What's new

Favorite vintage safety razors?

For the last year or so I would have said the Slim is the finest safety razor ever produced...and last week I picked up a random Old Type (20's ball type) at a local antique store and got the closest shave I've ever gotten from a non straight. I'm not sure why the heck they ever tinkered with the exposure or blade angle, the Old Type is the closest shave I've ever had when not using a straight.

My favorite vintage DE of all time is the pre-war (1930's) Belgian Lie Bel. Looks amazing and not many I've tried shaves as well as it does. I have to keep it put away otherwise I would never use any of my other razors :sad:

proxy.php

With so many to choose from it's hard to for me to pick just one. The LC New or a tech would make me happy.

The Slim adjustable is also good for me.

Fat-handled Tech -- Great vintage razor to start DE shaving with. Very mild and forgiving but competent. I have my grandfather's that passed to me through my dad.

'58 TV Special -- I don't know why, I'm just fond of this razor.

British HD500 Rocket -- No frills but outstanding TTO razor. Efficient shaving tool.

British #58 -- same head geometry as the HD500, but more stylish. Great razor. Maybe slightly better handle feel and balance for me than the HD500.

British #21 -- In my opinion the high-water mark of Gillette razors. The best of all TTOs as far as I'm concerned. Slightly less mass than the #16, but I find it to be more efficient.

British #77/88 2-piece LC NEW -- Pivotal razor for me. The first OC I used that I liked. Use of TTOs dropped way off (to less than 5-10%) after my first shave with a #77/88

British Regent, all brass, ball-end, LC NEW -- I've use this razor at least 6 out of 7 days -- sometimes 19 out of 20 -- since first use. Picked mine up for about $12. I still think it's an ugly handle, but it just works for me. Perfect length, perfect balance, perfect range of angles, incredibly maneuverable, great feedback.

All of the above are Gillettes. I also have a couple of pre-WWII Rotbart OCs I enjoy and stir in occasionally.

I have this Regent on the way, and I hope that I enjoy it as much as you seem to enjoy yours.
$British Regent LC.JPG

My favorites are (in order):

1934 Aristocrat (TTO OC) - I get a BBS every time. This is the smoothest razor I have and it is like getting a BBS from a piece of velvet. Tends to run to the pricey side.

NEW Long Comb with Common Bar handle - Almost as smooth a shave as the Aristocrat but travels easier. This in my travel razor of choice. It is also far less expensive (on average) than the Aristocrat.

1912 Damaskeene - SE razors are just easy to get a comfortable and close shave with. The Damaskeene version costs a bit more, but the non-Damaskeene version is very affordable and shaves just as well.

The above are the razors I keep loaded all the time. Others I have and like are (I sold off what I did not like):

1937 Sheraton/1938 Senator (both TTO OC) - similar result to the Aristocrat but not as smooth. Can run a bit to the pricey side.

NEW Short Comb with Common Bar handle - similar to the NEW LC, but not as smooth. Quite affordable.

Pre War Fat Handled Tech - surprisingly good shave for such a mild razor. Quite affordable.

Red Tip SuperSpeed - the most aggressive of the, generally, mild SuperSpeed line. Good shave, reasonably comfortable, moderately priced.

Old Type - OTs provide a great shave, but I prefer them with a heavier handle. In their native state, they are low to moderately priced. I paired mine with an ATT Titan handle (now Kronos).

ATT R2 (OC) - not vintage and in the mail. No opinion, but I can't wait to try it out. Pricey.

Notes on razors that have come and gone:

Fatboy - shaves fine on 7, but I am meh on these. In good shape these tend to be pricey. If you look, you can find them for moderate prices, particularly if you are willing to clean them.

Slim - I hate these on any setting. This is just me as they are quite popular and well-loved. Moderately priced.

SuperSpeed - (non Red Tip) - too mild for my taste. Many love these and they are my favorite razor to give a newbie to start out, particularly the 1940s style. Low to moderately priced.

1940-1951 Aristocrat - too mild for my taste. Like the TTO OC razors, they are adjustable, but I find it easier to get the shave I like with the TTO OC razors, particularly the Aristocrat. Moderately priced unless in great shape, then they can get pricey.

I have found a 58 TV Special and a 40's (no date code) fat-handled Tech. Both are very nice but the handle is a bit short for my taste. Based on Chief Broom's observations, I bid on two British 88's, both marketed to the French market, but I was outbid on both. Today's went for almost $150. I did manage to nail a Fatboy from my birth year, but it cost me $100. The Regent is what I will be watching for. There are some Gillette Presidents out there - anybody have experience with these?

My favorite vintage DE of all time is the pre-war (1930's) Belgian Lie Bel. Looks amazing and not many I've tried shaves as well as it does. I have to keep it put away otherwise I would never use any of my other razors :sad:

proxy.php

Gorgous razor - I will keep an eye out for one of these.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Gillette NEW long comb or short comb, simple, durable, affordable and no stamped parts. I own Gillette TTOs but prefer the NEWs, easier to keep clean. Mike

Top Bottom