What's new

My homemade 8/8 smiley

I have a shadow box type storage system that hangs on the bedroom wall that is made to hold seven razors and I do use my razors in a seven day rotation. Though the makeup of 'the seven' does mutate over time as razors come and go so I think the day etch would be restricting. I am a creature of habit, but I don't want my habits carved in stone.

Can you post a pic of that? I am looking for some storage solutions for the straights as my collection seems to be growing exponentially:lol:

Can you post a pic of that? I am looking for some storage solutions for the straights as my collection seems to be growing exponentially:lol:
$7 day.jpg

Very excited to be the recipient of the razor that started this thread. Thanks for the incredible donation Victor!

I got to shave with this razor today. What a treat. Perfect edge and great ergonomics in-hand--what a great experience! Thanks for sharing this razor Victor!

So does this mean a 6/8th's is in the wings?
My first reaction was "Oh boy, work out all my wheel sizes again, just when I'm starting to feel confident doing 7/8." Now I'm thinking that maybe a 6/8 should be next. I think I will need a wheel smaller than 2" to do the full hollow. That 1/8" really changes things. See Frank, You got me thinking .................................
.................................................Hmmmm, still thinking.

So does this mean a 6/8th's is in the wings?

My first reaction was "Oh boy, work out all my wheel sizes again, just when I'm starting to feel confident doing 7/8." Now I'm thinking that maybe a 6/8 should be next. I think I will need a wheel smaller than 2" to do the full hollow. That 1/8" really changes things. See Frank, You got me thinking .................................

OK, I'm jazzed to try a 6/8. I'm going to fire up the forge tomorrow and hammer out a couple 6/8 blanks. Dafonz is planning on coming over to shoot video and try his hand at the forge and anvil. Great weather for forge work. Yahoo!

A Gold Dollar is around a 6/9 and my 2" wheel fits the hollow, so you should be able to make one pretty handily with what you have.

It's the truth! I tinfoiled my first razor attempt right in the middle of the blade going for an ultra hollow...lol. Gorgeous hamon on that one too! I nearly cried!

Fonz slept in, so no video. I did forge two 6/8 blanks this morning though.
$DSCN1373.jpg
6/8 seems so tiny now. The funny thing is that they were actually more work! Since my stock is 1/4" X 1", I forged it down to ~ 3/16" X 3/4" before forging the blanks

I'm new here but wanted to comment on this excellent progression of builds. Truly is impressive to look at. It makes me want to make a few. Been wanting to build a big sander for a while and this is making me want to get err done. I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Top Bottom