What's new

Red pack Feathers

Oh yes!

You may have heard murmmerings about them in a bazaar in Marakesh... or perhaps knowing looks exchanged when talked about how close they shave in Kathmandu, but here they are, the fabled red pack Feathers!

Yes, you may have travelled the world in search of freshly forged Feather hi-stainless, but you have to know the right people, have the right connections, pay off the yakuza mob bosses...

Or you can do what I did-- and go to the third floor of the Izumiya department store in Kadoma, Osaka, and pick them up in the men's department, but that doesn't sound quite so exotic, now does it?

Some pics:
Mt Fuji from the plane
A pack of fresh from the factory Feathers
My setup for the rising sun tomorrow
My also recently aquired rice/lather bowl--very nice! Only $10

Business travel insn't all bad!:wink:

Osaka, along with Taipei, are two of my favorite cities in East Asia. The three times I've been to Osaka have never been dull. Hope you had a great time!

I'm still there (er...here).

I come over one or twice a year generally. Good food, hospitable people, long flight from Boston, however!:eek:

Looking forward to trying out the Feathers.

The first Guiness I ever had was in a pub in Ireland. I figured my first shave with a Feather happening in Japan counts for something (?) too, doesn't it?

Awesome pack sir, thanks for posting. Do you suspect they are the same blades aside from the package, or are they the "Swedish" Feathers that are somehow superior?

Feather only makes one DE blade worldwide. The ones in the states and Europe are exactly the same as the ones in Japan other than packaging.

They used to make two kinds but stopped many years ago. You can still find NOS.

Joe

Awesome pack sir, thanks for posting. Do you suspect they are the same blades aside from the package, or are they the "Swedish" Feathers that are somehow superior?

These blades are no doubt superior! Can't you see they come in a red pack!?

The Japanese version also allow you to "save face"

OK, so they are no different, aside from the packaging:wink:. Feather has only two factories, both located in Japan, and as mentioned above, they only make one kind of blade since 1989.

Konbonwa!

Most excellent find!

What does one pay for thses blades in the land of their birth?

Is it true that Hattori Hanzo himself designed these fine blades of death?

Let me also say that I now know what all the fuss is about with these blades!

I've been shaving for the last month with Merkurs (my first blades), and had been getting very nice shaves as of late with them. I was happy as could be.

However, I just minutes ago, had a go at my face with these Feathers and MAN they are just so smooooooooth!

Really, I had heard people say how one blade or another feels so different, and didn't think much of it. But, I can honestly say that these are far, far smoother shaving on my face than the Merkurs. My Futur just glides along.

I will be stopping back at the department store again today and taking the other 4-5 packs I saw remaining there. 450Yen a pack (about $4.50). Too bad the exchange rate isn't so hot right now, or they'd be even cheaper.

I'm officially a convert now. I highly recommend these blades for anyone to try! Really, don't be put off by reports of how they are too sharp and will cut you to ribbons. They are sharp (isn't that the whole idea of a razor blade?), and smoothly sail along your skin slicing off your whiskers. Really very nice indeed!

Top Bottom