What's new

First Brush Choice: Help Me Select a Finalist

I'm new to DE shaving.
I've bought shave cream, a huge blade sampler pack, and am awaiting arrival of a Gillette Adjustable (1970's black handle, not sure what they are called) . All I need is a brush.

I’ve been reading over numerous brush posts, looking over numerous merchant sites, and I cannot really decide on a product. Some input would be useful.

My face (and head) is small. My whiskers are very mild, not full, could never dream of growing even a sparse beard or mustache (it would take 3-4 times the thickness of my whiskers to have a filled in beard or mustache…and I have virtually no sideburn whiskers to speak of). Essentially mild whiskers on my upper lip and chin with a few wild ones elsewhere.

I’ll mostly be using creams (currently purchased Taylor’s Avocado) and lathering in a bowl. I want a brush that expedites lathering as I’m often rushed in the mornings and can’t take 5 minutes to generate lather. I may also do palm lathering on occasion.
My skin can be sensitive i.e. I get razor burn and soreness with repeated razor strokes (from a Sensor. I just ordered my 1st DE razor). I’m a painter and currently I’m using an artist’s badger blending brush with the Taylor’s until I buy a shave brush.
I’m thinking because of my very small face size and small shaving area a smaller brush would work better (I assume I do not need a ton of lather in the bowl). I’d like a brush that is comfy on the face (I do not know if a brush would irritate me, but why force that issue?). I’d like good quality insofar as it is well made of good materials and will not be a disappointment to own and use.

I am not a fan of ‘ye olde school’ design for most things (there are exceptions) but for my hygiene and grooming stuff if available I prefer modern design, the sleeker and more contemporary the better. I’d prefer a black handled brush over white.

My budget is around $50-$75 new or used. I do not want to go too overboard nor do I want something that I’ll have an urge to replace anytime soon. This could be an item I’ll keep for quite some time, I barely have room for the other shaving stuff in my bathroom (shared) and none whatsoever for a ‘collection’. Would like to have something that I am proud to own and that is a joy to use.

One area which still eludes me is KNOT SIZE. Most of these smaller brushes are around 23mm, but I’ve been reading many recommendations to other shavers for an even smaller knot, in 20mm – 22mm range, but I don’t see that many brushes manufactured in that size. Would a smaller knot serve me better? I also see that Shavemac has a reasonably priced custom service (and you can order a smaller knot size) and many here are very pleased with this service. Btw, I live in NYC but will likely order online.

I’ve narrowed my choices a bit but I’m open to other suggestions.

The choices are:

Rooney Style 3 Size 1 (Small) - "Super" $75

Vulfix No. 2234 Super Badger - $55

Shavemac 429, Handmade, Finest Badger ( or 501 Finest Badger) - both are $79

What's the differences between the Shavemac 429 & 501?

From what I’ve gathered, all of the three brushes listed above are of respected quality and more or less in the same class. Unfortunately I’m not able to hold the brushes in my hand. Many say the Vulfix brushes are too floppy for them.

Another thing is the fan vs. bulb design. Anything I should take into consideration based on my preferences?

To those that have the experience, can you please describe what the differences between these brushes’ performance are and how that translates into a strength or weakness for the brush…in your opinion, of course. I’m trying to get a better grasp on which will suit me best. True, being a rank beginner it’s speculation about what qualities I’ll be drawn to in daily usage. In the end I’m certain I’ll be pleased with any of the brushes, however I’m trying to bias my decision slightly towards a brush I may prefer vs. randomly picking one.

Thanks a bunch guys.

Neal

M-P and EJ are too thinly packed for my taste, but it's completely personal.

The lofts on Shavemacs tend to be too long for my taste, and on the smaller models where the loft is the right size (18mm knots) they're too thin as well.

The sweet spot for me is the Rooney small line (22mm, but a nice short loft). I would recommend the Silvertip (classicshaving, $65) if you're on a budget, and the Super (vintageblades, $75) if you're not. Only difference being a slight whiter tip to the Super.

Best of luck.

J

Thanks for the ideas and the welcome.

The lofts on Shavemacs tend to be too long for my taste, and on the smaller models where the loft is the right size (18mm knots) they're too thin as well.

I'm curious: how does loft length effect a brushes performance?
For ex., how does the Shavemac's length prevent it from achieving the results that the Rooney delivers on (in your opinion of course)? Also, are you referring to the Rooney Model #3, Small...the various Rooney styles in size Small each feature a different loft length: model #1=48mm, #2=60mm, #3=55mm].

Up until a week ago I was using foam in a can!

Now I'm spec'ing hair attributes.

