What's new

Feather Artist Club Pass Around/Tour

When I had the razors, I will say, I far preferred the feather pro blades. Next would have been the captain blades. The guard blades were rough on me. Those little ridges seemed to scrape into my face and head when I was shaving.

However, I do have experience with regular straight razors, so I'm a bit more used to the mechanics of these razors, whereas someone who has only used DE or SE razors may not have the feel for it as well and might be more inclined to hurt themselves with the sharper/more aggressive pro blades.

When I had the razors, I will say, I far preferred the feather pro blades. Next would have been the captain blades. The guard blades were rough on me. Those little ridges seemed to scrape into my face and head when I was shaving.

However, I do have experience with regular straight razors, so I'm a bit more used to the mechanics of these razors, whereas someone who has only used DE or SE razors may not have the feel for it as well and might be more inclined to hurt themselves with the sharper/more aggressive pro blades.

This seems to be the consensus on the pro guard blades. I use a straight daily but still seems like this pro blades would be quite a bit sharper.

Honestly, they may be, but I don't think it feels like it. The shave isn't as tactile as it is with my full hollow straights. About the same as a wedge. To me, the shape makes the difference more so than how sharp the blade is. I used the razors and only had an issue with the pro blade being too sharp for the back of my head where I bleed no matter what I'm using. It just shaved off my scars easier than I do with a regular straight or DE.

Honestly, they may be, but I don't think it feels like it. The shave isn't as tactile as it is with my full hollow straights. About the same as a wedge. To me, the shape makes the difference more so than how sharp the blade is. I used the razors and only had an issue with the pro blade being too sharp for the back of my head where I bleed no matter what I'm using. It just shaved off my scars easier than I do with a regular straight or DE.

A head shave too huh? I'm really interested to try these head shaving. Which of the razors did you prefer for a head shave?

Gents, I apologize if it has been discussed before (I don't recall it), how do you rinse this razor *during* the shave? Under the tap, with warm water? Or do you use another method? I am not talking about the cleaning you do after finishing the shave, but the intermediate cleaning you do after each pass on the face.
Sorry if it looks like a stupid question, tomorrow (hopefully.. It depends on the postman) will be my first time trying one of these razors!

A head shave too huh? I'm really interested to try these head shaving. Which of the razors did you prefer for a head shave?

Yeah actually I preferred these to western style straights by far for my head. I liked the SS with the pro blade best with 2nd place being the same razor with the captain blade.

Gents, I apologize if it has been discussed before (I don't recall it), how do you rinse this razor *during* the shave? Under the tap, with warm water? Or do you use another method? I am not talking about the cleaning you do after finishing the shave, but the intermediate cleaning you do after each pass on the face.
Sorry if it looks like a stupid question, tomorrow (hopefully.. It depends on the postman) will be my first time trying one of these razors!

I rinsed under the tap. Really, like everything it will be what you feel most comfortable doing.

Ok last night's shave. I used the same handle with the captain blade. Same routine of a hot shower before but this time I used Tabac with a layer of Noxema under it. The overall shave was better, but I think that was more due to being more careful. The blade didn't glide like it had the night before. I will do it again tonight but I am going to use the MWF.

Yeah actually I preferred these to western style straights by far for my head. I liked the SS with the pro blade best with 2nd place being the same razor with the captain blade.

While I like using my traditional straight for head shaves it really, at least in my case, dulls the edge very fast. Which is why I'm looking forward to trying these.

While I like using my traditional straight for head shaves it really, at least in my case, dulls the edge very fast. Which is why I'm looking forward to trying these.

Yeah I still have a pretty full and thick head of hair, so it does a straight blade in pretty quickly. I have to strop at least once mid shave, but usually twice. I stopped using my straights on my head for that reason.

I just used the black handled SS with a pro guard blade and MWF. I love this razor more each time I use it. While I really liked the RG I think the SS works better for me. I was able to maneuver it a little easier and get a much better angle. This last shave I was able to complete without a single nick and very little irritation. These razors get so close you will have to shave less often. There is a bit of learning though. I thought I knew what no pressure meant until I put this to my face.

I just used the black handled SS with a pro guard blade and MWF. I love this razor more each time I use it. While I really liked the RG I think the SS works better for me. I was able to maneuver it a little easier and get a much better angle. This last shave I was able to complete without a single nick and very little irritation. These razors get so close you will have to shave less often. There is a bit of learning though. I thought I knew what no pressure meant until I put this to my face.

Sweet! Sounds like you are taming the real beast. Good for you man. Im happy you are having success.

I am sorry I have it all cleaned and boxed I was not able to get to the Post today. I will get it shipped tomorrow. Here is my finnal impression on this awesome shaver. To start, I stated the wrong blade on my first review. I had said that I had used the Feather Professional when it was actually the Feather Proguard. Having shaved with all three the Proguard was my favorite by far. It was the smoothest shaver and the sharpest IMO. I preferred the SS over the RG although that would be a personal choice. The Feather Professional blades just seemed to pull more, they were my least favorite, the Captain milds were decent but not as smooth as the Proguard. While this straight was my favorite device I have used to date, I will say you really need to concentrate when using it. Any minor lapse in concentration and you will bleed. I preferred the Tabac with this as well. I am known for using a gilette old style without a bottom plate and it does not come close to this level of smooth without major irritation. I might try it with some feather blades to see if that helps. All in all, I want one. It will be my next razor purchase/trade. Anyway I want to apologize again for having it this long and I will post the tracking tomorrow afternoon.

Michael, thank you very much. This was a blast to use. If you ever decide you want to sell it, let me know.

It's been quite interesting following this thread and the SABRE thread over the past few months. Because of these discussions I picked up a Parker and a Weck, both of which I found wanting for different reasons. This discussion helped convince me to to pull the trigger on buying a Feather Artist Club SS. For the last month, I've shaved almost exclusively with it using the Pro Guard blades. I'm certainly going to try out some of the other blades for it, as well as move on to a traditional straight razor because I want to try those as well.

For now the Feather AC SS is my go to razor and probably will be my travel razor from here on out as well, I've grown that fond of the shaving experience it provides.

Many thanks to the OP for starting this pass around. It has been quite educational not only for the participants, but the folks like me who have followed it and learned much along the even without laying hands on the razors in question.

Top Bottom