What's new

Parker51 or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Hood

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Nice write up! The P51 is the only vintage I will likely ever own as I'm more of a modern guy who has a heavy appreciation of history (with the exception of shaving, scotch, cars etc) :lol:

That said, if you are a FP collector, your collection is complete w/o at least one 51 if not more. I recently bought a teal fine nib and will likely be hunting the elusive plumb colored one in the future...you just can't beat the history, efficiency and durability of these. I wish they were still made today...
+ 1000 to the durability. This pen is 66 years old!!!

Glad you like the 51, Owen! They are especially great from Brian. I'm just jealous that you didn't have to pay for yours from him! :tongue_sm

I'm really glad that you won the PIF Owen. there is no conceivable way I could've written a review as wonderful as what I just read, congratulations!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Glad you like the 51, Owen! They are especially great from Brian. I'm just jealous that you didn't have to pay for yours from him! :tongue_sm
I would have paid for it- getting one from Brian you can be assured the pen is in good shape.

I'm really glad that you won the PIF Owen. there is no conceivable way I could've written a review as wonderful as what I just read, congratulations!
Thanks, but it came easy- this pen sells itself.

Congrats Owen! Heck, my 51 has a hairline crack in the barrel, and the nib is off center.... it's still one of my best writers!

In other news, if we can only make fun of things if they're broken... how broke must James be?

I tend not to review many pens as I have a HEAVY bias toward vintage.

A Classic review for a classic pen. Ru4scuba? said it... no collection is complete without a "51". be forewarned tho, they are like potato chips...... no one can have just one !!!!

I tend not to review many pens as I have a HEAVY bias toward vintage.

A Classic review for a classic pen. Ru4scuba? said it... no collection is complete without a "51". be forewarned tho, they are like potato chips...... no one can have just one !!!!

I believe Pringles said it best. "Once you pop, you can't stop."

nice write up owen! I love both my aero and vac p51. I had to force myself to flush and put them back in the pen box since so many of my other pens have been ignored because of it. Still the p51 are probably at the top of my fav pens too.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
nice write up owen! I love both my aero and vac p51. I had to force myself to flush and put them back in the pen box since so many of my other pens have been ignored because of it. Still the p51 are probably at the top of my fav pens too.

An aero will probably be my next, mainly because of the longevity of the filling system. I do, however, want to learn how to rebuild Vacs, and may start working on procurring the tools.

An aero will probably be my next, mainly because of the longevity of the filling system. I do, however, want to learn how to rebuild Vacs, and may start working on procurring the tools.

If you get one and want to try your hand at it, I have the tools I will loan you.

Tom

Not a bad skill to have, specially if you can make your way to a pen show. Brian was telling me of guys digging through this huge pen part table last year finding the pieces to really expensive pens, just bag loads of complete pens one part at a time they would get for under 50 bucks, and enough when put together and fixed to make for 100's of dollars worth of pens. If you can fix them you can buy them cheap amass quite a collection and even sell them off for a good chunk of change... not that i think about it, maybe i should give it a shot lol

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Not a bad skill to have, specially if you can make your way to a pen show. Brian was telling me of guys digging through this huge pen part table last year finding the pieces to really expensive pens, just bag loads of complete pens one part at a time they would get for under 50 bucks, and enough when put together and fixed to make for 100's of dollars worth of pens. If you can fix them you can buy them cheap amass quite a collection and even sell them off for a good chunk of change... not that i think about it, maybe i should give it a shot lol
I don't think I will sell. Fix them up to keep, or better yet, PIF. I got turned on to the world of vintage pens due to Brian's PIF, hopefully I can return the favor by getting someone else hooked.

I don't think I will sell. Fix them up to keep, or better yet, PIF. I got turned on to the world of vintage pens due to Brian's PIF, hopefully I can return the favor by getting someone else hooked.

Not too hard to do that with a "51"; good on you, Owen!

Top Bottom