What's new

Pilot Parallel Pen Review

I finally got my hands on a 1.5mm Pilot Parallel pen, and figured I would offer a quick review of my initial impressions. I did a quick writing test using the black ink that came with the pen, and wrote in a Leuchtturm 1917 journal.

Overall, I really like the pen. It's pretty smooth, and had excellent ink flow between the nib plates. It does take a little getting used to, though. You have to make sure to keep the nib flat on the paper and apply even pressure. It's not that hard, but it is easy to mess up as you write quickly across the page. You can notice a few spots where I definitely had issues. (Some were near the spine of the journal, where the pages had some curvature to them.)

You can even turn the nib sideways to make very thin lines, or write in broad strokes across the page.

Pros: For $10, I don't know that you'll find much that will write this well. Good ink flow. Easy to use. Smooth nib, if you keep it flat on the page. There's no top or bottom of the nib, so you can write with either side and it's the same on both sides. (So, easy for beginners, I guess..?) Versatile line width and a lot of variation when writing.

Cons: Looks and feels cheap. Wider versions of these pens will burn through ink quickly, so setting it up as an eyedropper would be wise with those pens. Appears to be a non-standard cartridge size and converter, but I could be wrong.

Feel free to add your own thoughts below. :thumbsup:

Here's a handwriting sample. My writing is not exactly a shining example of proper form, but it gets the point across. I'd love to try a true italic or oblique nib sometime, but this is a pretty fun place to start. And affordable, too!

proxy.php

I love my parallels, got rid of all my italic calligraphy stuff because of them,... if you get two and the mixable ink, you can do crazy stuff like this

$P1090769.jpg

all the shading and colour changes are from the ink mixing,... a definate win on the imagination of whoever at pilot came up with those designs

I love my parallels, got rid of all my italic calligraphy stuff because of them,... if you get two and the mixable ink, you can do crazy stuff like this
all the shading and colour changes are from the ink mixing,... a definate win on the imagination of whoever at pilot came up with those designs

+ 1, these pens are fantastic.
I like to use them to write little love notes for the wifey, that I leave around the house. The ink mixing is also way cool. Thank Syngent for that idea...
regards,
Bil

Perhaps I'll have to use your idea, wherndon, and leave a few notes laying around for my wife to find, too! I'm glad to hear these pens have so many fans! I definitely think I'll enjoy using mine for years to come.

Yeah I like that a lot, I think the set will be part of my next purchase, speaking of which where is that money I am supposed to get anyway, damned snail mail.

Top Bottom