What's new

Hydrolast then and now

Many months ago I gave method shaving a try. I purchased all of the goodies, and while the whole system wasn't the answer for me, I did quite like the spray tonic and aftershave moisturizing cream. At the time, it was THE BEST aftershave treatment that I had ever used.

Since then, I have purchased a few different aftershaves (a few, heh heh). Along with quite of few of you gents, I've grown quite enamored with the Proraso Post shave cream, which I've been using in conjunction with the Thayer's alcohol free witch hazel.

Over the last week or so, I've pulled the Hydrolast back out and begun to use it again. Interestingly enough, I am no longer impressed with this item. I don't believe that it holds a candle to the Proraso Post.

Opinions from anyone else who has used both?

Kyle, I tried the Proraso post shave cream and found it too heavy for my face. I usually dilute balms by keeping my face wet when I apply it. It was still too heavy. I do the same with the CAR balm and find it lighter.

Again, different strokes for different folks. This summer I am skipping the balms and AS and I actually like the way my face feels.

Kyle,
Some time ago I posted that I found the Hydrolast product(s) rather ordinary, especially when considering the premium price(s) charged.
It is interesting though, that one or more of the mods here is/are always trumpeting how splendid and how a little goes a long way. Well there is no accounting for taste, so I am sure that the same mod will probably go on praising these products, thereby ensnaring new unsuspecting consumers into purchasing them.
I guess some folks have to learn the hard way by plunking down their hard earned cash before they can see that the king's new clothes are not a worthy fabric.

guenron said:
Kyle,
Some time ago I posted that I found the Hydrolast product(s) rather ordinary, especially when considering the premium price(s) charged.
It is interesting though, that one or more of the mods here is/are always trumpeting how splendid and how a little goes a long way. Well there is no accounting for taste, so I am sure that the same mod will probably go on praising these products, thereby ensnaring new unsuspecting consumers into purchasing them.
I guess some folks have to learn the hard way by plunking down their hard earned cash before they can see that the king's new clothes are not a worthy fabric.
Interesting perspective.

Prior to using the Hydrolast a/s combo, the only a/s products that I had ever used were Brut, Gillette gel, and Nivea. Compared to those three, the Hydrolast was superb.

As Andrew mentions, I'm sure that skin types and season of the year can and do also play a fairly large role in how good or bad a product performs for each individual.

Well Ron, I guess I'll have to disagree. I've used both the Proraso Pre/Post and CAR's ASB. Both work really well, but if you check my SOTD's, I usually use the CAR. I find that a little does go a long well, much like a little Proraso goes a long way. Now I don't claim to know what is in the CAR ASB, but I do know for me that it does the job well (stops razor burn and lightly moisturizes). And yes, the CAR does cost significantly more than the Proraso, but I am willing to pay a little extra for this product. As always, one man's treasure is another man's poison. I'll tell you what though, just for you I'll use the Proraso Pre/Post today :wink: .

Kyle said:
As Andrew mentions, I'm sure that skin types and season of the year can and do also play a fairly large role in how good or bad a product performs for each individual.

I just started a sticky on exactly this issue over in the Skin, Body & Hair Care forum--feel free to let us know how you change your routine and/or products when the weather gets warm.

I'm rather "with ya" on this one, Kyle.

I get much more enjoyment and quality results from a few other A/S balms that I use regularly.

In fact, just this morning I was going to go with a "Method Shave" and I ditched it all in favor of my "usual rotation" of:

Momma Bear Rosemary Mint Soap
PFB Vanish
Em's Cucumber A/S splash
D.R. Harris A/S Milk

Other than the soap changing virutally every day. I find that I get stellar, smooth and near-perfect results every time with the above formula. My face is soft and conditioned ALL DAY! :tongue_sm

I may swap out the D.R. Harris for Proraso Liquid Cream, Musgo A/S Balm, or even C&E A/S Balm (all three are excellent).