Btw, I enjoy the pursuit of the 'right' brush. True, I do not yet own a shaving brush, but I have dozens if not hundreds of paint brushes. It's a pleasure to wield a finely made paint brush with quality hair. OTOH it's a PITA in painting to use a brush that doesn't have the degree spring and performance one desires and relentlessly sheds its hair into the wet painting.

Thanks for the ideas and the welcome.

I'm curious: how does loft length effect a brushes performance?
For ex., how does the Shavemac's length prevent it from achieving the results that the Rooney delivers on (in your opinion of course)? Also, are you referring to the Rooney Model #3, Small...the various Rooney styles in size Small each feature a different loft length: model #1=48mm, #2=60mm, #3=55mm].

Up until a week ago I was using foam in a can!

Now I'm spec'ing hair attributes.

Btw, I enjoy the pursuit of the 'right' brush. True, I do not yet own a shaving brush, but I have dozens if not hundreds of paint brushes. It's a pleasure to wield a finely made paint brush with quality hair. OTOH it's a PITA in painting to use a brush that doesn't have the degree spring and performance one desires and relentlessly sheds its hair into the wet painting.

Loft, in addition to brush density, knot size and hair quality can alter the way the brush performs with different media. One brush might generate a lather from a soap quicker than the rest, but is too dense or "scritchy" for you personally.

My recommendation is one of the following according to your original post:

Rooney Small Super line(style 1 or 3; they come in ebony/black) $75
Shavemac 429/501 $79

I would also recommend a Savile Row 3318, but I'm not sure if Charles at QED still has any in black.

$49

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Loft, in addition to brush density, knot size and hair quality can alter the way the brush performs with different media. One brush might generate a lather from a soap quicker than the rest, but is too dense or "scritchy" for you personally.

Robert, can you elaborate a bit? When someone says the Shavemac has too much loft, does that mean it will work less well with soaps?

About the clear handled brush: it fits my budget better. Can you provide some more info (size, manufacturer, where to buy)?

Thanks guys.

I own a Shavemac 501 with finest badger hair. I ordered it over the 429 for the handle design only, I think that is their only difference. I also own a Rooney style 3 size1. Both brushes are high quality with the Rooney being more dense and slightly smaller(22m compared to 23mm). I find that I prefer the Shavemac for its density, backbone, and latherability. I don't find the loft too high, and I find the light bulb shape easier to control.

Robert, can you elaborate a bit? When someone says the Shavemac has too much loft, does that mean it will work less well with soaps?

About the clear handled brush: it fits my budget better. Can you provide some more info (size, manufacturer, where to buy)?

Thanks guys.

I have a Shavemac and it works really well with soaps. Honestly any of the brushes will work. I personally think that the brushes I mentioned before will work out the best overall. The vulfix will work, but it is no comparison to a rooney or shavemac. I would keep an eye out for the B&B essential brush (the clear handled brush) but since you can't buy it yet, I don't want to recommend something you cannot buy.

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful.

I've been delaying and stressing the brush purchase because of (to me) the large expense.

Fortune smiled on my pesky whiskers today! Another Badger & Blade member, daniel.boone [Albert], has taken me under his wing and is sending me a kit of beginning shaving items that he no longer uses: brush, mug, razor, blade samples, and prep/post shave samples.

This is the perfect solution. I will be able to learn DE shaving and also understand first hand how a brush works and what qualities, if any, I desire in a new brush. Plus, when I get a new brush I'll be able to return the favor and pass the brush on to another beginning shaver.

I'm sure I'll have more brush questions in the future. First, I need to get some shaving time under my belt.

Neal

Neal, good to hear that you have a decent starter kit, there is nothing like practice to learn and refine your preferences. As for your initial post, there are many, experienced wet shavers that use the 3 types of brushes you are considering. I think you would do better with either the Rooney, or Shavemac vs Vulfix, unless you really like soft brushes (and don't plan to use soaps). I have all 3, and would recommend for your 1st, and possibly only, brush, you go with the Rooney Super. It is a really good balance of cost / quality and offers good density, softness and resiliency in the bristle. This is really a premium brush, and, if you never buy another one, you will be happy with it for years.

Don't be afraid of getting a brush with a small knot size. The Rooney 3,1 is 22 mm, which I personally would not consider "really small".

BTW - spend enough time on this, or the other wetshaving forums, and you can bet this will NOT be your only brush. :001_rolle

Best ... Steve

I got a Vulfix 2234 as a Christmas gift. I like it, but it loses 1-2 hairs (generally 1) every time I use it :mad:.

-Ray

Top Bottom