What's new

What Green Coffee did you Buy or Roast Today?

Yesterday roasted 2 400 gram batches. First was Mexican Chiapas second was Panama Boquete. Both dropped at 420 degrees F so light american roast (city). The Mexican was very flavorful this morning.

Last night I Roasted some Yemen Mocca Matari. Went full city, they look great. This is the first batch of Mocca Matari as I recently received a sizable order from Coffee Bean Coral. Looking forward to giving them a go this weekend.

Just finished roasting some more Panama. I need to burn through the 10# that I have of this origin so been sticking with it the past several roasts (along with another origin occasionally)

14:35 minutes dropped @ 420 degrees BT

It looked like rain so no laptop and digital logging.

I roasted "seat of the pants" using my dual channel meter to keep an eye on BT/ET and my thermopen BIG timer to watch the time each temp checked in at.

All put away and still no rain but it is dark as midnight outside now.

Thinking of building a roasting/garden shed so that weather is no longer an issue but it is hard to convince SWMBO that I need another building.

Just finished roasting some more Panama. I need to burn through the 10# that I have of this origin so been sticking with it the past several roasts (along with another origin occasionally)

14:35 minutes dropped @ 420 degrees BT

It looked like rain so no laptop and digital logging.

I roasted "seat of the pants" using my dual channel meter to keep an eye on BT/ET and my thermopen BIG timer to watch the time each temp checked in at.

All put away and still no rain but it is dark as midnight outside now.

Thinking of building a roasting/garden shed so that weather is no longer an issue but it is hard to convince SWMBO that I need another building.

That would be sweet to have a place where everything is just left in place and protected from weather. Wouldn't have to be big. Good ventilation, well lighted, insulated for comfort, adequate storage...

-jim

I roasted an absurd amount on my BBQ roaster outside, rain or shine, day and night. Being able to move inside was dreamy.

I roasted 2kg on my brother's Ambex yesterday. We are tempted to start adding thermocouples so we can do a bit better than logging with pencil/paper. I see that some of the people here have some really nice roasters.

Ruckin.

Roasted some Nicaraguan SHG Paraiso this evening. I got lucky, as I became distracted enough that I forget all about the roast-in-progress until it was well into the cool down cycle. I expected charcoal but looks like a nice light roast. That is one benefit of using the Behmor P4 profile. I have gotten the P4 profile more dialed-in in terms of bean load and preheating, but usually still need to add some extra seconds at the end which is good from a safety perspective. In contrast when using the P1 profile, I usually need to kill the roast before the countdown clock had expired.
proxy.php

before I got back to it and expected charcoal.

Two roasts today.

First was Guamanian Acatenango roasted to 425 degrees

Second roast was Ethiopian Yirga Ceffe Aricha dry processed taken to 420 degrees.

Roast profile on the Guamanian

proxy.php

Roast profile on the Ethiopian

proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe, you guys are making me tired just watching you. A new coffee roaster just opened up which I ran into by accident. Buying some morning treats at Noah's bagels I made a left turn and there it was.
Looking forward to a cup.

Attachments

• $IMG_20150926_081258_787-1.jpg
    $IMG_20150926_081258_787-1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Some Rwanda Misozi and some more Nicaraguan SHG Paraiso, both roasted well through 1st crack but not reaching 2nd. I am looking forward to trying them next week.

I took the control panel of the hottop apart yesterday and cleaned everything with alcohol and put some tuner cleaner/lube on the momentary contact button switches, "exercised" them for a while then cleaned off the residue with more alcohol. Let everything dry for 24 hours and put it back together late today.

Hooked the TC4C and the laptop up to the Hottop and did two back to back roasts

First was some Guatemalan that I took to the start of first crack (light light almost city)

Second was some Rwandan that I ran through 2nd crack to full city +

Both roasts were 230 grams so I have enough coffee to last me for a few days

The hottop performed beautifully. I find that I roast more with my senses using the visual of the beans in the large front window along with the sound of the beans (the cracks) and smell (when the beans get to end of dry). The feed back from the roasting software is not relied on as much when I use this roaster.

Sorry no pics as it was rather late and not good light for photos.

Two back to back roasts in the SF-1

Costa Rica Honey Processed

Ethiopian Yirgacheffe (dry processed)

Both light roasted to around 400 degrees F

I ordered some green and roasted Mexico Veracruz Tejeria Teocelo coffee from Wilson's Coffee Tea of Racine, WI to try these out and compare my roasts to their production roasts, just for fun. It's been a while since I've roasted on my Behmor since I've been busy, but I managed to get in a roast on Saturday that looks pretty good. Hoping for a favorable result of this coffee. I also figured out with the Behmor Plus board, the limitation on the start temperature has been disabled so instead of pre-heating for just two minutes I did a three minute pre-heat with the chaff tray in, stopped the roaster and then with Ove Gloves put in the loaded drum and started the roast for a higher starting temp.

Attachments

• $Mex1 (Custom).jpg
    $Mex1 (Custom).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 34
  • $Mex2 (Custom).jpg
    $Mex2 (Custom).jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 36
  • $Mex3 (Custom).jpg
    $Mex3 (Custom).jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 36
Took advantage of the improving weather to roast some Nicaraguan and Rwandan. For the last month it has been too cold to enjoy coffee roasting.

Yesterday I roasted 454 grams of a Guatemala Proyecto Xinabajul - Pena Roja from Sweet Maria's I got back in October on my Huky500. I took it to 435f as it was recommended on the roast guidelines. I usually drop at 415f so I wasn't expecting the increase in the ROR after that temp.

Top Bottom