I still think the CAR stuff is decent - but I won't buy any more. Not so much for the results as the pricing (not to mention some of the business practices that I've heard about from them). Just my opinion(s).

rschul2 said:
Well Ron, I guess I'll have to disagree. I've used both the Proraso Pre/Post and CAR's ASB. Both work really well, but if you check my SOTD's, I usually use the CAR. I find that a little does go a long well, much like a little Proraso goes a long way. Now I don't claim to know what is in the CAR ASB, but I do know for me that it does the job well (stops razor burn and lightly moisturizes). And yes, the CAR does cost significantly more than the Proraso, but I am willing to pay a little extra for this product. As always, one man's treasure is another man's poison. I'll tell you what though, just for you I'll use the Proraso Pre/Post today :wink: .
Randy,
If I recall correctly I have NOT seen you posting about the ALL 10's CAR Products... I think Howard and I are pretty much in agreement on those products.
Now, I have several different reference balms that I use. Reference refering to moisturzing, absorption, and fragrance too. I have my T&H's, my C&E's, my C&Ms, my Prorasso, my Ahava, my Musgo, my L'Occitane, etc, etc.. I also have one CAR Peppermint, the absolute rave (NOT).:bored:
If I recall the small difference in price between the Hydrolast and Prorasso is something like two or three or four to one? And it is no more efficacious than the others..

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It took me a long time to fully appreciate the Proraso pre/post. The scent can be off putting, and it's tough to apply consistently. I thought it wouldn't see much action until winter, when its moisturizing is needed most.

Now I find I'm using it a lot, despite the heatwave. This seems counterintuitive to me, since the last thing I need in the hot weather is any moisturizer at all. I apply it solely to my neck, and find it very soothing and cooling.

ouch said:
It took me a long time to fully appreciate the Proraso pre/post. The scent can be off putting, and it's tough to apply consistently. I thought it wouldn't see much action until winter, when its moisturizing is needed most.

Now I find I'm using it a lot, despite the heatwave. This seems counterintuitive to me, since the last thing I need in the hot weather is any moisturizer at all. I apply it solely to my neck, and find it very soothing and cooling.
This is exactly how I feel.

And no, Ron, I've never used any CAR product except for the ASB, but as I've said before it really works well for me. Most importantly the girlfriend likes the lime/green tea scent, but unfortunately, she is not a big fan of the proraso scent.

One thing we all need to remember here. We find and use what works best for us as individuals. It's all experience and personal opinion. Nothing else. What works for one may or may not work for another. I've got a sample of CAR's A/S Peppermint (thanks to Andrew) and enjoy it. I haven't used it exensively, but I find it provides a nice end to the shave.

It's all about shaving. And having fun. And emptying bank accounts.

Randy

The only product I am familiar with is the balm. I have never attempted Method shaving nor am I interested in this process. I enjoy the balm in the fall and winter. I find that Harris Milk is comparable but it is also an expensive buy.

As Randy stated, what works for one wetshaver does not necessarily work for another. I would suggest that wetshavers buy what they like regardless of price.

Ron, I don't think I hype it at all. I did not miss your point. I just give my opinion. Still have a bone to pick with CAR? :001_rolle

Austin said:
Ron, I don't think I hype it at all. I did not miss your point. I just give my opinion. Still have a bone to pick with CAR? :001_rolle
Ah ha! Sensitive aren't we? That comment, while not addressed to you, still applies. No bone to pick with CAR other than I hate to see businesses take advantage of the ignorance of their customers.

Not sensitive at all. The way I see it CAR will continue doing business because he's a good marketer. People will continue buying from him. I think we all are intelligent and won't prescribe to his method because he says it's the only way to shave. :biggrin:

Austin said:
Not sensitive at all. The way I see it CAR will continue doing business because he's a good marketer. People will continue buying from him. I think we all are intelligent and won't prescribe to his method because he says it's the only way to shave. :biggrin:

I think that guy has seen the movie "Highlander " too many a time.

" There can only be One "

:tongue: :tongue:

Sorry to interrupt the talk about the method products but I picked up some proraso preshave cream at Target. Is there a difference between this product and the pre-post cream you guys often mention, or is it just another use for the preshave cream?

Thanks

jbasl said:
Sorry to interrupt the talk about the method products but I picked up some proraso preshave cream at Target. Is there a difference between this product and the pre-post cream you guys often mention, or is it just another use for the preshave cream?

Thanks

It's the same thing as the peshave cream. It is just packaged differently.

Top Bottom