What's new

What Green Coffee did you Buy or Roast Today?

Warmed up into the 50's today so burned 1/2 lb of Guatemalan to just after 1st crack (408º) and 1/2 lb of Chiapas just into 2nd crack (415º).

smells wonderful but will need to wait a few days before enjoying it.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Good day to roast outside today :001_smile

Ethiopia Suke Quto to City

proxy.php

Sweet Maria's Classic Espresso Blend to Vienna

proxy.php

Warmed up nicely today so three 1/2 lb roasts

Colombian (City)
Mexican Chiapas (City+)
Guatamalian (FC+)

proxy.php

Mick and h_h, y'all have some awesome looking roasts!

Ah but the part that does not show in the photos is the snow melting down between the deck boards above me.

Roaster up against the wall so that it is under the kitchen door overhang that protects the kitchen entry at the deck level and the bathroom entry at the patio level (below)

Was 55° today when I roasted and that made it like a water fall under the deck except for that little space where I was "burning beans"

proxy.php

Last edited:
I worked my way up to roasting 1lb at a time. For me, less than 1lb at a time really is too much hassle because I go through it so quickly.

I also have a behmour 1600, but I have never roasted a full pound. What level of roast can you get with the 1600 and a full pound? I usually roast 1/2 lb to second crack or right before on P1 with 18 minutes as my time, however I usually stop early.

Great thread. I am currently drinking a Brazilian pea berry I got from Sweet Marie's
I've got a bunch of good beans for Xmas, including a Jamaican blue mountain from RoastMasters. I will post some pics of my next roast.

John

Got up to 65° today so did two half lb roasts.

First was some more Chiapas. Man that is some GREAT coffee when roasted lightly (just to the middle of first crack, about 405° BT).

proxy.php

Second Roast was some Rwanda Karenga roasted a little longer (FC or 412° BT)

proxy.php

We too had a warm day. So I also roasted two half pound batches.

First a Costa Rica El Centro Black Honey, roasted right up to second crack, a nice full city. Beans from RoastMasters

$ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391381121.031353.jpg

Second was El Salvador Majahual Tablon Tempisque, roasted to the beginning of second crack. Beans from Sweet Maria's

$ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391381322.279894.jpg

Question: How long do you usually wait to have your first cup from a fresh roasted batch. I usually wait 24 hrs, I have noticed that the flavor can be harsh within the first 24 hours.

John

Question: How long do you usually wait to have your first cup from a fresh roasted batch. I usually wait 24 hrs, I have noticed that the flavor can be harsh within the first 24 hours.

John

I will let my roasts sit open (in wire colanders) for 48 hours before starting in on them. If I just can't wait I will grind early, first thing before doing anything else, so that the ground coffee can sit for 10 minutes before brewing it. This seems to help "mellow" out beans that are just not ready to start with yet so that the coffee is more pleasant to drink (does not seem to have as much of that "woa wait a minute" bark to it).

John

To be strictly honest, it depends on how much old coffee I have left. If I am roasting for the next morning, I will be drinking a Yemen after 8 hours. I usually only drink a cup a day, so after 3 cups it is immeasurably better. It's an interesting thing to do (once) regardless if you can let it rest.

-jim

For my African/Asian stuff, I wait 2-3 days. For most of my Central/South American stuff, I'll dive right in as I've rarely noticed a harshness.
Interesting comment. Like @gearchow I rarely drink coffee immediately after roasting unless I have ran out and forced to do so. It has not happened often enough to make strong judgements, but I might agree with your observation. At least that the African coffees benefit from more rest time. When I do brew fresh roast, I nearly always use the pour over method.

If you find you MUST drink freshly roasted beans, grind the beans early.

Grind them 10-15 minutes or more before brewing. This will help let off some of the gasses within the bean to grind then wait before brewing.

This is just the opposite of what you would do with aged coffee (2-15 days post roast) where you want to wait until your water is ready BEFORE you grind (i.e. brew as close to the grind as you can)

One of the reasons I love roasting my own coffee, I think is that it reminds me of shaving. There are so many variables that you can tweak to change the outcome.

Type of Beans
Region of Beans
How the Beans are processed
Roast Level and Temp
How you grind your beans
When you grind your beans

Plus, I love coffee. But the taste difference from your home roasted beans is just hard to describe. My wife hates coffee, and has always been a Tea Drinker. But she actually asks me to make her a cup of some of my roasts.

Johh

So I had a cup of the Costa Rica El Centro Black Honey today. It has an unusual processing method, see link below. The honey prep of this bean gives it a very unique flavor. Roast Masters recommended Full City, which I did. However, I think next I will do a Full City+

Overall I liked this coffee a lot, and I think I am going to order 5 or 10 lbs

http://www.roastmasters.com/costamicro5.html

Wow. What an amazing thread. Some of my favorites have been hit on. Luckily I have access to some of the best in the country and pay accordingly.:D I'd never have time to do this. Great job Mick! I can smell it from here!

I had an coffee emergency his morning. I used the last of my roasted coffee this morning and had none for tomorrow, and it was way too cold to roast outside. So I roasted in the kitchen with the roaster blowing the smoke outside. Didn't stick up house too bad.

Tried a couple of new things this morning. First I created a blend, then I tried to roast a full pound to second crack.

I blended a Nicaraguan with an Ethiopian. I roasted it to the start of second crack

$ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1392257039.811863.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1392257405.284297.jpg

The El Salvadorian I roasted last time was very tasty, I would highly recommend

John

Last edited:
I had an coffee emergency his morning. I used the last of my roasted coffee this morning and had none for tomorrow, and it was way too cold to roast outside.

Yea, we got a "dusting" also so no outdoor roasting for a while for me too :sad: Luckily I had one nice day last week to roast so I think I can make it to Monday or Tuesday when it is supposed to be back into the 60's Worst case I get some roasted from the local specialty roasting house (KILLER coffee from them)....

proxy.php

This last weekend was a problem for me as well, I had just enough roasted left to get through to the warm weather that let all of the ice drop out of the trees. Being under iced up pine trees is scary. This pic was taken the day before everything got glazed with a 1/4 of ice.

$2014-02-08-12-17-12-770.jpg

-jim

Top Bottom