What's new

This Week I Saw

...a Lamy Safari in my boss' hand during a routine meeting.

"Sir, is that a Lamy Safari?" He confirmed it was, and said "I've got a little bit of culture." "Outstanding choice, sir."

We briefly talked about nibs etc, and he was clearly familiar with a few of the current models (Pilots, Platinums, Heros, etc). He knew exactly what size would fit in the uniform pockets, which was, of course, a major factor for a Soldier's choice of pen! I did not ask about ink--I need three qualities, black color, doesn't smear/feather too much on cheap paper, and fast drying, and in the military these are pretty well unicersal.

I may bring a few of my vintage pens for him to check out; I think he'd get a kick out of it.

FP guys have to stick together, after all.

I loaned my M205 to my boss to sign a packing slip once,... he made my nibs squeek and cry out in agony (Its okay steel nibs can take it) I think your boss is way cooler lol

Id be shocked to randomly find someone at work I did not enable into pen having one of their own

I had a guy I fly with ask me about mine. I had my bright red Safari crammed into my flight suit pen pocket and one of pilots looked over and asked "is that a Safari?" I was shocked that he knew it by the cap/clip alone. He has one and likes FPs as well.

Aristeros, no joke about the need for black, black and black. I like Noodler's Bulletproof Black.

I don't know if Noodler's 54th Mass. would be enough of a black for you, but I used a sample and found it to dry quickly and water seemed to have no impact on it, very resistant to water. But, its a blue/black.

During the cold war almost every soldier in the Canadian army did a 3-4 year tour in Germany. Consequently the Lamy pen was about as common as a Cuckoo Clock or a Beer Stein as a souvenir. Lamy pens were easy on the wallet and even easier to find. German pens in general were well made and I knew lots of guys who had a nice Pelikan with a stub nib that they used for signatures only. Perhaps my age and my group of friends prevent me from being surprised when I see another fountain pen user. I exchange Christmas cards with a bunch of veterans as well as serving members and I would venture to say that 80-90% are using a fountain pen of some sort.

knew exactly what size would fit in the uniform pockets, which was, of course, a major factor for a Soldier's choice of pen! I did not ask about ink--I need three qualities, black color, doesn't smear/feather too much on cheap paper, and fast drying, and in the military these are pretty well universal.

Not trying to Hijack. Will start a separating thread if needed. This statement made me curious. What pen/ink/whatever fits all these qualities? I have been wanting to try a fountain pen myself but thought it wasn't agreeable with military service.

Awesome! Very cool that you could talk to your boss about FP's. Mine just teases me every time that he needs me to sign something in his office that "he's sorry he doesn't have a feather..."

Awesome! Very cool that you could talk to your boss about FP's. Mine just teases me every time that he needs me to sign something in his office that "he's sorry he doesn't have a feather..."
Sounds like a quill pen would be a perfect Christmas gift for the boss! :thumbup1:

$2865991_f260.jpg

Not trying to Hijack. Will start a separating thread if needed. This statement made me curious. What pen/ink/whatever fits all these qualities? I have been wanting to try a fountain pen myself but thought it wasn't agreeable with military service.

No sweat. Noodler's is good but it gunks up some of my pens. I like Parker Quink Black, but it will feather on some printer papers if I have a medium nib. I'm okay about 90 percent of the time.

Noodler's Heart of Darkness works in my EF/F nibs on all paper at work. my P51 (F) looks like a M nib on the copier paper printed forms though.

Top Bottom