What's new

Feather Artist Club Pass Around/Tour

I didn't look too hard, but a google search of 'kai captain razor case' turned up at least one place selling it, in the UK.

The package arrived yesterday. Haven't had a chance to use it yet due to holiday craziness. I should have at least one shave with it in by the end of the week

First shave this morning. I used the silver-handled one (the RG I think) and a feather pro blade as I wanted as much range in blade angle as possible. Took a little experimentation to find the best way to grip the handle. Despite that and despite using a new soap and brush (vdh luxury kit with the new boar brush), had a very nice shave. Effortlessly close. Not drastically sharper than my straights (honed on film up to 1micron), but there is a noticeable difference, especially under my chin and under my nose. I'll use it a few more times (hate to toss a blade after just one use) and maybe try the other handle. Also, I have a little irritation today but I think that's due to using a new aftershave balm rather than the splashes I usually use (I've noticed this pretty consistently with balms--they feel great for the first 5-30 minutes then it's as if I never used anything). Need to be sure it wasn't the razor.

Doubt I'll ever buy one of these as I'd rather get 3 or 4 vintage straights off the bay to restore and I don't see how it would make travel any easier other than not having to bring a strop (Still can't carry on the blades). Thanks for the opportunity to try them, I'd have always wondered.

Same razor and blade (rg and pro). Today used tabac and pinaud citrus musk. Very close shave and better post shave feel, confirming that it was the balm that was to blame, not the razor. As I said, I doubt I'll get one of these, but the feel is MUCH closer to a real straight than the Parker shavette that I have. I think due to the weight and the thickness of the handle. I'd say the feather is a much better option for someone who wants a straight razor experience without the honing and stropping.

What a great pass-around! I was a part of the Cobra Classic tour and would love to try these razors too. Please, add me to the list.

Member added.

Chaloney (shaving)
cpacamper
garyg
ACorazza
Silver
ElliotR
KW Driver
mvol
captaincaveman
ShaverGN

I used the Feather SS non-folding every morning this last week while traveling and enjoy it more than any other straight I've ever used. I will keep using my traditional straights as well (only because I don't want to spend much money on blades for the feathers) and use both the non-folding and folding SS's a couple of times a week. It would be nice if the Feather blades were as cheap as DE blades, then I would use these two razors exclusively.

I used the Feather SS non-folding every morning this last week while traveling and enjoy it more than any other straight I've ever used. I will keep using my traditional straights as well (only because I don't want to spend much money on blades for the feathers) and use both the non-folding and folding SS's a couple of times a week. It would be nice if the Feather blades were as cheap as DE blades, then I would use these two razors exclusively.

Very interesting. I also prefer the Feather SS versus the traditional straights. I think you get a great shave without the extra work. But blades are a little pricey. Thanks for the review.

Doesn't blade longevity make the price very comparable to DE blades?

I tend to get about 4-6 shaves out of the Feather straight blades at about $1 a blade. And on a DE blade I get about 3-5 shaves at about $0.15 - $0.20 a blade. So the Feather straight blades are a tad bit more. I'm not sure how many shaves other users are getting out of the Feather straight blades but I like to change my blade by at least the 6th shave.

I've used the same bade for about 8 shaves and haven't noticed any tugging or pulling and the shaves still feel as smooth as they did with a fresh blade. I'm going to keep using the same blade and see how long it lasts me.

Doesn't blade longevity make the price very comparable to DE blades?

For me it does, but blade choice and longevity are surely the determining factors. I prefer the Feather Professional blades that I have often found for about $13/20-pack - occasionally less - and I tend to get twice as many shaves out of the blades compared to Feather DE blades. YMMV depending on your beard and preferred SE and DE blades.

Last edited:
Thanks again to poonjaji for letting us pass these very nice razors around and try them out. I love using my non-folding ss daily and I would never have blind bought one of these razors if not for the pass around, so thanks I appreciate it!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Since Michael's generous pass-around is getting closer, I wondered if there was a definitive "ranking" of the sharpness of the various blades available? I.E., Professionals, then Guards, then ?

Since Michael's generous pass-around is getting closer, I wondered if there was a definitive "ranking" of the sharpness of the various blades available? I.E., Professionals, then Guards, then ?

My ranking is:
1. Professionals
2. Pro Guards
3. Pro Supers
4. Pro Lights

I have used all 4 and this is how I would rank them.

I haven't been a member quite long enough, but this is a great opportunity. Stuff like this is part of why I love B&B.

Top Bottom