What's new

Gillette Goodwill Razors

I've shaved twice with it, first with a new Polsilver & tonight with a new Gillette Silver Blue. The latter was a bit smoother. I have had to alter my technique somewhat on my chin due to the long comb, i.e., no chin 'wrinkling', but this is a really outstanding razor. Nonetheless, one need pay attention as it will most certainly 'bite' you if not paying attention. I don't think I'll make it a daily razor per se, as I like something a tad more mild and forgiving. Regardless, what a piece of history. :thumbup1:

Nice find. That is indeed a 160. Mine shaves very much like a NEW LC.
I think with a bit of time, you will find the 160 to be smooth and forgiving.

Would like to find out the correct Goodwill variants, so I checked this thread and Krumholz's work. [snip] What is the Goodwill in post #5, picture on the right ?

The razor shown there is a Canadian Goodwill. In many cases, Krumholz's material really only speaks to what Gillette was doing in the United States. The international plants didn't always follow exactly along the same lines. The Canadians also did something like a Goodwill/Old Type hybrid that had the standard cap studs of the Goodwill, but had been modified with corner studs on the cap and matching scallops in the guard plate (shown below, source). The Brits and South Americans were also doing slight variations of their own as shown earlier in this thread.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any source that would give us more official designations for those other models. For that matter, I'm not even clear on what Krumholz's source for the American numeric designations was, but they're as good as anything else as long as everyone agrees on their meaning.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The razor shown there is a Canadian Goodwill. In many cases, Krumholz's material really only speaks to what Gillette was doing in the United States. The international plants didn't always follow exactly along the same lines. The Canadians also did something like a Goodwill/Old Type hybrid that had the standard cap studs of the Goodwill, but had been modified with corner studs on the cap and matching scallops in the guard plate (shown below, source). The Brits and South Americans were also doing slight variations of their own as shown earlier in this thread.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any source that would give us more official designations for those other models. For that matter, I'm not even clear on what Krumholz's source for the American numeric designations was, but they're as good as anything else as long as everyone agrees on their meaning.

Excellent info as always Porter.

Just until recently I hadn't seen one of these Canadian Goodwill. One of our members posted his here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ated-Recent-Sales-Recap?p=6844178#post6844178

I find it extremely interesting not only because of the head but also the handle. It was the first time I saw this handle paired with an Old Type (Goodwill in this case), and also the first silver (?) plated one.
I have one of these handles paired with a Canadian NEW, the so called Canadian #77.

I find it extremely interesting not only because of the head but also the handle. It was the first time I saw this handle paired with an Old Type (Goodwill in this case), and also the first silver (?) plated one.
I have one of these handles paired with a Canadian NEW, the so called Canadian #77.

I would assume that that one is more likely nickel plated rather than silver. We also see these same Canadian heads turning up on what would appear to be repurposed Probak handles:

$hL2Djh.jpg

$probak16.jpg

I thought that Goodwills were essentially remachined Old Types (those have the studs coming through the cap) or News (which don't). I'd love to have a New short comb remachined with studs coming through the cap, but as far as I know those don't exist. :thumbdown

The Canadians did do a New Long Comb with the studs coming through the cap. I have two. They do not have the lines design around the stud holes. I now have four variations of North America made Goodwill razors with a fifth on the way and I know of a sixth version that I have seen in photos. There is also a English made long comb Goodwill with round depressions for the studs in the top cap.

For those of you that have Empire Goodwill (as in post 22), how does it compare to a 'normal' NEW LC (US / UK)? Any significant differences, esp in shave character? Basically what I want to know is if it's worth trying to get one if I already have a US NEW LC.

I have a US Goodwill (#160) and a US NEW LC and to me they look identical i.t.o tooth profile and blade gap and also when it comes to the shave. I have also recently acquired a UK NEW (not RFB or Flat Bottom), so I'll be able to compare that one as well, but it looks like it will be the same as the US NEW LC.

For those of you that have Empire Goodwill (as in post 22), how does it compare to a 'normal' NEW LC (US / UK)? Any significant differences, esp in shave character? Basically what I want to know is if it's worth trying to get one if I already have a US NEW LC.

I have a US Goodwill (#160) and a US NEW LC and to me they look identical i.t.o tooth profile and blade gap and also when it comes to the shave. I have also recently acquired a UK NEW (not RFB or Flat Bottom), so I'll be able to compare that one as well, but it looks like it will be the same as the US NEW LC.

Should shave like a New LC, maybe slightly milder due to the thicker cap. But I don't have one, so I don't know.

Found some photos online from a sold listing. Seems like it would be mild, but not always easy to tell from photos.

Goodwill Blade Gap.jpg

Top Bottom