What's new

Another solution to the I kon Slant rust issue

I am enjoying the different shave experience that I get from my Ikon Slant. Loading the blade correctly is a bit fiddly, but my only real problem is rust transfer from the blade to the inside of the razor head.

I leave a blade (usually an Astra SP) in my Ikon for 3 shaves & I normally have two razors in rotation at any one time, so the blade can remain in my Slant for about a week. When I remove the blade from the Slant, rust from the blade has transferred to the cap & guard of the Slant, which I then have to spend time removing with soapy water/alcohol & a toothbrush. I don't get this problem with my Tradere OC, or my Ikon Deluxe OC.

One obvious solution to the Slant rust issue is to remove the blade & dry everything after each shave. This is a added nuisance, especially as it would mean either storing the blade safely until next used, or reassembling the razor & getting the blade properly aligned again.

Before I loaded a blade in my Slant last time round, I smeared some shave oil on the inside of the cap & on the top of the guard, before inserting the blade & screwing on the head as normal. Today, 7 days later, I opened up the Slant & there was not a trace of rust. I hope this helps someone.

Sounds like a good idea for those who prefer to leave the blade in the razor. I tend to use the same blade in multiple razors, so I remove it after each shave, and rust has never been a problem.

I have a weber pH on the way and was thinking of doing the same thing to prevent rust stains from the blade. Was thinking of either using oil or Vaseline (petroleum jelly).

I have a weber pH on the way and was thinking of doing the same thing to prevent rust stains from the blade. Was thinking of either using oil or Vaseline (petroleum jelly).

Vaseline might be a bit too thick/viscous & act as a shim. I did think about using it myself, as I thought the shave oil I used would wash away, but my experience so far is that enough oil remains for it to still be effective in stopping rust.

I'd imagine it would be able to squash down enough as it's very soft. However the oil seems to work well for you so I will just go with that. My concern about the Vaseline was actually that it might gunk up the razor and be harder to remove. I imagine all the hair and soap scum sticking to it. :eek:

The oil will likely wash away excerpt for the very small amount trapped between the blade and the head, right where you want it. Sounds perfect.

Good to know. I leave my blade in my iKon Slant for a week at a time and don't really have rust issues. Occasionally, I'll see a hint of rust transfer but I easily wipe it away with a towel in 1 second. Maybe it has to do with my water.

I have an OC Ikon and found that it picks up rust stains in the cap if a blade is left in (I use a blade for 2 shaves). The solution I came up with is loosening the head after shaving so that the blade is less torqued and air can circulate. Seems to have fixed the problem.

After shaving, rinsing with hot water and blowing the water away I always spay some 80% alcohol mixed with a bit of mineral oil (ballistol) on both sides of the razor (shake well before use). The alcohol will dry quickly and the oil will leave a very thin protective film on the razor and blade. Rinse with hot water before shaving and be sure to use oil that is skin friendly like mineral oil.
Never have a razor or blade with rust spots again.

The issue with the iKon slant is having to reassemble everything if you remove the blade to dry it between each shave. In my Pils, this is not an issue, as the blade aligns perfectly with no movement while tightening the cap. Not so in my iKon slant, which takes some adjusting to get an even blade alignment.

Thanks for the tip on the oil. I'll give it a try.

I do the same. I use some "white mineral oil" safe for contact with food, i.e. sold for treating wooden cutting boards.
I apply a drop of oil with a Q-tip on the surfaces of all DE razors that come into contact with the blade before I insert it. Since then no rust issues.

Rust spots wipe away on my Ikon slant. But I noticed differences when I used different brands of blade. I started with Wilkinson Sword classic, stainless steel, made in England. There was staining all over the inside of the head, making its way to the side of the head.

I switched to Astra super platinum; the staining decreased significantly, but was still there.

I flip the blade (and clean the razor w/a toothbrush) after 3 days; discard after a week.

What brands of blade have those who have not experienced rust used (assuming no cleaning after each use)?

What is causing the blades to rust? I often leave blades in razors for more than a week, and I have never had one with a hint of rust.

someone on massdrop tried to polish their slant head because it came scratched and these are the pics they posted:

$IMG_4983.jpg

$IMG_4989.jpg

they are saying it appears to be brass after polishing makes me curious.

again please note those are NOT MY PICS. but gigabillou posted: I tried to do a little polishing of the head (to remove the scratches), it seems that it is not stainless steel, but brass...

im AM NOT saying it is or is not just would make me curious. only thing i can think of is maybe from the heat from polishing it may have discolored the metal? but usually that doesnt look like brass when that happens. i do not know what different grades of stainless look like after polishing 1 vs another though i have polished my fair share and i never have had it discolor on me (like a exhaust from a motorcycle is what im thinking of)

Last edited:
Top Bottom