What's new

New Honing on a DMT 8000

Hi everyone first post. I'm new to straight razor shaving but looking forward to the process. I got a new dovo razor and a new DMT 8000 for honing. I got a strop from the well shaved gent as well. I have a couple of questions about using the DMT.

When I hone on the DMT(wet) it almost feels like there are small bumps in the DMT that are snaggin on my razor. I will make a pass with a light touch and I can feel the 3-4 snags with each pass. The snags feel like there are small shards sticking up int the hone. Is this normal? Shouldn't it feel more glass-like?

I have used other hones(Stones) on pocket knives and such and I have never felt them snag like this. Did I get a bad DMT or is that how they are supose to feel. I haven't been able to get a very good edge yet which is why I'm posting.

The blade bites into my thumbnail nice and even but when I go to shave it cuts and pulls pretty good. I can't get it to pass the HHT. Any advice on honing with the DMT for a newbie would be appreciated.

Paul

First welcome to B&B! We are happy to have you join us.

You should not feel bumps in the hone. Try taking it to the sink and clean it with some scouring powder and a sponge. If it stays "bumpy" contact the vendor and discuss it with them. Most are willing to work with you.

That being said...SOAPBOX MODE ON.... I wouldn't start honing my first razor. It's too easy to trash the edge. Honing a straight is as much an art as a science. You mentioned running it across you thumbnail. If you did that after the finish hone you just trashed the edge. The thumbnail test is used to determine if you are ready to go to a finish hone or not. Send your razor to one of the honemeisters. When you get it back, you will know what sharp is and what it should feel like. Don't strop it before shaving the first time. Get yourself a Ebay razor, or buy a good vintage from the B/S/T and learn to hone on it. Your face will thank you.

....SOAPBOX MODE OFF...

D8EE's are broken in at the factory (one reason they are more expensive) and should be completely smooth on the top.

I agree with Jay - you shouldn't be trying to hone your first razor, but if anything you're probably overhoning it. Those DMT plates are WICKED fast cutters, and even the incredibly fine D8EE cuts quick as dickens, so you're likely overhoning it.

Great choice on the DMT D8EE though... it's quickly becoming my FAVORITE razor hone. It's immediately ready for use (you don't have to soak it like a waterstone) it cuts incredibly fast and fine, and it never has to be flattened. I find that when I have a razor thats edge needs to be refreshed, just a few (I mean literally 2-3 strokes) on the DMT D8EE and a few strops on Green Chrome (total time investment of about 1 minute) puts an edge as smooth and lovely on the razor as I'd get spending 20 minutes toiling over it with a myriad of expensive belgians, eschers, etc.

If I could have only TWO honing/sharpening tools, one would be the DMT D8EE and the other would be a green chrome pasted paddle strop. I'd take that aforementioned combo (which would set you back around $100 out the door) over anything else - including combo stones, and the super fancy/rare stuff.

My D8EE also needed a bit of a break-in at first. It felt like there were a few grains of sand on it - a bit of a bump as the blade passed over. I used it to smooth out a barber hone and a few bits of scrap metal, and things are much better now. When I first received it, several D8 users also indicated that the hone needed a break-in period, so I didn't send it back. Perhaps I should have. At any rate, I'm pleased with mine now. I'm not sure if it is my technique, or if the hone is now broken in. Either way, a few swipes and the edge is restored.

-- tim

I am fairly new at this and took Joel's advice. Sound, concise and to the point. I use a 4 sided strop with the DMT and I shave with sharp, really sharp, razors. I read a lot about how newbies wonder why it pulls, why is it a straight leaves so much behind, and a host of other problems. The answer is because the razor is DULL ! It is a shame that new razors arrive not shave ready. I am thinking a lot of people give up because of this single fact. IMHO

Take Care,
Richard

Thanks for the replies. I don't want to send if of to get honed, to me getting into straight shaving is about the self-reliance and half of the fun is the honing part so I'll stick with trial and error for now. I don't want to send my blade off to get honed for $ kind of seems like buying a prebuilt model airplane and going out and flying, half the fun is in the building.

I was able to get a semi decent edge, my first shave went ok, although a little slow. The blade pulled like a dull safety razor a little on my beard is all.

By joel's recommendation I got the dmt. I think it does need a little break in though, like owl says it feels like there were some grains of sand sticking up, I could feel the tiny bumps catch my blade as i made the passes. I tried a green pad and it dulled them a little. But I may have to try some wet sandpaper. If anyone has any advice let me know.

Joel, if 2-3 passes is all you use to refresh, then I may have over-honed. I'll back hone and start new. I was thinking of getting a 4 sided pasted strop next. But will the a green chrome strop do the job, if so then for $ sake I'll just get that.

