuffs, back in the turn of the 20th century days when men's shirts had detachable cuffs. Irrelevant today, of course.
I like these
proxy.php

Even sweeter at 1.60
proxy.php

Top Bottom