What's new

Knife Purchase

Hey Guys,

I acquired this knife at a local auction. I know this is probably not the right forum, but I thought I would take a shot in the dark.

There are no makers marks. I got it cheap… Bit i am a collector, but I am not really digging the mystery if I can help it

Attachments

• $photo 1.jpg
    $photo 1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 274
  • $photo 2.jpg
    $photo 2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 274
  • $photo 3.jpg
    $photo 3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 273
  • $photo 4.jpg
    $photo 4.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 275
  • $photo 5.jpg
    $photo 5.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 274
To me it looks more like a piece someone made themselves. My Pops used to make some similar about 30 years ago without the guards.

Clear, in focus pictures with a neutral colored, non-distracting background. Next to a ruler for scale. Straight-on shots with plenty of light.

Makers mark, if there is one, could be in the middle of the blade or on the guard. Let me do some looking...

-Xander

You came to the right forum! B&B members are a varied lot who have an incredible amount of knowledge about a lot of subjects.

I still haven't found an exact copy, but the blade appears to be an unmarked or once lightly marked Sheffield blade (not uncommon). If you could give clear close ups of the ricasso and plunge, the quillon and scale pins I should be able to tell if it is factory made, or a theater knife, or a garage knife.

Good question ^^

Local auctions are notorious for doing research on items up to and including looking for marks on an item at arms length and asking around for ideas. It pays to know your stuff going to these, excellent deals can be had! I bought a rifle at one for $300, took the scope and mount off and sold those alone for $450!

Other things that interest me about this knife, the scales don't fit the guard well, the guard appears to have a sloppy fit, the blade grind appears accurate and well done, not easy for a "home smith" and I doubt scale and guard fitment would be poorly done with that god of a grind. Looks like a rehandle job on a factory blade to me.

-Xander

P.s. if it doesn't interest you for your collection, let me know. Also, love the jewelers anvil you have there, the mini farriers anvil is cool too!

Top Bottom