What's new

Feather SE Blades from Connaught Arrived!

$20131122_165501.jpg
The only SE blade I have yet to try just arrived from across the pond. I'm going to give them a go in my Pushbutton this weekend. My go to SE blade is the drugstore stainless, I'm real curious how these Feathers compare.

Please let us know the results from this.

I use a Cobra Classic and I think it's high performance is mainly due to the Feather blade it uses. A "regular" SE blade from Feather could make me blow the dust off my GEMs.

I have a supply of those blades I got for an Autostrop. I'll have to try them in my Gem's, I just tried one to see if it fit in a 1912, and may give it a go in a pushbutton razor I got yesterday.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I got some of those blades. I'm curious now as I also have a push button. Fwiw, the feather blade looks okay in a 1912 until you shave with it. Please post your results

I'm curious as well.....from the photos it looks like the blade is flat,without the thick edge guard of the Gem and Treet SE blades,is that correct ?...Please post results !

First Impressions:

Using the Pushbutton and the Feather SE blade, I shaved my face Saturday and this (Monday) morning, and shaved my head in the shower this morning as well. All face shaves performed with face lathered Cella.

On Saturday, my approach was extremely cautious given my experience with Feather AC blades during the CC Passaround and with Feather DE blades. During all three passes (WTG/XTG/ATG/) I kept the razor head nearly flat against my face and used extremely light pressure and short strokes, being careful not to shave over an area twice without lather. Audio feedback was excellent as is typical here, but with a slightly different timbre maybe due to the spineless blade. The blade slid through the whiskers with no problem, I could let gravity do the work during N/S strokes. Unfortunately, after three passes I didn't feel I achieved as close a shave as I could have had I shaved with a normal blade angle and pressure, and I was kind of disappointed. I feared the Feather a bit, resulting in a less than great shave.

This morning, with 2 days' growth, I imagined I was shaving with my regular SE set up (a CVS stainless SE blade) and went to town. 3 passes, razor head lifted off the face a bit, and normal pressure. As the shave progressed, I found the blade catching a bit so I adjusted the pressure and corrected the angle slightly. I wonder if the spineless blades cause the blade edge to sit differently in the stops? Anyway, as the shave progressed I found good blade angle and pressure, achieving a BBS to my standards in the process, no blood at all. Strangely, throughout the shave, I felt more "scraping" than I normally do, but I wonder if I'm out of practices with an SE (haven't used one since SEptember).

It's now 8 hours later and I'm still BBS, and this is as good as I can get without suffering irritation with any DE or SE .

My head shave went well also, though to be honest I always get cue ball smooth results with pretty much any DE or SE.

My overall impression is of a very sharp blade performing well, but with slightly different angle and pressure requirements. I'll continue to use this blade/razor combo and post again later in the week.

Thanks for your interest and happy shaving!

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
I will finish my blade (GEM Blue at the moment) and try one in my push button. I'm curious to see if those feather would work in the Featherweight and the Contour (I have both so it should be quick to test). I normally do not like Feather but, anything for science!

I will finish my blade (GEM Blue at the moment) and try one in my push button. I'm curious to see if those feather would work in the Featherweight and the Contour (I have both so it should be quick to test). I normally do not like Feather but, anything for science!

I find the SE Feathers to be a different animal than their other blades, but you will be the judge of that for yourself.

Quick update: today's shave was superb, better than yesterday's in the shave comfort department with great BBS results.

I tried one in my 1912 and it did not work, The blade would acutally push back on one side from the forward stops leaving almost no exposure and not cutting well. In a push button, it was held tight enough that it stayed in place and gave an excellent shave.

I tried one in my 1912 and it did not work, The blade would acutally push back on one side from the forward stops leaving almost no exposure and not cutting well. In a push button, it was held tight enough that it stayed in place and gave an excellent shave.

Interesting info, now we need a list of razors these Feather blades work in, "not it."

Luc

Staff member

Yup, I tried that and the blade "falls" backward - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/292388-Single-edge-blade-guide?p=5375457#post5375457

I finished my GEM Blue this morning so I will try a Feather in my Pushbutton, Contour and Featherweight tomorrow morning. One pass per razor is everything is fine.

Luc

Staff member
Okay. I tried the Feather blade pictured in post 1 into the following.

GEM PUSHBUTTON - I can confirm it works really well
FEATHERWEIGHT - It doesn't work, the blade does not stay in place well
CONTOUR - It works really well

Now, this is coming from someone who *doesn't* like Feathers. It was fantastic. I couldn't tell it was a feather, the shave was super-smooth in the Pushbutton and Contour. I loved it. I will buy more of those feather as a Sunday shave or something because they are special in there. I usually find Feather to be rough but sharp, but in those razors, it was sharp and smooth!

If you have one of the two razors, I recommend that you try one, it's great.

Last edited:
Thanks Luc. My quibble is after yesterday's shave, the blade became too dull. 4 face and one head shave. I'm going back to my Gem stainless for comparison.

A couple years ago a member generously sent me some of these blades along with several "spines" he had pulled off Gem blades. Per his recommendation I was able to simply slip one of these on a Feather and "poof" it worked in any SE razor I had. There was no need to crimp the spine onto the blade as the razors adequately secured it in place. I liked the shaves, but they could not dethrone the Feather ACs. ; )

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
A couple years ago a member generously sent me some of these blades along with several "spines" he had pulled off Gem blades. Per his recommendation I was able to simply slip one do these on a Feather and "poof" it worked in any SE razor I had. There was no need to crimp the spine onto the blade as the razors adequately secured it in place. I liked the shaves, but they could not dethrone the Feather ACs. ; )

Just to be clear, I did not add a spine to the Feather, they worked well!

Luc

Staff member
I followed you, Luc. I mentioned that in the event someone wanted to try it in a razor they did not otherwise work in (e.g., the Featherweight).

ah righto, I missed that bit! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom