What's new

Shaving includes motors and muck

I really can't take that comment seriously. Sales of Electric razors are actually in decline since the 60's and 70's and thats a fact. An electric shaver just leaves me and many others feeling and looking barely better than unshaven and I have tried many including one that cost £130 and vibrated at 13000 revs. It still didn't make me feel or look clean shaven.
I've heard before what Richard has said about electrics splitting the ends of the whiskers instead of actually cutting them at the skin so they feel smoother to the touch, giving the impression of a close shave. Makes sense to me because I could seeming get a close shave from an electric--until 3-4 hours later when all that smoothness was replaced with new rough stubble.

I guess anyone who has a hobby where they collect items be it fishing lures, razors, watches, guns, bottles or anything else has some disorder eh?

If people wish to acquire razors or soap or aftershave or brushes and they can afford to do it thats their business. I don't think we need someone telling these people they suffer from some disorder. If you wish to have just one razor and one brush and use canned goo and hate shaving that's your business and that's ok too.

Personally, I don't understand why someone who hates shaving would even want to post here but I guess its like someone who hates guns going on a gun enthusiast site and telling people there to support gun control and I guess thats OK too as long as your willing to take the heat.
That's pretty much a by-the-book definition of trolling. Generally discouraged in any forum venue since it only results in riling up the userbase and creating headaches for the mods.

I'm trolling? I'm only responding to what the man said. I'm not the one who said people who acquire shaving paraphanalia have some disorder did I?

I've heard before what Richard has said about electrics splitting the ends of the whiskers instead of actually cutting them at the skin

I've never heard of any electric razor that "splits" hairs. How would that work? All the electric razors I have tried and seen shear hairs in a kind of pincer movement or have a rotating blade system. I can't imagine any system that could possibly split a hair and what would be the point anyway? I'm open to being educated of course, seriously.

I'm trolling? I'm only responding to what the man said. I'm not the one who said people who acquire shaving paraphanalia have some disorder did I?

I don't think you are, I would think that someone else is, and has been, subtly trolling for some time if the truth be known.

I'm glad that you have found a way to recover from the obsession and addiction of wetshaving, but I'm afraid that your other mission (saving others from it) is doomed to failure. It's like joining a football team in order to talk your team-mates out of enjoying sports.
I agree but a forum isn't much if it does't have at least one grouchy old curmudgeon who criticizes everything. :001_smile

By the way, my compulsions and addictions returned. In the last week I went from four razors to nine plus three more I bought for resale. So far I've resisted using the new acquisitions sticking to one razor. I bought three adjustables, a Fatboy, Slim and Super to give them yet another chance to show me something. I really wish an adjustable worked well for me since I think the Super is the best looking razor Gillette ever made.

Sales of Electric razors are actually in decline since the 60's and 70's and thats a fact.
That may be a fact where you live but Remington reported to the Securities and Exchange Commission that sales of all brands of electric razors in the U.S. have gone up 2% annually since 1987. Do you know the penalty for making a false statement to the SEC?

Richard

That may be a fact where you live but Remington reported to the Securities and Exchange Commission that sales of all brands of electric razors in the U.S. have gone up 2% annually since 1987. Do you know the penalty for making a false statement to the SEC?

We're back to that old US thing again then. You may want to watch this http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xm34m_national-geographic-closer-shave_ads and reconsider your opinion on the sales of electric razors. Apart from which, would Remington say anything else?
The penalties for engaging in sexual relations outside of marriage whilst in office at the Whitehouse are pretty severe but it didn't stop Bill did it. (Probably not the best example because he got away with it but you know what I mean)

Apologies, I don't mean your post, it's your last paragraph that defines a troll's actions, not yourself personally. :001_smile

That's pretty much a by-the-book definition of trolling.

You are not trolling, you simply described a situation that is near identical to the definition of internet trolling. You defined it, and Arcman was simply letting you know that you hit the nail on the head, just with a definition instead of the word itself.

I've never heard of any electric razor that "splits" hairs. How would that work? All the electric razors I have tried and seen shear hairs in a kind of pincer movement or have a rotating blade system. I can't imagine any system that could possibly split a hair and what would be the point anyway? I'm open to being educated of course, seriously.
This was where I had heard previously about electrics by leaving microscopic split ends, just by the nature of their operation. I don't have another source to quantify it beyond that, however.

This was where I had heard previously about electrics by leaving microscopic split ends, just by the nature of their operation. I don't have another source to quantify it beyond that, however.

I see, so they don't actually split the hair when cutting but leave "split ends" so to speak. My stubble feels like barbed wire however I shave it so it doesn't hold true for me, but then we're all different I guess.

We're back to that old US thing again then. You may want to watch this http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xm34m_national-geographic-closer-shave_ads and reconsider your opinion on the sales of electric razors. Apart from which, would Remington say anything else?
I'd estimate that more than 90% of the members of this forum are Americans. The typical American isn't going to consider how the average native of India shaves when he's in the drugstore or supermarket looking at shaving displays.

