What's new

The Palmer Method

In order to advance my cursive from that of a 3rd grader, I decided to try the Palmer method to improve my handwriting. After working with it for a few days I have some questions. First, How many of you really write with the arm? It seems to me really counter intuitive. Second, for your practice pages do you use a notebook or a single page? Finally, how long do you practice? I've just been filling a sheet a day which only take a few minutes.

Any other advice is certainly welcome.

Thanks

Started the Palmer method around a year ago, it does work but you have to practise frequently.
It has ironed a few issues out in my handwriting (but plenty more to go! :lol:)
I just used a cheap notebook, and normally completed one or two lessons at a time.

When I went through the palmer method, I quickly decided that whole arm writing was out of the question. I do try to hold my hand up and rite while sweeping my arm right to left, but its more about comfort I think anyways.

Practice pages, 1 a day to start is probably good, extending as you become proficient. I ended up doing more obliques nd straight line practice than anything. I then went to timed excercizes, 45 minutes minimum. Also, lots of warm-up lines "minimum of fifty" is a good one to cover most miniscule letter movements.

Also, for me it was about building a core for my own personal hand, not copying palmer font exactly.

-Xander

Being a southpaw I adapt it a fair bit and being an over writer i use my whole arm but for shorter periods of cursive writing. Initially it is a page and later it may take 2-3 pages to break your bad habits and form some muscle memory. Using a pencil also for me really helps me to work out some kinks in forming and linking letters and then I transition a pen in to my hand.

Top Bottom