What's new

What knot do you use?

Used to be a full Windsor but sometimes the length would not be quite right due to the thickness of the knot. Switched over to the Pratt/Shelby and a perfect knot every time.

I think - correct me if I'm wrong - that the original post was asking about the eldredge/edietiy knot. I've learned to tie these knots and I think they're fun and interesting, but I would never wear them to a truly formal event. I've worn them to a few sorority/Evans Scholar 'formal' events; they're definitely a conversation starter in situations where the APPEARANCE of formalwear is more important than abiding to the true definitions. If you decide to learn how to tie one of these knots, I suggest learning the "Ellie" variation. This provides a loop on the back of the knot to sneak the short end through so it finishes closer to a normal knot, rather than tucking the excess back into the collar. Attached is my best attempt at the Ellie. I think it looks pretty neat with a striped tie.

Attachments

• $2013-04-08 18.32.08.jpg
    $2013-04-08 18.32.08.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 88
For my floppier ties I use a double Windsor knot or a cape knot if I'm feeling festive.

For my stiffer ties I like a half Windsor. Or I tie them into bowties.

After Willie Mays met the president I tried the Onassis knot for a while... nobody noticed...

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Knotty:
When we were young, my brothers and I wore clip-on ties (church, garden parties, ect..), and I didn't begin to learn how to knot my own ties (four-in-hand), until I joined the Army. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"A true gent will always wear his [tie] well". Mr. Coward

You guys are fancy lol. I wear Four-in-hand primarily and occasionally a Shelby if I want to show off lol.

Growing up I was always a 4 in hand tie kind of guy it was easy and just what I knew until my 30's after getting out of the military I became more of a Windsor dbl Windsor knot guy though more technically challenging to tie I liked the bulkier feel and look to a Windsor or dbl Windsor knot. Some of the newer knots I personally find silly looking.

I usually tie a Windsor because I have OCD and can't stand a knot that's uneven, even though I can't see it I know it's there. But if I'm in a hurry I tie a schoolboy knot also known as a simple knot. If I feel like showing off I tie a Trinity, Eldredge, or Van Wijk which are all complicated and take me several tries to get right.

Double windsor for most of the time. Here recently though I've been using the Pratt knot more and more.

Top Bottom