What's new

Pilot 78G

Before I was on B&B I had been looking at fountain pens. So a little shock to see this on here. Anyway I was reading the WiKi and maybe decided to get a Pilot 78G. I have sloppy writing with anything bigger than a fine point on a ballpoint pen.

What would be your recommendations? An everyday pen. I would like something fine, ink that dries fast. Size not sure something like the Pilot 78g or Metropolitan or the Parker 51. Writing would be note and maybe journal writing.

Ron

The 78G and the Metropolitan are always my two recommendations for a first pen. You can't go wrong with either. If you want a plastic body, go with the 78G. If you want a metal body, go with the Metro.

Pilot nibs tend toward the smaller end of the spectrum, so a Pilot M isn't all that big.

But this sounds like you would be well suited for the 78G Fine then. You can find the best deal for them on Ebay for $10 shipped with a squeeze converter and a cartridge.

+1 to all that. Pilot 78G with Fine nib. You can always pick up a Metro later if you're curious. The grip sections are interchangeable on those two Pilots. Just unscrew them and swap the section/feed/nib assemblies.

-Andy

what about ink that dries fast?

Noodlers Bernanke Blue or Black are specifically made to try ultra fast, although the trade-off is that they are boring shades. The Parker Quink lines dries pretty fast. Private Reserve makes some specific fast-dry inks, but IMO, all PR inks dries pretty fast .

+1 to all that. Pilot 78G with Fine nib. You can always pick up a Metro later if you're curious. The grip sections are interchangeable on those two Pilots. Just unscrew them and swap the section/feed/nib assemblies.

-Andy

+1 Both very nice first pens!

To me, the 78G with a fine nib was like writing with a needle. That being said, I find their medium nibs (78G and Metro) to also be on the fine and dry side.

I have a 78g with a Med nib and it's about like my Lamy Safari with a Fine nib. It's also a really smooth writer. I use boring old Noodlers Bulletproof Black and it dries fast enough that it only rarely smears. It is prone to nib creep, but that's also never caused me any grief. It's just aesthetic.

Well guys thanks again for all the suggestions but several doctor bills have come and need to put this off for at least a month. Thanks again.

Ron

Top Bottom