Thank again everyone
Paul

I understand the thought to do it yourself. I bought 2 razors originally because I shave with straights, that's it. If I nick one or have a problem then I will send it out because I do not have the hones or the inclination to do major repairs. I sent one out to have honed so I could study the edge and see how it shaved and it is my backup. I honed another new Dovo razor with the DMT and it came out really well. For strops research check out 1. making your own out of balsa strop, (looks like a great idea and I am going to try it) 2. The differences of diamond vrs. chromium paste. The topics are here in posts and sticky notes and as always are covered very well.

Take care,
Richard

...I tried a green pad and it dulled them a little. But I may have to try some wet sandpaper. If anyone has any advice let me know.
I break in a DMT by lapping a hone on it for a short time. Anything relatively flat should work, old razor, chisel, flat side of an old butterknife, etc...

Joel was right. The DMTt cuts very fast, so fast I over honed. I knocked down the edge, made five light passes on the DMT, stropped and the shave was nice. I was reading the forum and took the advice he gave to another newbie about using the DMT. Thanks!!

My shaving technique is getting better no cuts yet and time slashed in half.

One note on the DMT- I know that they are suppose to come broken in but mine didn't, or else I just got a bad one. When I first honed with it, my blade would actually hit pieces sticking up in the surface of the DMT, so much so that my blade would stop during a pass. I took a course stone I had and ran it accross the DMT and It worked amazingly after that honey smooth.

I just ordered a DMT D8EE as well, I just got the tracking number today.

I had purchased a Norton with my razor, but after reading more the DMT sounds like it'll be a lot less work and provide faster results. It seemed like the Norton would need almost as much upkeep as the razor itself. If the DMT works out well I'm sure I'll be selling the Norton

The heads up on the break in is good to have. I'll probably try throwing an old knife on it as suggested to break it in a little.

Is a pasted strop really necessary or would the D8EE and a normal leather strop be good enough to get me going?

The D8EE is an fine grit, but it is still a hone and I wouldn't want to use it regularly on a razor. Stropping daily for shaving, after 10 - 20 shaves (YMMV) a FEW passes on a pasted strop and back in use.

The D8EE would only see use 1-2 times a year on average if the pasted strop wasn't refreshing the blade sufficiently. It's faster than a Norton 4/8k but my personal recommendation would be to get one of Tony's pasted strops as the primary edge refresher.

The 0.5 green chrome on leather/balsa sounds a lot simpler (and less expensive) than a Spyderco UF or barber hone. You'll never need to lap it either.

I'm gonna' put some on a double paddle myself this month.

The D8EE is an fine grit, but it is still a hone and I wouldn't want to use it regularly on a razor. Stropping daily for shaving, after 10 - 20 shaves (YMMV) a FEW passes on a pasted strop and back in use.

The D8EE would only see use 1-2 times a year on average if the pasted strop wasn't refreshing the blade sufficiently. It's faster than a Norton 4/8k but my personal recommendation would be to get one of Tony's pasted strops as the primary edge refresher.

Yea riiiiiiiiight! So you only buy 1-2 razors a year. :001_rolle I would bet you have RAD worse than that!:badger:

Richard

Yea riiiiiiiiight! So you only buy 1-2 razors a year. :001_rolle I would bet you have RAD worse than that!:badger:

Richard

I am speaking of razors IN USE. A razor, once sharp, should not need to see the D8EE more than 1-2 times a year. The pasted strop SHOULD be all the touchup you need.

eBay specials and new blades for dealers are a different story.

Let's not bring my RAD affliction into this. I'm considering a 12 step program. :blush:

LOL! I have been into straights for about about 2 months and already have 4 but I think that will do it till the Le Grelot rolls in, probably?

Richard

LOL! I have been into straights for about about 2 months and already have 4 but I think that will do it till the Le Grelot rolls in, probably?

Richard

Keep telling yourself that. And when you think your convinced, check the list of blades in my wiki entry, then start your mantra again.

I know this off thread but ...... Jay, I am speechless! :a39:

Seriously the only reason that I have bought this many is because I could not go somewhere and look at razors. I have recently bought a 6/8 Dovo Bismark and I have found my blade size. I have a heavy beard and absolutely love the shave from this razor! I am home.:001_smile I have so many other things I want to do with my time. Hope this does not insult anyone, it is off topic. If objectionable I will remove it. I am still working with this one from Mono Lake in California taken with a Large Format 4x5 film camera. It was a quiet and peaceful place to be.

Take Care,
Richard

If I could have only TWO honing/sharpening tools, one would be the DMT D8EE and the other would be a green chrome pasted paddle strop. I'd take that aforementioned combo (which would set you back around $100 out the door) over anything else - including combo stones, and the super fancy/rare stuff.

OK, got me convinced! DMT D8EE on order.

Top Bottom