What's new

Is this a good selection for beginner?

I was looking at getting started at shaving with a Straight Razor, and have been lerking these forums for a few weeks, and i have made up a list of things i was looking at buying. Does anything on this list look wrong or maybe a better suggestion? Also from reading the forum i got the impression i wouldn't need a hone for a while so was thinking about ordering a pasted paddle maybe in a few weeks, is that right? Is there anything else i should buy to get started, i am kinda excited at the prospect of trying something diffrent in the morning, i currently use a hot towel and just shave with a cartridge razor, so will be interesting taking it a step further :p

• Razor: Dovo Straight Razor Ebony Handle Carbon Steel Blade 5/8
  • Simco Razor Strop * Cowhide/canvas 1-3/4" X 20"
  • The Art of Shaving Shaving Brush, Pure Badger, Ivory #3
  • Colonel Conk Famous Almond Shave Soap

* Razor: Dovo Straight Razor Ebony Handle Carbon Steel Blade 5/8
I have one and love it - one of my best shavers!

* Simco Razor Strop * Cowhide/canvas 1-3/4" X 20"
Never heard of it so I can't comment....many many guys around here use strops from Tony Miller at thewellshavedgentleman.com

* The Art of Shaving Shaving Brush, Pure Badger, Ivory #3
I've never used one myself but have heard that quite a few guys here have and they really like them

* Colonel Conk Famous Almond Shave Soap
Again, I've never used but I've heard good things....

Looks to me like you're off to a good start. See how that strop works out for you and if you have problems contact Tony and pick one up from him! Happy shaving!

* Razor: Dovo Straight Razor Ebony Handle Carbon Steel Blade 5/8
I have one and love it - one of my best shavers!

* Simco Razor Strop * Cowhide/canvas 1-3/4" X 20"
Never heard of it so I can't comment....many many guys around here use strops from Tony Miller at thewellshavedgentleman.com

* The Art of Shaving Shaving Brush, Pure Badger, Ivory #3
I've never used one myself but have heard that quite a few guys here have and they really like them

* Colonel Conk Famous Almond Shave Soap
Again, I've never used but I've heard good things....

Looks to me like you're off to a good start. See how that strop works out for you and if you have problems contact Tony and pick one up from him! Happy shaving!

Hey cool thanks, how long do you think before i will need to give the razor a hone?

Hey cool thanks, how long do you think before i will need to give the razor a hone?

It'll need it. I have the same razor, I just started as well. I'm planning on trying to hone it this weekend. Right now its cuts if I do a fair bit of stropping but it isn't close at all. Running my hand ATG after I was done felt like sandpaper

3 passes today and still wasn't that smooth. That could be partly because I'm new to all this, but I think the blade is also far too dull

I have that same soap as well. I like it so far, but I don't really have much to compare it to just yet. However, I haven't struggled with building a lather like I hear so many talk about which is a good thing.

If it hasn't been honed yet (unless specifically stated that it has been honed and is shave-ready, it hasn't been honed), immediately, before using it at all.

I would get it honed when you get it regardless if it says its shave ready a number of members here are honing experts and can guide you to the path of the greatest shaves of your life.

Check with the merchant before you buy the razor. Most offer a honing service. If not, there are several persons on this forum who offer excellent honing services for a very reasonable fee.

• Razor: Dovo Straight Razor Ebony Handle Carbon Steel Blade 5/8
  • Simco Razor Strop * Cowhide/canvas 1-3/4" X 20"
  • The Art of Shaving Shaving Brush, Pure Badger, Ivory #3
  • Colonel Conk Famous Almond Shave Soap

A good list.

I prefer a 6/8 blade (actually I'm starting to prefer 7/8 now) but you won't know that until you start. My first razor was a 5/8 Dovo. It's good but doesn't get much use anymore. TI Super Gnome is also a good starter (IMO a better shaver but a bit more $)

Second recommendation for a Tony Miller Strop.

I think you might be happier starting with a C&E BBB brush but AOS is fine.

Haven't tried the CC soap but they get good reviews. Institute Karite is EXCELLENT and pretty reasonably priced. If you stick with this, you'll have many soaps in a short period of time so I wouldn't sweat that but my rec would be for the IK.

You will want it to be honed by a honemeister but after that regular (maybe once a week?) pasted strop tuning should keep you good for several months.

Good luck and be sure to let us know what you decide to go with.

Ken

I have the AOS brush and really like it. But I think you can get the C&E BB brush for cheaper, and I'm sure you'd like it just as well.

Top Bottom