What's new

What's your signature recipe?

Just like the title asks. What is your one go-to recipe that always pleases? Please post some good recipes and pics are always good too. I'll dig around in my books and post back up here later...

First off, my wood-fired pizza:

Ahi tuna:

I got some more pics, I just gotta sort through photobucket to find them.

General Tso's inspired chicken.

Ingredients:

Chicken Breast (cubed)

Breading
----------
Flour
pepper(black)
cayenne pepper
paprika

marinade
-----------
Milk
Frank's red hot(or hot sauce of your choice)
garlic powder

Sauce
-------
store bought orange, General Tso or other sauce of your choice

I don't use any real measurements, so I apologize for that. Mix the marinade until it is a nice pink color, put in the chicken does not have to soak for long. Dredge in the flour/pepper mixture (mixed for your desired level of spiciness). Fry chicken in oil until 165F. Toss cooked chicken in bowl with sauce. Serve.

Mark Bittman's Tomato Paella with variations.

I heat my enameled cast iron Lodge 12" pan. Olive oil, sauté garlic and onions. Add smoked paprika. Add chicken stock and rice, cook rice in pan with lid on. While rice is cooking, slice a bunch of tomatoes into wedges and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. When the rice is done, layer tomatoes on top and broil the whole thing so the tomatoes blacken partially and that roasted tomato juice seeps down and flavors the rice even more.

I sometimes add pan-browned sausage or I sauté some peel-on shrimp (med to high heat so the shrimp brown) and deglaze the pan with a bit of white wine to go with the paella.

Lastly, a bowl with some extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt, pepper, and (optionally) either Dijon mustard and/or real balsamic vinegar mixed with a fork and tossed with arugula.

If I'm on my game, I can get everything ready within the time it takes rice to cook + 10 minutes for the broiling + 10 minutes for sautéing.

I really need to figure out how to do this so it works with brown rice so it can be healthier. So far my brown rice is undercooked or a mushy mess. I may try the "boil the rice" technique and then steam it at the end, but I don't know if boiling with chicken stock will wreck the flavor.

As a general rule, brown rice takes a little while and a little more liquid to cook. You can try cooking it in another pot until you get your ratios right, then just apply that to that recipe...

Signature dish may be pasta alla Amatriciana, at least for a savory dish. I suppose soft shell crabs might be in contention, too.
Fruit tart, perhaps, for a desert.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Before my wife turned vegetarian, and now even to vegan, I made a couple times a year German Sauerbraten...or a nice Goulash.. .great stuff especially in the cold weather - typical fall/winter dishes. Miss these, but its not fun to cook for one alone.

Last edited:
The one recipe I get the most requests for is my Pasta alla Carbonara.

They key is the sauce, and the egg (gives a silky mouth feel)

Ingredients:

Pasta - 1/2 pound
Heavy cream - 2 pints
Grated Parmesan cheese - 3/4 cups
Butter (unsalted) - 3 T
Frozen peas - 2 C
Medium diced Prosciutto di Parma or bacon
Salt and white pepper (to taste)
Fresh nutmeg - (to taste)
Minced garlic - 2 T
Fresh whole egg
Chiffonade of 4 T fresh basil leaves

Boil salted water for the pasta: fettuccini, spaghetti, etc.

In a medium sauce pan, heat 2 pints of heavy cream to a simmer.
Add 3 T butter
When hot, add 3/4 C grated parmesan
Add salt and white pepper to taste (TT) - Use caution with white pepper. It blooms when heated, meaning a little goes a long way.

Add pasta to boiling salted water.
Cook until al dente.

Heat a small sauté pan and render the prosciutto or bacon to release fat.
Add the frozen peas and sauté for 2 min
Add garlic and heat through. Remove from heat.

Drain pasta and add to a large bowl.

Beat the egg in a small bowl.

Remove cream sauce from heat. Add peas and prosciutto to sauce and stir well. Grate fresh nutmeg into sauce and stir.

Pour sauce over the hot pasta and toss well.
Add the beaten egg to the pasta and toss again,.

Garnish with fresh basil and more grated parmesan.

