What's new

covnerters vs carts vs built in

I have a 2 Lamy Safaris, and a Levenger L-Tech. All of them I use with the converters to fill from a bottle.

It seems to me though that there is some leakage around where the converter fits onto the Pne, both sometimes leaking a small amount of ink, or not providing the best seal for effective refilling. Makes me wonder if the pens where the filling apparatus is part of the pen are much better options?

So how many folks prefer the cartridges vs converters vs the builtin in filing options?

I haven't had any problems with my Safaris with regards to the converters, a very handy pen for work.
However I do like the TWSBI 580 system even better.
Cartridges I'm just not a fan of.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My only problem with converters is capacity. That being said, I will never again buy a pen over $50 that is a CC pen. Past that price point, for me, it better have a built in filling system.

so do you have a pen with a built in filling system that is in the $70 range that you would recommend?

I have seen the TWSBI 580 but not sure I want a clear/translucent barrel....

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
so do you have a pen with a built in filling system that is in the $70 range that you would recommend?

I have seen the TWSBI 580 but not sure I want a clear/translucent barrel....
You will probably have to go vintage, which is the road I am about to start traveling down. With careful shopping, you should be able to find a modern Pelikan M200 for $100. This is the pen that spoiled me against converters.

On edit: $70 can easily get you a Parker 51 with aerometric fillers. The sacs in those things seem to last forever. If you get a Vacumatic chances are it will need refurbed, unless stated otherwise.

Last edited:
I have no problems with built in pr converters at any price point. Converters are much easier to flush a pen out over built in in most cases.
Carts can be limiting and costly I do use them from time to time however.

Buy a great pen for how it writes, thr filling mechanism should be a secondary thought if you are really torn between a few different purchases and can only pick one

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have no problems with built in pr converters at any price point. Converters are much easier to flush a pen out over built in in most cases.
Carts can be limiting and costly I do use them from time to time however.

Buy a great pen for how it writes, thr filling mechanism should be a secondary thought if you are really torn between a few different purchases and can only pick one

Yes, let it be known that my prejudice against CC pens is just me and where I am at now- there are plenty of fine writing CC pens out there.

james makes a good point about how a pen writes is what should be the main point. However, it gets to a point where there are so many pens that write well, and at certain price points filling mechanisms become a main feature that I look at. I really like other filling mechanisms outside of converters. A lot of vintage pens have very cool filling mechanisms that are one of the reasons they are a draw to me. However, filling mechanisms like the vintage vacs are definitely a lot more of a pain to flush vs a converter. So there are definitely pros and cons to be weighed out. I think that vintage vacs are worth the pain to flush over the plain jane pens with converters. I am seriously looking at the TWSBI 580 because it has a cool filling mech that allows huge ink capacity but can also be taken apart proving for a easier flushing imo. all of this is YMMV though

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am seriously looking at the TWSBI 580 because it has a cool filling mech that allows huge ink capacity but can also be taken apart proving for a easier flushing imo. all of this is YMMV though

I felt a disturbance in the force, like two eyes from the east coast just turned in your direction.

I use a pen because of the way it writes, not the filling system.... I also use a pen that tends to have very few quality problems....and have stood the test of time.... just sayin'

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am seriously looking at the TWSBI 580 because it has a cool filling mech that allows huge ink capacity but can also be taken apart proving for a easier flushing imo. all of this is YMMV though

I use a pen because of the way it writes, not the filling system.... I also use a pen that tends to have very few quality problems....and have stood the test of time.... just sayin'

This is not the pen you are looking for :biggrin:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My only problem with converters is capacity. That being said, I will never again buy a pen over $50 that is a CC pen. Past that price point, for me, it better have a built in filling system.

I find your lack of internal filling mechanism ... disturbing.

proxy.php

Top Bottom