What's new

What Green Coffee did you Buy or Roast Today?

Pictures from the second roasting of the Malabar
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396104874.142166.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396104889.214961.jpg

I did 225g of this today:

Came out about Full City, maybe City+.

The cool thing is this was the first roast I ran after modding my roaster to use the Artisan software. Here's what the run looked like:

I also ran another 240g of Brazil Yellow Bourbon to Full City +. I wanted to try this stuff with a much darker roast. Here's that run, sorry no bean photo...I forgot.

I did another batch of Guatemala Antigua Finca from Sweet Maria's. I took it to just past the end of FC. This ended a lot lighter than the last time I roasted it, but that was what I was looking for.

the profile looked like this:

Did my weekend roasts earlier today. I roasted the following:

I was trying for a city/city+ roast for the Kenya and let is go about 45 secs after FC ended. The Sumatra went about 15 secs into SC as I was going for more of a Full City finish with it. I think they look pretty darn close to perfect for my tastes.

Here's the roast profiles:

Happy Roasting!

On 4/9 I roasted some more of the six been espresso blend from coffee beans direct. This time the weather was better and I was able to take it in to 2nd crack in the popcorn popper. Just pulled my first shot with it. Absolutely excellent to my neophyte espresso taste buds. Bakers chocolate with no off favors. Sweet finish.

A dedicated roaster is inevitable. Going to have to wait until I've healed up from bending over for the IRS. :mad3::ohmy:

@Dirk - Sorry to hear about the IRS troubles, but getting a roaster with more control is awesome. I'm thouroughly enjoying my HotTop, but there are plenty of options out there.

@Mick - What are you waiting on?

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I can't recommend the Behmor 1600 enough.

@Dirk - Sorry to hear about the IRS troubles, but getting a roaster with more control is awesome. I'm thouroughly enjoying my HotTop, but there are plenty of options out there.

Thanks guys. No troubles. Just rendering unto Caesar what is Caesar's. Still sucks.

I had a hard time saying no to the Behmor that was on B/S/T recently.

It's been a few weeks since I posted a roast, but today I have a good(odd) one. I roasted some Sulawesi Toroja to what should have been a medium roast (city/city+) but what came out was a bit weird looking. The beans were really inconsistent in color with a lot of marbling. This is the first time I've done these beans, so we'll see how they taste in a few days.

I also roasted some Colombia Granja Honey, just n case the Sulawesi tastes like mud or hay. These beans look way more appetizing.

Happy Roasting!

Got in 2 half pound roasts today.... arrrrggggg.... need to take the machine back apart as the bean dump solenoid is not firing and had to manually dump the beans.

Had a few other issues with the new controller so had to roast using VFR today (sight, smell, and sound only) so no pics of the roasts because I was just too flustered with everything NOT working on the roaster.

Got green pics though :001_smile

Green Tanzanian peaberry (Burka Estate)

proxy.php

Green Mexican Chiapas (Majomut Co-op)

proxy.php

Tried roasting some Sumatra Organic Mandheling tonight. The green coffee was very green, but the roasted coffee was quite black. :spockflam The roast finished quickly and I made charcoal instead of coffee. Ground some and it only smelled burnt, no coffee fragrance. I will let it rest for a couple of days and try a cup, but I do not expect anything passable.

proxy.php

This picture was taken with flash. Without flash it looks solid black.
proxy.php

Tried roasting some Sumatra Organic Mandheling tonight. The green coffee was very green, but the roasted coffee was quite black. :spockflam The roast finished quickly and I made charcoal instead of coffee. Ground some and it only smelled burnt, no coffee fragrance. I will let it rest for a couple of days and try a cup, but I do not expect anything passable.

Blend it with a light roast. 3-4 parts light to your dark roast. start out with a small amount (a single pour over) until you hit the right ratio. You will be pleasantly surprised as it may add a chocolate under tone to your light roast.

It happens. Like Mick said, if you can salvage it, good, but if you taste more charring then chocolate, compost it.

I had one batch that I believe was almost about to catch fire.

-jim

Good tips on my charcoal roast, I will try some of it straight up to see how bad it might be and hopefully that will not ruin subsequent attempts at blending in a little with a lighter roast. I should have known better, as I had roasted this same coffee a few months before and found that it went fast but I did not take a good mental note of it. I was in a bit of hurry to roast some coffee on Friday night in order to have some on Sunday and used my default choice of the Behmor P1 roast profile, which is the hottest one available. I walked away for a bit and came back to find the roaster smoking heavily. If this had been an African/Brazilian it would have been okay.

Today I cleaned the roaster and tried it a second time. This time using the P3 profile, which uses less heat. It took a lot longer to complete the roast and had to add some extra time to get through 1st crack. At least it looks a lot better.

proxy.php

The two roasts side-by-side:

proxy.php

Top Bottom