What's new

My homemade 8/8 smiley

Man that's a nice straight! And it's your first effort. I don't think I could even manage a usable buttering knife!

It looks fantastic! It looks like it would be right at home in a pair of vintage scales. Are you planning a 7-day set? That would be one heck of a hand-me-down!

Just had the first test shave. The razor was not as sharp off of the hones as I'm used to getting, I need to learn how that big smile wants to be treated. Despite the razor not being up to my sharpness standards, I got a very comfortable DFS. As I suspected, I love the shape and heft of this razor. It really fits into the hollows of my neck well. I hit the balsa and CrOx after the shave and got a better HHT for tomorrows shave. Needless to say I will be using this razor everyday for a while. Yahoo!

Here is a picture after honing. The colors of the scales are not right, but I guess I'm a better blade smith than photographer.

$001.jpg

I want to thank everyone for your interest and support, as well as everyone on the B&B site. Without all the knowledge that I gained here over the last three months, doing this would not have been possible. I learned a lot during this project and want to try some new techniques on my next razor.

Thanks again to everyone.

That really is a thing of beauty - I love seeing talented people showing their skills, so thanks for sharing it with us :thumbup:

As the others have said, that's a beauty!! :thumbup:

Have you ever done anything like working with metal? I mean, it looks like you created your own little forge, but wasn't sure if you've pounded out metal, etc... before?

If not, what an absolute fantastic first try. I wouldn't even know where to start. Well done!!!

Well, I did say in the first post that I've worked with steel my whole life.

I worked in a machine shop for a few years right out of high school. Then I ran a one person welding business for the last 35 years. Very little hammer and anvil work though. That's why I pounded out the two practice pieces. I learned a lot doing this project and it was quite challenging.

My second shave with this razor was very nice.

Last edited:
Here is a picture after honing. The colors of the scales are not right, but I guess I'm a better blade smith than photographer.

View attachment 389685

I want to thank everyone for your interest and support, as well as everyone on the B&B site. Without all the knowledge that I gained here over the last three months, doing this would not have been possible. I learned a lot during this project and want to try some new techniques on my next razor.

Thanks again to everyone.

Incredible!

Well, I did say in the first post that I've worked with steel my whole life.

I worked in a machine shop for a few years right out of high school. Then I ran a one person welding business for the last 35 years. Very little hammer and anvil work though. That's why I pounded out the two practice pieces. I learned a lot doing this project and it was quite challenging.

My second shave with this razor was very nice.

:blush:

I did read that post, but it was a while ago. I should have re-read the first post before asking.

Either way, fantastic piece- especially since was your first try at hammering on an anvil.

Well done sir. :thumbup:

Looks good!
I may have missed it in you post... did you edge grind post HT or just hone it?
If you didn't edge grind post HT, you need to alter you set up to allow it. That will help shrink you bevel size.

Looks good!
I may have missed it in you post... did you edge grind post HT or just hone it?
If you didn't edge grind post HT, you need to alter you set up to allow it. That will help shrink you bevel size.

I did edge grind after the heat treat but was nervous about removing too much material. I had a slow turning wheel so heat build up was not a problem at all, but I was free hand so I felt I could easily over do it. I took a lot of material off by hand at the back side of the bevel to reduce the bevel width, using the bevel reveal to see where I was at. This was very time consuming.

I'm working on ways to speed up my post HT, pre honing, step. I just bought a used belt sander that I'm going to slow way down for this purpose.

Any tips you have on this phase would be appreciated.

By the way, thanks for your input on the 0-1 steel. I didn't have any problems with the drilling, but that was partly because of your cautions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom