What's new

Fly Fishermen check in!

I try to fly fish Here in Montana, but the problem is the rivers are all bad, muddy, too low and no fish, yep Montana fishing is really really bad. Oh and the land is on the ugly side as well, no trees, no hills no wild life. so no fish and nothing to see here. And if it wasn't for work, and pending shoulder surgery, I would be out there right now. floating the Missouri or wading North Fork, Blackfoot or Clark Fork.
Is it any wonder that some folks won't place their full trust in what fishermen tell them? :blink: My heart goes out to you as you suffer there. Perhaps better days lie ahead. I propose we start a fund to help Classless flee the wasteland. I'll kick things off with a donation of $.02. Who's got a plugged nickel?

A friend invited me to join him and his son and another friend on an Alaska river float/camp trip! The four of us will spend thirteen days floating (rafts) on the Kisaralik River fishing and camping.
I don't have flies for Alaska, so I've started tying flies for the trip; fortunately, I have until August to fill my fly boxes.
$image.jpg
$image.jpg
August can't come soon enough!

Last edited:
Beads, flesh-flies, and streamers are most effective here. Some opportunities for nymphs and wet flies exist though. I still enjoy tying "traditional" sorts of flies (wet/nymph/dry), and getting creative with steelhead flies and such.

Quick update from this past fall, had to shake off a smaller hen to get a cast in at this bull before he split. Paid off with an epic take down of my crease fly and the ensuing fight was full of acrobatics before he went deep and I had to horse him up.

$P9100437.jpg

A friend invited me to join him and his son and another friend on an Alaska river float/camp trip! The four of us will spend thirteen days floating (rafts) on the Kisaralik River fishing and camping.
I don't have flies for Alaska, so I've started tying flies for the trip; fortunately, I have until August to fill my fly boxes.
View attachment 543099
View attachment 543101
August can't come soon enough!
That weighted one will be a chore to chuck.lol. Really nice job tying. The first ones are popsicles I think.

I fish the Skeena river system (northern BC) for all species of salmon as well as steelhead. All but one rod is a two hander. Largest landed is a 25lb chum salmon with a 14' 9wt Loop yellow.

Just relocated from TX up to Steelhead country. Excited to get back in the freshwater game after a few years doing mainly saltwater. I heard you can even get walleye on the fly during certain times of the year when they come into the shallows on lake Erie.

Looking to join the ranks...fly fishing seems like the straight razor to the safety razor of spin fishing. I was thinking of picking up a Wright & McGill 5# combo. My parents have a lake up the street from their house, and I used to catch perch there all the time as a teenager. I took my son there last weekend with an ultralight setup and lures, but we didn't fare too well. For some reason I got it in my head that tying flies and learning to fly fish would be a fun skill to add.

I fished and tied flies a little growing up just outside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee, then stopped after high school. I'm now in my mid-30's and have finally settled in Oregon. My fiancee and I took up fishing last year. She loves it, so hopefully we'll get out a lot this year.

-Andy

Checking in from Des Moines IA,

Fish for trout in the NE "Driftless" part of the state. Smallmouth and other warm water species in the Central part,

Looking to join the ranks...fly fishing seems like the straight razor to the safety razor of spin fishing. I was thinking of picking up a Wright & McGill 5# combo. My parents have a lake up the street from their house, and I used to catch perch there all the time as a teenager. I took my son there last weekend with an ultralight setup and lures, but we didn't fare too well. For some reason I got it in my head that tying flies and learning to fly fish would be a fun skill to add.

Spin fishing is more like a 7 Blade Fusion. :laugh:

I have fished all my life but never fly fished before. I just bought my first fly rod at Cabelas last weekend. Me and a friend are going to Arkansas this spring to fish the White River. His dad works for Dept. of Wildlife doing education and is a guide as well. I have a feeling that after this first trip there are going to be many more to follow.

im your huckleberry, Love the dry fly action on the small mountain streams of NM, however cant wait till the ice breaks on spiney lake in CO. Got a new kayak just for that lake.

proxy.php

Just got this Tenkara setup. Can't wait to try it out. Got a short trip planned to NM at the end of this week mainly for hiking but I may try this out as well.

Top Bottom