What's new

What Green Coffee did you Buy or Roast Today?

They are calling for very cold weather and possibly snow so while it is still upper 50's I shoved the roaster outside and roasted 1/2 lb of sweet Maria's Sumatran Mandheling to city + and a 1/2 lb of sweet Maria's Classic espresso blend to Vienna (just into 2nd crack).

Don't want to run out of beans and have to buy some roasted from the local house after buying green from them :001_smile

I've got 3 lbs of roasted so I should be able to last until the weather breaks and I can roast again.

I'm starting to enjoy this latest adventure.

Roasted tonight, it's cold and windy, but not rainy! Only incident was a pine cone fell off the tree and just missed going into the pot and instead landed on the burner. Gave it a bit of extra heat to power through 1st.

SM's Ethiopia Busa Bechane - through 1st, don't think I heard any 2nd.

$IMG_7471.jpg

You can see that the roasting method I use does produce the occasional charring on some of the beans. I've come to think of my roasts as covering the spectrum from City to FC+ all in one batch :smile:

-jim

So, I guess we can make this a "what are you roasting today thread" eh turtle?

Tonight, I roasted 1lb of Columbian Supremo from Popayan. I let it go until about 2m past the first crack and I ended up with an amazing city+.

Oh yea, that was the ojective to see what everyone's "Today's Roast" is :001_smile

Fine looking Colombian there. How do you intend brewing it?

Roasted tonight, it's cold and windy, but not rainy! Only incident was a pine cone fell off the tree and just missed going into the pot and instead landed on the burner. Gave it a bit of extra heat to power through 1st.

You can see that the roasting method I use does produce the occasional charring on some of the beans. I've come to think of my roasts as covering the spectrum from City to FC+ all in one batch :smile:

-jim

I have been a "blending fool" for decades going back to when all I could find was grocery pre-grind to mix together to try to come up with something drinkable.

Today I blended in half of my 1/2 lb Vienna roast Colombian (from Thursday) with my already blended espresso mix in the Super Jolly hopper. Closed the bean gate on the SJ hopper. Pulled the hopper out. Poured in the Vienna roast then, holding the lid on and the gate closed rotated the hopper round and round to "blend" in this lighter (dark) roast into the heavy Italian / City + roast blend I already had in the hopper.

Completely different taste and lip smacking good.... Oh yea..... I like to blend....

Don't know about "today's" roast. But I just finished up three different bags of Katch expresso and liked them all - a lot. Just placed an order for three different bags of Equator expresso to see how they compare.

I do French press pretty much exclusively. The full flavor, lack of paper waste, and speed of the brew make it great.

I might do some cold brew french press as this stuff gets LIVE at room temp (let a cup sit while we went out on accident). I mean, the flavors just came popping out. Was downright amazing.
I would encourage you to try cold brewing to see how you like it, but be aware that the flavor profile will be different than if you made a hot french press and let it cool down by waiting as you did or by pouring a concentrated brew over ice.

View attachment 387642

-jim

Do you roast in a colander on the stove top?

Yesterday it warmed up enough to roast once again so I did 1/2 lb of Colombian (Santa Barbara Estate) to mid 2nd crack (Vienna dark) and 1/2 lb of Tanzanian Peaberry to just before 2nd crack (city to full city)

No pics of the roast in progress (roasting coffee is just a little less boring than watching paint dry, except for the note taking part)

Ground a small sample (18g) of the Tanzanian for the 3 cup Chemex this morning and all I can say is..... I think I've found my everyday coffee. This stuff is spankin good.....

Pic of the Tanzanian Peaberry: Green and roasted

proxy.php

Do you roast in a colander on the stove top?

-jim

No, our stove is not outside sitting under a pine tree. we got indoor plumbing and electricity. :lol:

I have a propane burner I roast on top of under the old pine tree. I'm thinking of putting up a tarp shelter. the darn tree leaks.

-jim

Here's my roaster View attachment 390042

Took some Colombia Santa Ines and Ethiopia Sidamo Dry Process "Ardi" to a potential customer today. We'll see how that pans out.

And roasted a blend of Brazil and Guatemala for some local folks.

Sunday night roast

One on the left is SMs Ethiopia Grade 1 Dry-Process Aramo and on the right SMs Sumatra Mandeling-Aceh Triple Pick

$2013-12-04-05-15-38-721.jpg

I mix them 50/50 in the grinder, it's really nice.

-jim

Yesterday, it got up to almost 50 degrees here in northern Indiana! I grabbed my Turbo-crazy roaster, tables, box fan, steel mesh bowls and power strip, ran to the sunny side of the house and set up. Oh, also a larger cardboard box to place the roaster in to keep away some of the wind. Hey, ya gotta take advantage of the weather when you can!

I did four pounds of Peruvian Chanchamayo Highland and two pounds Costa Rican Tarrazu. Letting them de-gas for a couple days. Some went as Christmas gifts.

Today it's down into the twenties again. Yesterday may have been my last chance for a few months. No garage.

I admire you guys for roasting your own beans. You make it look real tasty. I would think that the final product tastes even better knowing that you created it. Considering I have a mini science lab in the kitchen I might take that next step.

It's a lot easier to roast than you might think and get great results.

This is what I use and if you order it from here you get 5lbs of coffee to start roasting with :) They're available on Amazon for the same price but you don't get 5lbs of free coffee there.

Thanks for pointing me in this direction. The price is pretty reasonable. I may take that leap. Do you recommend any roasting websites or reading material?

Thanks for pointing me in this direction. The price is pretty reasonable. I may take that leap. Do you recommend any roasting websites or reading material?

To slightly over simplify, I recommend roasting 1/2 pound on profile number 1 with extra time added and/or using a few ounces short of 1/2 pound. Letting it go until the start of second crack and smoking pretty well so you start to get a feel for the different stages the coffee goes through. Your first few roasts will be a learning process.

Sounds pretty self explanatory. Thanks for your help. I hope to post up something drinkable once I figure it out.

Top Bottom