What's new

Barrister & Mann Sampler Review

I had my doubts about B&M the first couple times I used it. But once I learned the right product/water ratio this soap quickly became my go to soap when I wanted a fast and easy lather. I didn't love all the scents, but I didn't hate any either.

I found with the "regular" scents at the time I ordered the sampler that I didn't dislike any of them but didn't love any of them except for the bay rum and Nocturne. Those two are great and I got pucks of them. And then B&M released Roam and Dickens, which I snatched up and think are fantastic.

I'm not a big lavender person and I think 2-3 of their soaps have lavender.

Apparently I am the only one that can't get this brand to lather.

That's weird, B&M lathers for me if I just look at. I know it says it's a thirsty soap, but I haven't found that to be true. Will has even mentioned that he wrote that on the website only because a couple of people mentioned it to him with some early batches. What's your routine?

Apparently I am the only one that can't get this brand to lather.

While I do not have issues with it, there have been some people with hard water that have run into issues with getting it to lather apparently. It's one of the reasons for his new "Black Label" line that will be out soon. From what I understand that soap has a slight change in the formula to aid in lathering with hard water. Maybe give that a go once it's out. :thumbup1:

While I do not have issues with it, there have been some people with hard water that have run into issues with getting it to lather apparently. It's one of the reasons for his new "Black Label" line that will be out soon. From what I understand that soap has a slight change in the formula to aid in lathering with hard water. Maybe give that a go once it's out. :thumbup1:

Figured it might be the water. Hopefully this will come out before my 2015 no-buy goes into place.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Someone posted an eye-opening video after a post B&M not lathering well. B&M is a very thirsty soap. In the video the guy loaded B&M on the brush for at least 30 seconds, then dumped the fully loaded brush in water. You'd think oh no, no lather. Lather galore. This video changed the way I load B&M. Not that I had issues prior. Another tip, quickly warm rinse (or hot rinse) the B&M soap prior to lathering may also help.

Someone posted an eye-opening video after a post B&M not lathering well. B&M is a very thirsty soap. In the video the guy loaded B&M on the brush for at least 30 seconds, then dumped the fully loaded brush in water. You'd think oh no, no lather. Lather galore. This video changed the way I load B&M. Not that I had issues prior. Another tip, quickly warm rinse (or hot rinse) the B&M soap prior to lathering may also help.

Will try that way (used plenty of water before). If this works I am going to be so ticked I did not try it before Hallows came out. My 2015 no-buy will prevent me from getting it next year.

Strange indeed that some are having issues lathering this soap. I have very hard water where I'm at and have had no issues whatsoever lathering.

Tried this. Definitely lathered better, but still not great and no cushioning. Must be my water. I will say this, of all the soaps I have tried their scents stick around the longest.

I'm having trouble with the lather as well. Tried Bay Rum and Nocturne so far and really enjoying the scents.

I'll try the 'more water' suggestions

With the B&M soaps I have (one tallow and one vegan) I put a little water on top of the puck while soaking my brush. (I do this with all the soaps I have. And, for info, I have soft water.) Then I shake out the brush, wring it lightly, pour the water off the puck, and commence to lather. Very shortly (only maybe ten twirls) I have enough soap on my brush to commence face lathering. I simply do not have a problem creating lather and almost never need any extra water. Hope this helps!

With the B&M soaps I have (one tallow and one vegan) I put a little water on top of the puck while soaking my brush. (I do this with all the soaps I have. And, for info, I have soft water.) Then I shake out the brush, wring it lightly, pour the water off the puck, and commence to lather. Very shortly (only maybe ten twirls) I have enough soap on my brush to commence face lathering. I simply do not have a problem creating lather and almost never need any extra water. Hope this helps!

I use this same method with all soaps and have the same results.

That is my standard method, I tried it first.

B&M soap is extremely easy to lather. No special technique required just a damp brush, 30s swirling, then face lather and add water until you get what you want. More product = great lather! Easy peasy...

Top Bottom