Serve with roasted garlic and rustic artisan bread or focaccia. And of course, an adult beverage!

Enjoy.

Beef Wellington

Piri Piri Chicken - I have to do this at least twice a month for the missus
From the What's Cooking thread…
6 large red chilis, with seeds
2 bird's eye chilis, de-seeded (I know, I am a wuss)
3 cloves garlic
tsp salt
tsp sugar
100ml olive oil - any decent will do, but EVOO is not necessary
50ml red wine vinegar
tbsp paprika - this is mainly for colour, the flavour will come from the chilis
good shake of dried oregano, maybe a couple of tsps

Heat together over a low heat for about five mins in a small saucepan and allow to cool.

Blitz to a fine paste.

Chuck it and the chook into a freezer bag and stash in the fridge until the next day.

Take the chook out of the marinade and reserve.

Into a pre-heated oven 200C for as long as it takes to cook the chook through - normally I use bone-in leg portions but our crappy supermarket only had boneless breasts yesterday - so tonight will be about 25 mins I guess.

While that is happening, decant the marinade into a pan and heat through for a good 15 mins or so, so the raw chicken effect is negated and it thickens up nicely. Check the seasoning and pour over the chicken when you serve it.

It should be flavoursome, but not overly hot.

Dessert - Thomas Keller's lemon sabayon tart, just fantastic. Cheating I know, but the sublimeness of it means no apology required

Hot corn:

4 cans corn - drained
2 cups of shredded cheese
2 - 8oz packages of cream cheese
1 cup of butter
1/2 cup milk
1 jar of jalapeno's - drained ( or for less hot, a can or two of Rotel tomatoes - drained )

Pour into crock pot.

Sometimes I add some garlic or chili power for extra flavor.

Made it yesterday. All the men said it was good, all the ladies thought it was too hot.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Oysters Robinson.

Need:
Large cast iron skillet and spatula
half pint of shucked oysters, drained. Save the liquid. Good for gumbo or chowder.
6 large eggs, beaten
1 small onion, coarsely chopped.
1/4 lb bacon, chopped. I take the whole package and snip off 1/4" at a time off the end with scissors.
2 large jalapenos, stem core and seeds removed, finely chopped. Wear latex gloves so you don't at some point rub the oil into your eyes
1/3 lb velveeta cheese. You can cut it or grate it, or melt it on low heat in a saucepan. Mix a TBSP or two of heavy cream if you like.
Lawry's Season-All, to taste

Slowly cook the chopped bacon. Move it around a lot, keep the heat low. Cook until it is medium brown and very crispy. Drain all but a couple Tbsp of bacon grease off. (save it... magic for frying eggs or making cornbread!) Add onions and jalapenos to skillet, stir around, turn up the heat. When the onions are semi translucent and browning at the edges, and the jalapenos are a deep green, add the oysters. Turn the heat to high. As the oysters cook, they will give off liquid, which will unstuck any remaining stucky bacon stuff from the skillet. Eventually they will stop giving up liquid, and the liquid will start to cook off. When the liquid has reduced to half or a bit less, add the eggs. Don't play with them constantly. Let them cook a little before disturbing them. Turn the heat down low when they are firming up enough to turn nicely. Cover for faster cooking. When eggs are nearly set, season with Lawry's to taste, and add the cheese on top. Distribute it well. Don't stir it in. Cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes for the cheese to melt in and the eggs to firm up without sticking. Serve with biscuits or flour tortillas. Good stuff if I may say so myself. Generally I make this as a breakfast or brunch dish. Cold leftovers will go well in a poboy with a little fresh onion and sour cream dressing, but unless you are eating alone you probably won't have leftovers to worry about.

Sausage Pinwheels

biscuit dough (from about 2 cups of flour), and roll out to about 1/2" (about 12"x15")
1 pound sausage (raw, use your favorite), and spread it out over about 1/2 to 2/3 of the dough
roll up jelly roll style and slice about 1/2" to 3/4" thick
bake at 325-350 until done (bottoms brown)
most of my family likes best with honey-butter or blackberry preserves

Top Bottom