What's new

Styptic Pencil vs Alum Block

Can anyone explain to me the difference?
And pros and cons of both?

I have a styptic, sometimes if I really screw up my shave I'll roll it across my face like I picture an alum block being used, but I'm not sure on the differences between the two and their proper uses.

Confuzius

My understanding is that an alum block is piece of alum crystal, while a styptic pencil is powdered alum formed into a stick. While the styptic pencil is used only for patching small shaving cuts, the alum block serves a multitude of purposes. It will stop small cuts in the same way that a styptic does. Wetted and passed gently over the face after shaving, it does the office of a liquid aftershave, with the added advantage that it has no odour.
This makes it a preferrable aftershave treatment for those times when we are in close quarters with others for long periods - long flights and car trips for example.

The alum block can also be used as a deodorant which, together with the above functions, makes it a useful part of a travel kit.

Best Regards

Graham

There are 2 types of alum. Potassium and ammonium. The amonium is to be avoided. The pencils are expressly designed to stop bleeding. The blocks are for face toning. I use the block every day and it has never done anything for me as far as closing small nicks.

I don't really care for alum as an aftershave, though I do use it along with a cold water rinse expressly to seal up small nicks (weepers) in lieu of styptic, and it works well for me. I have to rub it on more than I do with a styptic pencil, but the end result is the same.

I would still need styptic to seal an actual cut as opposed to a small nick, though. Alum is still a hemostatic so it'll stop bleeding to certain extent, but it's not as effective (or as harsh) as styptic in sealing a cut. It's rare that I'll get a full on cut, though.

styptic = for spot treatment. stops bleeding better, but leaves a residue. stings a lot

That is no joke.

I'll also point out that if you don't wash the styptic pencil residue off before you apply aftershave (specifically C&E Nomad) than it clumps into this nasty mess that makes it look like you have spots of chalk on your face.

Confuzius

.... Wetted and passed gently over the face after shaving, it does the office of a liquid aftershave, with the added advantage that it has no odour.... The alum block can also be used as a deodorant which, together with the above functions, makes it a useful part of a travel kit.

Best Regards

Graham

It's gonna have an odor after you rub it all over your armpits! :lol:

Besides, I just can't see rubbing the alum block on your armpits and then proceed to rub it all over your face. Perhaps they're small enough that you could pack 2? :tongue:

The sample size from Ems place is tiny, but should last for quite a while. I've used mine for about 20 shaves, and the only noticeable difference from the day I got it is that is seems more smooth and glossy from the water. It will probably last me near 6 months. Do note that I wouldn't say I rub mine aggressively over my face, and always pat it dry after each use.

Besides, I just can't see rubbing the alum block on your armpits and then proceed to rub it all over your face. Perhaps they're small enough that you could pack 2? :tongue:

"Sir, I must ask...just what is that aftershave you're using?"

"Eau de L'Armpit"

You have to apply it wet to clean skin (IE after the shower), it doesn't take the place of soap.
proxy.php

Long as you do that it doesn't ever stink.

I've been using the Crystal alum (ammonium) for about 4 weeks now, and I've basically been w/o BO since day 1.

I don't use either. I find that pretty much any cut I give myself seals up pretty well in a few minutes, and I shave before showering, so I just let plenty of warm water flow over my face. By the time I'm done showering, I don't seem to have issues with anything short of a real gash. It was a different story when I used to shower before shaving.

I use something really cheap and available to most of us..
ice cube(s).
they work well as an aftershave as well if you have super sensitive skin
and are in close quarters w/ people who are bothered by strong scents.

VFR79

You're quite right, of course, an alum block used for these various purposes will get nasty quite quickly if it is not rinsed off thoroughly after each use.
As long as you do that it stays perfectly clean.

Graham.

i kind of like the taste.. lol. seriously though, is the overuse of a styptic pencil (rolling over the entire face like an alum block) harmful to the skin?

I wouldn't think so. The ingredients are similar. Seems like it would be more painful though as the styptic usually burns more.

I keep both in the medicine cabinet. As others have already said, Alum block if for the whole face and Styptic pencil is for spot treating. You might also want to keep a small tube of Krazy Glue Gel nearby for anything those other two can't handle.

I keep both in the medicine cabinet. As others have already said, Alum block if for the whole face and Styptic pencil is for spot treating. You might also want to keep a small tube of Krazy Glue Gel nearby for anything those other two can't handle.

Not a bad idea since super glue was made for that but I would be very careful since you could end up welding your finger to your face. Now explain that to the boss on the phone!

Top Bottom