What's new

The End of a Journey?

For the last 6 months or so I have been obsessed with the quest for the perfect shave. After about a month I started getting excellent shaves but was never content. I have spent hundreds of dollars on various imported creams, soaps, razors, and blades. Now, after countless months of extensive experimentation I have made some conclusions.

First is that technique is king. I can finally get a perfect irritation free BBS shave with just about any cream or soap. The reason is that I have figured out how many and what type of passes my face needs. I also learned to shave slowly and use very little pressure. The result is the elusive "perfect shave".

Second is that most high-end products on this site are overhyped and overpriced. I have tried out several creams from AOS, TOBS, Trumpers, T&H, and C&E and none outperform Proraso. These higher-end brands merely have a superior scent and packaging. Shaving soap is probably the only product that I have actually found purchasing a higher tier brand produces a superior shave (AOS and Mama Bear for me). Likewise after trying numerous razors I have gone back the original cheapo Merkur Classic as it consistently gives me the best shaves.

Third is that "modern" or "common" products are pretty good. Before I got into this DE obsession I used a Mach 3. It gave me very good shaves as long as I shaved every other day. Otherwise it would really irritate my neck. Now I use my Mach 3 with Proraso (brush or brushless) whenever I travel or if I'm in a hurry in the mornings. My shave is almost as close, feels BBS and I get zero irritation. Not to mention I can shave with a Mach 3 in about 2 minutes (vs. 10 minutes with a DE and brush). It really all comes down to technique. After trying out a lot of pricier aftershaves (Proraso, Skin Food, T&H) I keep reaching for my $6 bottle of Nivea Sensitive balm. Also I bought some Aqua Velva Ice Sport splash and find it better than most higher end splashes.

After filling up most of my washroom space with shaving supplies, my every day modest shaving kit consists of:

Merkur Classic with Derby blade or Mach 3
Super Badger Brush
Proraso Cream or Art of Shaving Sandalwood Soap
Nivea Sensitive Balm or Aqua Velva Ice Sport Splash

It's funny how much money I spent in vain on different items when the first decent products I had are what I've ended up going back to. I remember reading that the author of the shaveblog website went through the same progression. Of course that's how life works and there are no absolutely regrets. I suppose one could take a lesson from this that in the end buying all sorts of expensive toys doesn't really make your life any easier or better (not that it's going to stop any of us).

I must admit, buying all those overpriced creams and other items was really a lot of fun. Realistically, for the price of a single night of drinking out one can buy quite a lot of "overpriced" top tier shaving stuff. Better for ones health too!

Now I feel I've met my original goal of obtaining a consistent shave of the highest quality. It's time to stop buying shaving supplies, and reading shaving message boards. The thirst for knowledge is over as I've drank from the shaving fountain. It's now time for me to work on all the other goals that are on my list. Who knows maybe someday I will come back to this.

I just wanted to thank everyone who contributes to this message board as well as the owners. This online community has been by far the most helpful and overall best that I've encountered online. My journey may be over for now but I will remember the good times and everyone here fondly.

Goodnight everyone,

Paul

Paul,

I'm happy to hear that your 'journey' has come to an end. Yes, now that your technique has been perfected, it really does not matter which cream,soap, or razor that you use, you will end up with a great shave.

This is why many of us tell new wetshavers to work on their technique-if they have been perusing the boards for info, they will come to realize that only 2 things are really needed-practice(familiarization time) and equipment that you are comfortable with!

Once those two goals have been met, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!:wink:

why do I say this in this instance rather than in it's normally scheduled place? It's because what really cannot be prevented is the acquisition of skill and knowledge when consistent time and effort are put into wetshaving.

Al;though you may have purchased many creams that you feel are over-hyped, for many of us, the variety is the thing. Sure, i could shave the rest of my life using only HBS bay rum shave soap,Dorko blades, and my Merkur HD and end up with wonderful shaves. But for me, nothing beats having time on my hands to pamper myself with a luxurious shave consisting of my Gillette Aristocrat loaded with a Derby blade, B&B 2006 Finest Silvertip in Faux Horn, AOS Lemon Shave Cream followed with an alum block,Thayer's Lemon Witch Hazel, Aqua Velva Ice Balm, and GFT Limes Skin Food. At other times during the week when time is at a premium, different equipment and items are used.