The SEC has the power to put Remington out of business and send some members of management to prison. Corporations try very hard to avoid filing a false statement with the SEC. These statements are what they use to induce people to buy shares of their stock so false statements are criminal fraud on multiple levels.
The penalties for engaging in sexual relations outside of marriage whilst in office at the Whitehouse are pretty severe but it didn't stop Bill did it. (Probably not the best example because he got away with it but you know what I mean)
Bad example. Very bad example. There are no penalties in the District of Columbia (including the White House) for persons of legal age having consensual sex. Bill's crime was PERJURY, lying under oath to a judge. His crime wasn't engaging in sexual activity with Monica. Perhaps some foreigners didn't comprehend what the fuss was all about.

Richard

No, I'm saying that it's an unusual thing. Finding brush lathering "ultimately" more enjoyable and satisfying is part of the cultic aspect of shaving forum wet shaving. I find brush lather fun to make but beyond that I can't tell the slightest smidgen of difference between brush lather and canned foam. Lathering is a chore and a nuisance I find no more enjoyable and satisfying that brushing my teeth or trimming my toenails. I used a DE for more than 40 years out of the 50 plus years I shaved mostly because that's how I started and I saw no reason to change at least not until I found a decent electric shaver in the 1990's. While I've used only a DE for the last six months I'm only a hairbreadth away from going back to the speed and convenience of an electric shaver. The fun of making lather during 20 minutes of messy shaving only slightly outweighs getting a good shave in two minutes.Richard

I'm having trouble following you here Richard. In one paragraph you have labelled lathering a chore to be compared with toenail cutting, yet you also describe it as fun.

Also facts are easy to throw around, but without any sort of reference, are easy to dismiss. Twenty million Americans may well do such and such and Remington may have submitted to the SEC that all electric shaver brands have increased sales by so much (though I don't know how they would have the sales figures of their competitors) but without references others can verify and discuss, they hold no weight.

Just out of curiosity, I find brush lathering very enjoyable and satisfying. Am I also considered cultist for this, or was it specifcally for the term "ultimately" as quoted?

I'd estimate that more than 90% of the members of this forum are Americans. The typical American isn't going to consider how the average native of India shaves when he's in the drugstore or supermarket looking at shaving displays.

So that automatically invalidates the rest of us does it? The point is that we in the West are actually in the minority and "traditional" shaving is actually the norm for the majority of the worlds population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGeorge View Post
Bad example. Very bad example. There are no penalties in the District of Columbia (including the White House) for persons of legal age having consensual sex. Bill's crime was PERJURY, lying under oath to a judge. His crime wasn't engaging in sexual activity with Monica. Perhaps some foreigners didn't comprehend what the fuss was all about.

As a foreigner I'm well aware what his "offence" was without writing it chapter and verse. As I recall he was looking at impeachment, a pretty serious situation I would say. The point was that if someone wants to break the rules they will if they think they can get away with it. Perhaps as an American you remember Watergate? Are you so naive that you think the threat of prison will stop CEO's or Corporate management from lying? How many examples of Corporate fraud would you like me to list?

I'm having trouble following you here Richard. In one paragraph you have labelled lathering a chore to be compared with toenail cutting, yet you also describe it as fun.
I said making lather was fun, not using lather. After it's whipped up the fun is all gone. Then the only fun comes from shaving my cat.

proxy.php

Also facts are easy to throw around, but without any sort of reference, are easy to dismiss. Twenty million Americans may well do such and such and Remington may have submitted to the SEC that all electric shaver brands have increased sales by so much (though I don't know how they would have the sales figures of their competitors) but without references others can verify and discuss, they hold no weight.
Actually independent companies compile statistics on sales for almost all retail products, including shaving gear. Many Wall Street firms do the same. There's no secret to sales. You can pick up your phone and your stockbroker will have the figures for you in less than 24 hours (if he and his firm are any good). If you want a reference on page 49 of the November 2002 issue of Consumer Reports it says "roughly 30%" of American men shave with an electric razor, a figure I've seen several other places including the New York Times. The number has continued to increase since that publication and today more than one in three American men use an electric. 30% of American men of shaving age is actually much more than twenty million, a figure I picked up from a Proctor and Gamble press release.

Just out of curiosity, I find brush lathering very enjoyable and satisfying. Am I also considered cultist for this, or was it specifcally for the term "ultimately" as quoted?
There's nothing cultic about finding anything enjoyable and satisfying. The cultic part arises when the practice is preached to others, the proselytizing of cultism. I deliberately limit the size of my responses here yet they're longer than average as it is. Explaining how 'ultimately' relates to cultism in this instance would take several pages.

As a foreigner I'm well aware what his "offence" was without writing it chapter and verse. As I recall he was looking at impeachment, a pretty serious situation I would say.
As a foreigner you seem unaware that Bill Clinton was impeached on two counts on December 19, 1998. On perjury the vote to impeach was 228 to 206 and on obstruction of justice the vote was 221 to 212.

Wet shaving can be defined about any way anyone wishes but traditional wet shaving is still that of upper class England in the first half of the 20th century. Very few in the non-Western world shave that way.

Group hugs? That does sound cultic... or kindergartenish. I've worked places where an employee would be fired for saying something like that much less trying it. I doubt there's much more to say in this thread. Perhaps it should be closed? St. George has followed the resident dragon (me) from post to post to criticize me, not my ideas. :001_smile

Richard

St. George has followed the resident dragon (me) from post to post to criticize me, not my ideas.

Please don't flatter yourself. Its not so much your opinion as your delivery and condescension. I'm done, you can troll away to your hearts content.

Top Bottom