What's new

Dovo 1/2-hollow to wedge?

To my knowledge DOVO does not make razors in thicker grinds. The TI gnome is the most inexpensive new half-hollow that I know of, and I think that you can get it in a 6/8.

Darn it. I suppose that now I'll just have to "settle" for some more fine old vintage meat-cleavers if I want a slightly-hollowed wedge.

On second thought; that could work out rather well, couldn't it? :w00t:

You could get yourself a TI super Gnome. I'm not sure of the size but it is a partial hollow, 1/2 or something like that. I think all of Dovo's are full hollow ground.

You could just but a couple of these at $200 a pop.

EH.... Be careful. No idea how that shaves, and anything on the older ones in that department won't be helpful, since that is apparently another different batch of old blanks. But, I was not super impressed with the QC on my old Wacker. Nothing awful, but for the price, the fit and finish of the scales was not up to the standard I would have expected. Also, the pivot was super loose, letting the blade totally flop around in the scales, which is honest a little scary. I can tighten it easily enough, I guess. But that still doesn't impress me a lot.

-Mo

EH.... Be careful. No idea how that shaves, and anything on the older ones in that department won't be helpful, since that is apparently another different batch of old blanks. But, I was not super impressed with the QC on my old Wacker. Nothing awful, but for the price, the fit and finish of the scales was not up to the standard I would have expected. Also, the pivot was super loose, letting the blade totally flop around in the scales, which is honest a little scary. I can tighten it easily enough, I guess. But that still doesn't impress me a lot.

-Mo

I had heard that about Wackers, that the QC was iffy at best and that they are the mother of all razors to hone. Then i got one for as present and I must say that the fit and finish are fine. And it is a nice shaving razor too.

Then i got one for as present and I must say that the fit and finish is fine. And it is a nice shaving razor too.

Hopefully they have improved in fit and finish. And it seemed like it was a little variable, anyway, in that some were fine, and a few were iffy.

-Mo

you could pick up a wapienicia (~5/8) for very little and replace the scales. i think they are somewhere between a 1/4 and a 1/2 hollow french point. i have really been enjoying the shave from mine. i like the stiffer grind also.

cheers,
ryan

If you're looking for a heavier grind, other than the Gnome (which is a 1/2 hollow), there's not much out there for a reasonable price.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, tracking down a nice piece of vintage steel is, in my humble opinion, the best way to get a wedge/heavy grind razor at a reasonable price.

If you want something in pristine condition, you'll pay a bundle, but if you've got a good eye and are patient, you can snag some great deals off of e-bay and then have them refurbished. I have a very nice Rodgers 6/8 full wedge and a 1/4 hollow tapering 7/8 - 6/8 W&B that cost me less than $100 each - I paid about $10 each for the blades (e-bay finds), and then sent them to Joe Chandler for regrinding, polishing, honing and rescaling. Basically I have what are practically brand new wedges with custom scales for less than $100 each - and they shave better than any $100 new razor (not to mention the heavy grind, history, and custom aspects).

So, if you have patience and a good eye, vintage is definately something you should consider.

Wapineica's are quite cheap and often described as 1/4 hollow.

Good point - not sure of the grind, which I know its heavier than full hollow, but they only come in 5/8 or slightly smaller.

I've also heard (but this is not confirmed) that the original Wapis are either no longer available or are in short supply.

I just picked up a Gnome a few weeks ago. I am not impressed with the quality of the razor. It is significantly out of true and would be impossible to hone without a LOT of work. YMMV.

Joe

That makes me wonder... If T.I. sold me a "straight" razor, and it wasn't really straight (meaning flat), would they replace it with one that was? Anybody know T.I.'s return policy on that? I've heard this about the Gnomes several times now.

Top Bottom