On my next luxury shave, I may(will!) use different set-ups to increase my knowledge of which ingredients in my shave den work best when paired together for my face-for me, the journey has not ended, in fact there is no end in sight!

So best wishes my friend and good shaves to you for life-we will be here if and when you come back.

Marty

Really? Didn't you hear about the B&B Essential brush coming out soon? Should work nicely with that soap you use. :biggrin:

You're probably too young to remember the show with David Carradine, "Kung Fu"...but if you have a reference to it, may I simply say:

"Ah, dear Grasshoppah...welcome back!"

My experience is similar.

The Merkur Classic is my favorite as well. Nearly all the other razors I tried were no better and most were inferior. I would say the Gillette Red Tip is a more efficient shaver by a small degree, but the Merkur is more maneuverable on the lips and chin so the benefit is a wash.

I'll be frank with high end creams - most stink. Either they perform worse than then the cheaper benchmarks, Musgo and Proraso, or they literally stink :9898:! Taylor's Rose is the only pricey cream I felt to be worth its asking price.

I will part company on the cartridge razor aspect though. No cartridge produced since 1980 is worth spit as far as I'm concerned. The Trac II is a fine razor, but making the head pivot, adding sticky strips, inverting the handle and upping the blade count has only degraded its performance.

adrox,

I glad that you have reached your goal. Although I've only been coming to this forum for about three months now, I agree with much that you say.

You do need only one razor once you find which one works the best for you. Some folks are collectors and some just like variety. There's nothing wrong with that. But, you only need one razor. I keep going back to my '53 SS with a Dorco blade.

The same goes for brushes. Well, maybe two brushes, one for soaps and one for creams. They needn't be expensive either. Even my cheap boar brush performs well with my soaps. I'm satisfied with the performance of my C&E BBB using creams.

Soaps and creams, I haven't tried any of the old expensive brands. Maybe one day I will, just to see what they're like. One of the mods here suggested I buy some soap from one of the member/makers here. They're a little more expensive than what I can get at the little grocery in town, but help me get a better shave. Not as expensive as those old line brands either.

Although I don't need an aftershave, I sometimes splash on Clubman because I like the old-time barber shop smell.

Yes, adrox, there is a difference between what is necessary and what some folks prefer. Some people like to experiment, some enjoy variety, and some collect.

I wish you well, my friend.

-Clarke

I am going to listen and listen well to this message.

MUST....STOP....BUYING... seriously.

I think the advice is sound: its so easy to be seduced by a new idea, and the trappings that go with it...I am very guilty of diving in too deep with a new hobby. I am trying to be calm and hold off an over the top purchases.

I recall a freind in the 80s who was a bike racer. We'd go to races and he'd line up against guys on the latest high-tech bikes, and he'd be there on a butt-ugly old Mexican Windsor (a knock-off of a euro bike) and guys would laugh...until he kicked their butts by two laps.

its not the gear, its how you use it... I am trying to focus more on technique right now, but I DO admit that the various scents are wonderful...and I enjy mixing it up.

i see a day when, like adrox, the journey to find the pieces of equipment and soaps ends with the perfect combination, but I am sitting back and enjoying the trip.

:)

Barry

Don't Stop Believin'.

I had to. I can't even read the word "Journey" without thinking of that song.

Take Care.

Don't feel any need to pay it forward huh? I can't help noticing you don't have a single post in the shave clinic.

I got to a stabalized set up a few months ago, but I figure I owe something to this site for getting me there. Because of this I figured I should stick around at least a few months to share what I learned with the newbies. I figure in another month or two I will have given as much advice as I received, then I can take B&B off my "bookmarks" list. Until then I'm going to keep checking the shave clinic looking for newbies who are complaining because they've tried a different product every day for the first two weeks of wet-shaving and can't understand why their not getting a consistent shave, and I'm going to keep telling them, "technique technique technique."

I'm a bit sorry you don't look at it the same way, to each his own I guess.

Top Bottom