What's new

From distant lands.

Some time ago, I listed all the countries that were represented in my shaving supplies. It came to somewhere between fifteen and twenty, I believe, with some that an American might consider unlikely, Egypt, Jordan, and Slovenia, for example.

I can't come up with quite as many for fountain and dip pen supplies. I'd only count paper if I got it specifically for fountain pen use. Ballpoints and Rollerballs don't count. Still, it's getting a little bit international around here.

1. USA. Various vintage pens, Conklin, Esterbrook, Parker, Sheaffer, Waterman. Modern ones, Edison and Noodler's. Inks, Noodler's and Private Reserve. And other things.
  2. Canada. I have an old BCHR lever filler with no markings on it at all. The 14k nib, though, says "Sheaffer's" and "made in Canada".
  3. Japan. Various Pilot pens and inks. One Ohto pen. Kokuyo notebook.
  4. Vietnam. One Bandtapple notebook that came in a Goulet's sample pack.
  5. Taiwan. TWSBI ROC 100 and Mini.
  6. China. Various brands of pen, Haolilai, Hero, Wing Sung, Jin Hao.
  7. Germany. Kaweco, Lamy, and Pelikan pens. Rohrer & Klinger, Montblanc, and Pelikan inks.
  8. France. Modern Waterman pens. Rhodia and Clairefontaine paper.
  9. England. One vintage Conway Stewart lever filler from the 1950s.
  10. Italy. No pens, but I do have some squares of Visconti blotting paper.

That's all I can think of. There are some Indian brands I'd considered, but decided against for now. Although I think I read that one US brand I have is actually made in India. I may be wrong.

And of course, with pens, not all the parts will be from the country where they are assembled. Edison uses German nibs, as does much of the rest of the world. I once wrote to Yafa, which owns the modern Conklin pen company, to ask where the "Mark Twain" editions were made. They responded that the nib was German, the rest of the parts were made in Taiwan, and they were assembled in the US. My vintage Conklins should be all American made, though. I think.:001_cool:

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Your list is quite complete, thanks! Besides what you show (yet no Taiwan or China), I've got pens from Russia, Poland (Danzig), and Austria, inks from Austria (newest Montblanc and MonteVerde), lots of Italian inks (Delta, Aurora, Omas), and Sheaffer ink from Slovenia. I'll poke around and see what other nations could be represented.

Top Bottom