So, I just finished my 2nd DE shave (I only shave every 1.5 weeks or so). This time was zero nicks/burn but the closeness is not even across my face.
I have been applying pre-shave oil after washing my face in the shower and leaving it on for the rest of the shower until I shave. That is about all the prep I do.
I would now like to start using a hot towel and find that I have several questions. In the FAQ and other sources I find it simply mentions 'hot-towel' without giving any other information on it. Knowing the little I do about wet shaving make be think it can't be that simple at all.
So, here are my questions:
- What kind of towels do you buy for this (fabric, size, shape, etc). Does it matter?
- How do you get the towels hot? I know, it may seem obvious, but do you just dunk the towel in hot water (how hot?), do you stream them or what?
- I read that people but the towel on top of the lather. I guess this means you only get 1 use out of a towel before having to laundry it. I do laundry about as often as I shave so it could mean having to buy lots of these towels.
- When I splurge and go to my local barber for a straight razor shave, he finishes me off with an ice cold towel. Do the fine gentlemen here find that it is worth the extra effort? If so, do you just keep some in the fridge/freezer?
- You put the before-shave hot towel on top of your lather (according to the one prep-guide I read). If you use a post-shave towel do you put it on top of anything (alum, asb, asc, splash, etc.).
Thanks for any pointers and advice everyone,